If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Please do NOT bring the new UI to other platforms

beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,980Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was very happy for the most part with the new UI introduced a couple years ago (a la PMP 1.3). I had my issues, like horizontal scrolling, and wanting to turn Discovery off, but I liked the overall look and feel.

PMP 2 is ruining all that. The only positive thing I've seen is that horizontal scrolling in the libraries is gone, which, admittedly, is a MAJOR improvement.

You've already degraded the Roku app with the blurred backgrounds that can't be turned off. Please do NOT screw it up further with the mingled servers. If you simply must, please give us the option to turn it the hell off.

I know, user options make developers unhappy. Well, user options make paying customers happy.

«13

Comments

  • beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,980Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    This would have been better:

    Server selection could be done as above, or in the dialog that PMP2 has, but with some changes:

  • SteveMcNallySteveMcNally Posts: 326Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I like it. Once it's working better and comes to Xbox I will start using that as my main client again!

  • GittalonglildoggiesGittalonglildoggies Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I absolutely agree. And from a design aspect it would flow better, having all navigation vertical, both menus and library content.

    My rig:
    OpenPHT - HTPC - Intel NUC6i5SYH - Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Edition, 16 GB ECC memory, Dual core 1.9 GHz, 500 GB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet.
    PMS - HTMac Server - MacPro (late 2013) - OSX 10.12.3, 12GB ECC memory, Quad core 3.7 GHz, 1 TB PCIE SSD, 1 GB Ethernet. All media stored on NAS, mounted via smb.
    NAS - Iomega StorCenter ix4-200d: firmware v3.2.14.30167, 4 - 1 TB Western Digital Black (enterprise 1.5 million hrs MTtF), all services disabled except for CIFS. Dual homed 1 GB nics.

  • a351must2a351must2 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Throw in the ability to select which folder is default in each category and those suggestions would be about perfect. The new UI keeps driving me nuts when I got to the TV shows category and it keeps reverting to my documentary shows instead of regular tv shows.

  • adamstewiegreenadamstewiegreen Posts: 92Members ✭✭

    @beckfield said:
    PMP 2 is ruining all that. The only positive thing I've seen is that horizontal scrolling in the libraries is gone, which, admittedly, is a MAJOR improvement.

    And they brought vertical scrolling back everywhere else (discovery, tv seasons, tv episodes).

    The movie info screen really pisses me off too. The circles for the actors (which 90% of the time contain no images) look out of place, plus there is section for related movies (why? I already selected a movie) and movies in the same collection. All separated by vertical lines. looks awful. It's the same design as their KODI addon - I use Kodi as my primary player through PKC because I simply cannot use the plex addon.

  • SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 961Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I personally like the new UI, that said.... it needs work.

  • DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 180Members ✭✭✭

    I don't get the hate. For the most part I like it quite a bit.

    I particularly like that we can see cast/actor images - though so far I have only got that to work for TV shows - not movies.

    I also love how when you search by actor or genre there is a new scrollable interface that allows you to see a pic and summary for each movie in the group. Same with TV show episodes - though oddly the scrolling is left to right instead of up and down. But, still Nice!

    Still have my usual grips (wish Collections, genres, actors were top level menus, wish there was a far better collections/actors interface, wish we could search by actor on Roku, wish I could hide certain libraries and/or turn off some of the auto-discovery features on a library by library basis etc.) but in the main I like it better.

    Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

  • AfullmarkAfullmark Posts: 697Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @beckfield said:
    This would have been better:

    Server selection could be done as above, or in the dialog that PMP2 has, but with some changes:

    I like the new design, but rather than Movie libraries expanding upwards and then horizontally, maybe just expanding directly horizontally, masking the TV, Video, Music icons temporarily.

  • beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,980Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 30

    I'll admit, I may have overreacted a bit, but my reaction to seeing libraries from all servers mixed when you go 'up' is downright visceral. Going up is not intuitive in my opinion, and I don't want to see libraries from all servers all the time.

    Plenty of people have complained about the blurred backgrounds. I'm a little surprised that Plex is forging on with that when it is so unpopular.

  • freinharfreinhar Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I absolutely love the new look, including the blurred backgrounds. PMP is currently the best-looking and most user friendly of the Plex players (in my opinion). If anything, I can't wait for it to make its way to other platforms ASAP!

