If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why is tuning a specific channel so hard?

nerdshowandtellnerdshowandtell Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

All I want to do is open plex (web, android, shieldtv, etc) and tune in the weather channel. Instead I'm scrolling trying to find the specific title of whatever is broadcasting at that moment..

This is the worst TV guide / channel browsing I've ever seen.

Answers

• AfullmarkAfullmark Posts: 680Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Need something like emby:

• KarlDagKarlDag Posts: 1,813Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The use of the guide like emby's is trademarked and requires licensing... Plex decided to cut that cost by offering you the current browsing style. Doubt that changes, unless people are ready to pay for this.

• nerdshowandtellnerdshowandtell Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 8

I'd pay for it in a second.. Right now its pretty much useless when trying to find a specific channel for LIVE TV.

• chelseaflyboychelseaflyboy Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree, even without a grid style guide, the ability to tune to a specific channel (by name or even by number) would make news & information channels much more accessible.

• allfatherwodenallfatherwoden Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 1

Decided to take the plunge today and pay for Plex Pass so I could use Plex with my HDHomeRun tuner instead of the now unsupported Windows Media Center. What a disappointment.

At first, I thought I must be doing something wrong because, SURELY, there must be a way manually choose a specific channel and set up a recording time.... Nope.

Props to Plex for creating a searchable programming guide, but....
    1. The channel number is NOT listed next to listed items.
    2. There is no way to browse the lineup for a particular channel.
    3. There is no grid showing programs for all channel numbers at a certain time (I seriously doubt this is patented and, even if it is, there would be clever ways to fiddle with the format to circumvent patent claims).
    4. There is no way to tell Plex, forget the programming guide, I know there is something I want to record on THIS channel at THIS time for THIS long.

I would gladly pay $120-$150 for the lifetime Plex Pass if Plex supported basic basic basic (seriously, come on!) PVR functions. I would trade in all of the shiny TV program thumbnails for the simple ability to manually schedule a repeating recording of a channel at a specific time and duration. Without this, Plex's live TV functionality is currently only good sitting down and finding a show to watch as it airs.

Plex, I want to give you my money, but your killing me here with hobbled live TV/PVR functionality.
    Please fix this.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,453Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1

@allfatherwoden said:
    Decided to take the plunge today and pay for Plex Pass so I could use Plex with my HDHomeRun tuner instead of the now unsupported Windows Media Center. What a disappointment.

Here's a few solutions:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/258695/how-to-install-windows-media-center-on-windows-10/
    https://lifehacker.com/get-windows-media-center-running-on-windows-10-with-a-f-1729919907
    https://www.windowscentral.com/install-media-center-windows-10

------ Click at own risk due to possible YouTuber Brain-Fart Infections - Suggest Foil Hat and Goggles --------

After successful WMC installation and setup:
    MCEBuddy Custom Naming and Conversions for Plex - The Novel:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1321322/#Comment_1321322

https://mcebuddy2x.com/ - MCEBuddy (Free)

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,060Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@chelseaflyboy said:
    I agree, even without a grid style guide, the ability to tune to a specific channel (by name or even by number) would make news & information channels much more accessible.

On of my biggest complaints as well. Often times I'll just want to tune quickly to CNN, Fox News or MSNBC and could care less what show is currently broadcasting.

Typically I'll just want it to keep playing in the background as well regardless if a show ends and another starts. Typical type of "watching" for news channels.

We need the ability to tune up a channel and down a channel as well just like you can do with your TV set/cable box.

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1

@cayars said:

@chelseaflyboy said:

On of my biggest complaints as well. Often times I'll just want to tune quickly to CNN, Fox News or MSNBC and could care less what show is currently broadcasting.

Typically I'll just want it to keep playing in the background as well regardless if a show ends and another starts. Typical type of "watching" for news channels.

We need the ability to tune up a channel and down a channel as well just like you can do with your TV set/cable box.

Good too see you, thought you had left since you hadn't played anything (that I've seen) for a while. Trying emby some more?

• cayarscayars Posts: 4,060Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Still have Emby installed but mostly use Plex.

Had a pole taken out in front of my house which cause my loss of internet via FIOS. 2 weeks later finally found out they were not replacing it due to costs and only have 2 customers. :( Had to switch to Comcast Xfinity service which sucks for me. I can only get 5 to 6Mb uploads and was used to 300Mb. But getting xfinity installed was another delay. Then after finally getting internet it took yet another week to start getting caught up on things before I could find time to start posting again online in different forums.

So I was out of commission for a while not due to my own choosing. :(

10K+ Movies, 400 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215K+ Tracks, 775 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1

@cayars said:
    Still have Emby installed but mostly use Plex.

Had a pole taken out in front of my house which cause my loss of internet via FIOS. 2 weeks later finally found out they were not replacing it due to costs and only have 2 customers. :( Had to switch to Comcast Xfinity service which sucks for me. I can only get 5 to 6Mb uploads and was used to 300Mb. But getting xfinity installed was another delay. Then after finally getting internet it took yet another week to start getting caught up on things before I could find time to start posting again online in different forums.

So I was out of commission for a while not due to my own choosing. :(

Wow that sucks. Nevertheless, welcome back :)

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,190Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Grid style is in the works! We posted an update the other day.

Grid-style EPG is something we all wanted, customers, employees, lab rats, everyone. It's not the only way to browse content on TV, but it is a familiar approach we have come to know over decades of cable and satellite box use. So why don't we have it yet? I'll get right to it.

Grid view was covered by many patents and initially was shelved due to legal concerns. Thanks to feedback from users (and even employees), the point came where we had to figure a way to do this. I'm thrilled to write that we are now working on it!

We expect it sometime in the next few months, before the end of the year (can't provide an exact date). That is our hope, though not guaranteed.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

@kinoCharlino said:
    Grid style is in the works! We posted an update the other day.

Grid-style EPG is something we all wanted, customers, employees, lab rats, everyone. It's not the only way to browse content on TV, but it is a familiar approach we have come to know over decades of cable and satellite box use. So why don't we have it yet? I'll get right to it.

Grid view was covered by many patents and initially was shelved due to legal concerns. Thanks to feedback from users (and even employees), the point came where we had to figure a way to do this. I'm thrilled to write that we are now working on it!

We expect it sometime in the next few months, before the end of the year (can't provide an exact date). That is our hope, though not guaranteed.

Thank God.

• allfatherwodenallfatherwoden Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had just resigned myself to paying for a lifetime Emby Premiere membership and an annual subscription to schedulesdirect.org for electronic program guide (EPG) support within Emby for live TV/DVR functionality, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Here is why...

Despite my great respect for the excellent performance and simplicity of Emby, my final decision was based on long-term cost and features, in that order.

My focus right now is on watching and recording live OTA broadcast TV. From this perspective, the cost advantage of Plex is access to the live TV/DVR feature combined with the reliable and perpetually updated EPG, all for the one-time cost of a lifetime Plex Pass (not exactly cheap at $120, but a bargain on the EPG over a lifetime). However, until today, I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger on a lifetime Plex Pass for one simple reason, the lack of a grid-formatted program guide showing all TV channels and program lineups across time.

Last week, I bought a month's Plex Pass to test out the live TV/DVR, so I knew it worked. But the inability to identify which program airs on which network and station number (which may involve adjusting an antenna to ensure good reception at a certain time of day for a problematic station) or to browse up/down/backwards/forwards in the program guide by several hours or days was simply maddening because I was seeing this grid-formatted feature in other products. But after reading this Plex employee's post (thanks to @kinoCharlino