  • techmattrtechmattr Posts: 239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm absolutely blown away that people like PMP 2. It literally couldn't be more poorly designed from a functional and usable standpoint. Everything that used to be one button press away is now 5-6 button presses away and completely un-intuitive. Nothing about the new UI makes any sense whatsoever. There is absolutely no way my parents will be able to use this. It took me 20 minutes just to find my Movies. I have 4 libraries for movies and now I need to go up (which is nearly impossible because the UI is so janky and slow now) and the scroll to the right through all the libraries just to find my main Movies library... it's the dumbest things I've ever seen in a Media player UI. Horrible, horrible garbage.

    If this comes to other platforms I'll definitely be leaving Plex for good.

  • DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 180Members ✭✭✭

    @techmattr said:
    I'm absolutely blown away that people like PMP 2. It literally couldn't be more poorly designed from a functional and usable standpoint. Everything that used to be one button press away is now 5-6 button presses away and completely un-intuitive. Nothing about the new UI makes any sense whatsoever. There is absolutely no way my parents will be able to use this. It took me 20 minutes just to find my Movies. I have 4 libraries for movies and now I need to go up (which is nearly impossible because the UI is so janky and slow now) and the scroll to the right through all the libraries just to find my main Movies library... it's the dumbest things I've ever seen in a Media player UI. Horrible, horrible garbage.

    If this comes to other platforms I'll definitely be leaving Plex for good.

    Couldn't disagree more. Most normal people (especially parents and grandparents) don't have multiple movie libraries. Took me 10 seconds to find my movies.

    Granted, its different and people invested in the old UI will have a learning curve. But people brand new to this with just one movie and one tv library (as is the case of most normal uses) would find this incredibly easy and intuitive. Far easier than the prior movie-poster interface that always required clicking the 'more' option to see stuff.

    The genre, actor, collections etc. functionality are sadly buried as ever. Wish they were higher level or optionally higher level - especially collections. But for my testing, it seems far easier for me (a 6 year veteran of several Plex interfaces) than the current interface.

    As for speed you should check out your PCs specs. I have a 7 year old PC with all my media on a Drobo and it runs lightening fast. The only laggy thing I have noticed is when typing in letters in the search box. I assume that will get fixed over time.

    Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

  • techmattrtechmattr Posts: 239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DaleDietrich said:

    @techmattr said:
    I'm absolutely blown away that people like PMP 2. It literally couldn't be more poorly designed from a functional and usable standpoint. Everything that used to be one button press away is now 5-6 button presses away and completely un-intuitive. Nothing about the new UI makes any sense whatsoever. There is absolutely no way my parents will be able to use this. It took me 20 minutes just to find my Movies. I have 4 libraries for movies and now I need to go up (which is nearly impossible because the UI is so janky and slow now) and the scroll to the right through all the libraries just to find my main Movies library... it's the dumbest things I've ever seen in a Media player UI. Horrible, horrible garbage.

    If this comes to other platforms I'll definitely be leaving Plex for good.

    Couldn't disagree more. Most normal people (especially parents and grandparents) don't have multiple movie libraries. Took me 10 seconds to find my movies.

    Granted, its different and people invested in the old UI will have a learning curve. But people brand new to this with just one movie and one tv library (as is the case of most normal uses) would find this incredibly easy and intuitive. Far easier than the prior movie-poster interface that always required clicking the 'more' option to see stuff.

    The genre, actor, collections etc. functionality are sadly buried as ever. Wish they were higher level or optionally higher level - especially collections. But for my testing, it seems far easier for me (a 6 year veteran of several Plex interfaces) than the current interface.

    As for speed you should check out your PCs specs. I have a 7 year old PC with all my media on a Drobo and it runs lightening fast. The only laggy thing I have noticed is when typing in letters in the search box. I assume that will get fixed over time.

    All you had to do in the old interface was click left once... that's it. Then right there in big bold letters were your libraries. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on and I can't even read the text in these stupid tiny boxes that you have to scroll through to find your libraries now.

    I honestly can't think of any way it could be designed worse. I'm trying to think of things that would make it harder or look worse and I can't. They nailed it from that aspect.

    More importantly... you have to scroll up! The most un-intuitive direction to find content.

    My PMP is running on my workstation. i7 6800k with 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080. Every button press I have to sit there and wait 3-4 seconds for it to actually do anything. It's the exact same behavior on my laptop, and my NUC. Old interface is still very quick.

  • DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 180Members ✭✭✭

    @techmattr said:
    All you had to do in the old interface was click left once... that's it. Then right there in big bold letters were your libraries. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on and I can't even read the text in these stupid tiny boxes that you have to scroll through to find your libraries now.

    So for most people now they see a movie and TV library at the top. That's all MOST will need. The advanced users that have more than one movie library will have the smarts to know how to click up. Who knows if clicking up will be the long-term method. Might be that you can select it and it will show your other libraries. But who cares. Do you REALLY change libraries all that often. If you do I think you are an edge case. I switch back and forth, but find this no more difficult than before. I'm usually deep in the interface whenever I want to switch libraries (on Roko) so I usually hit the home button then pick a library. This new approach is no more difficult or onerous.

    @techmattr said:
    More importantly... you have to scroll up! The most un-intuitive direction to find content.

    Again, is that REALLY that hard for the few times a week most would need to switch libraries. Most will start playing what they stopped from the home screen. At least I would. How is clicking up hard? Maybe its not intuitive to someone who has been doing it differently for a long time but I don't see it as hard to learn or relearn.

    @techmattr said:
    My PMP is running on my workstation. i7 6800k with 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080. Every button press I have to sit there and wait 3-4 seconds for it to actually do anything. It's the exact same behavior on my laptop, and my NUC. Old interface is still very quick.

    Seriously you have something wrong with your setup! I have a 7 year old i5 something or other with 16 GB of RAM connecting to my content via USB 3 and it runs bat-out-of-hell fast. Faster than the web interface. Faster than my current roku - far far faster!

    ...Dale

    Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

  • techmattrtechmattr Posts: 239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DaleDietrich said:

    @techmattr said:
    All you had to do in the old interface was click left once... that's it. Then right there in big bold letters were your libraries. I have 20/20 vision with my glasses on and I can't even read the text in these stupid tiny boxes that you have to scroll through to find your libraries now.

    So for most people now they see a movie and TV library at the top. That's all MOST will need. The advanced users that have more than one movie library will have the smarts to know how to click up. Who knows if clicking up will be the long-term method. Might be that you can select it and it will show your other libraries. But who cares. Do you REALLY change libraries all that often. If you do I think you are an edge case. I switch back and forth, but find this no more difficult than before. I'm usually deep in the interface whenever I want to switch libraries (on Roko) so I usually hit the home button then pick a library. This new approach is no more difficult or onerous.

    @techmattr said:
    More importantly... you have to scroll up! The most un-intuitive direction to find content.

    Again, is that REALLY that hard for the few times a week most would need to switch libraries. Most will start playing what they stopped from the home screen. At least I would. How is clicking up hard? Maybe its not intuitive to someone who has been doing it differently for a long time but I don't see it as hard to learn or relearn.

    @techmattr said:
    My PMP is running on my workstation. i7 6800k with 64GB of RAM and a GTX1080. Every button press I have to sit there and wait 3-4 seconds for it to actually do anything. It's the exact same behavior on my laptop, and my NUC. Old interface is still very quick.

    Seriously you have something wrong with your setup! I have a 7 year old i5 something or other with 16 GB of RAM connecting to my content via USB 3 and it runs bat-out-of-hell fast. Faster than the web interface. Faster than my current roku - far far faster!

    ...Dale

    No ones just sees libraries at the top. You have to hit up twice, then scroll through, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 20.

    Switch libraries a few times a week? Are you serious? People browse libraries. That's a thing. It's not even about learning it, it's the fact that it's a terrible way of navigating content.

    There is nothing wrong with my setup. You need to read this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/284691/do-you-like-the-new-ui-in-pmp-2-1#latest

    MOST people are saying the same things I am.

  • DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 180Members ✭✭✭

    @techmattr said:
    No ones just sees libraries at the top. You have to hit up twice, then scroll through, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 20.

    When I say they see the libraries I mean they see the film strip icon and the TV icon. For most people with one library each, those are the libraries. Click on the film icon and you have your film library. Click on the TV icon and you have your TV library. Easy peasy. If you have more than 1 movie library than surely you are capable of understanding you need to click up from the icon to get to them.

    Plex did user testing with average people. If it was as difficult as you make it sound don't you think they would have figured it out. I looked at their announcement blog post and learned how to do this just from looking at the pictures in their annoucement. Truly you are making a trivial thing into a big deal.

    @techmattr said:
    Switch libraries a few times a week? Are you serious? People browse libraries. That's a thing. It's not even about learning it, it's the fact that it's a terrible way of navigating content.

    Yes, power users switch between their libraries. Power users are capable of learning an up-click and scroll right. Most normal people watch movies or TV or listen to their music.

    @techmattr said:
    There is nothing wrong with my setup. You need to read this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/284691/do-you-like-the-new-ui-in-pmp-2-1#latest

    MOST people are saying the same things I am.

    Well I'm not. I did nothing special. I installed the software and ran it. If you and others are having performance issues than it is clearly something that can be fixed as I'm not and many of the others who I have read who are testing it have not. Most of the 'reviews' I've read so far are expressing how fast it is for them. It is for me. That's all I can say. If its buggy slow on most users PCs then no doubt the Plex folks will fix it.

    Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

  • beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,980Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DaleDietrich said:
    Yes, power users switch between their libraries. Power users are capable of learning an up-click and scroll right. Most normal people watch movies or TV or listen to their music.

    Not just power users. Anybody who has their own (one or more) library(ies) and also has friends sharing libraries with them may have several libraries to browse through. Plex has said in the past that this is the most common scenario.

  • DaleDietrichDaleDietrich Posts: 180Members ✭✭✭

    @beckfield said:

    Not just power users. Anybody who has their own (one or more) library(ies) and also has friends sharing libraries with them may have several libraries to browse through. Plex has said in the past that this is the most common scenario.

    Yes, well, maybe they aren't strictly speaking 'power users' but if you can figure out how to share a plex library with your friend, then I think you are technically competent enough to figure out up click, right click(s), OK/Enter. I have a few libraries. I have a kids movies library. I'm going to have to teach my 3 and 5 year old kids how to find it. But I'm not worried. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

    Dale
    Plex Clients:
    2x Roku, 2x iPad (original and Air), Nexus 10, 3x iPhone (5, 6 & 6S)

  • beckfieldbeckfield Posts: 3,980Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DaleDietrich said:

    Yes, well, maybe they aren't strictly speaking 'power users' but if you can figure out how to share a plex library with your friend, then I think you are technically competent enough to figure out up click, right click(s), OK/Enter. I have a few libraries. I have a kids movies library. I'm going to have to teach my 3 and 5 year old kids how to find it. But I'm not worried. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

    Of course, we can all "figure it out." That doesn't mean it's better. I still think my proposal is a better solution.

  • techmattrtechmattr Posts: 239Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DaleDietrich said:

    @techmattr said:
    No ones just sees libraries at the top. You have to hit up twice, then scroll through, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 20.

    When I say they see the libraries I mean they see the film strip icon and the TV icon. For most people with one library each, those are the libraries. Click on the film icon and you have your film library. Click on the TV icon and you have your TV library. Easy peasy. If you have more than 1 movie library than surely you are capable of understanding you need to click up from the icon to get to them.

    That's not true. The icons aren't the libraries. The boxes still pop up and you have to scroll and click and scroll and click no matter if you have 1 library or more.

    @DaleDietrich said:
    Plex did user testing with average people. If it was as difficult as you make it sound don't you think they would have figured it out. I looked at their announcement blog post and learned how to do this just from looking at the pictures in their annoucement. Truly you are making a trivial thing into a big deal.

    Plex did user testing? Plex moves forward with whatever they feel like doing whether it fails user testing or not. Everyone hated PMP from the start and they kill off PHT anyway.

    @DaleDietrich said:

    @techmattr said:
    Switch libraries a few times a week? Are you serious? People browse libraries. That's a thing. It's not even about learning it, it's the fact that it's a terrible way of navigating content.

    Yes, power users switch between their libraries. Power users are capable of learning an up-click and scroll right. Most normal people watch movies or TV or listen to their music.

    You don't have a grasp of how most people use Plex. That may be how YOU use it but as I said look at the threads about how much people hate the new usability or lack thereof.

    @DaleDietrich said:

    @techmattr said:
    There is nothing wrong with my setup. You need to read this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/284691/do-you-like-the-new-ui-in-pmp-2-1#latest

    MOST people are saying the same things I am.

    Well I'm not. I did nothing special. I installed the software and ran it. If you and others are having performance issues than it is clearly something that can be fixed as I'm not and many of the others who I have read who are testing it have not. Most of the 'reviews' I've read so far are expressing how fast it is for them. It is for me. That's all I can say. If its buggy slow on most users PCs then no doubt the Plex folks will fix it.

    What makes you think they'll fix it? Or do anything about it any time soon? They still have the full screen bugs in there that make the app completely unusable for tons of people.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.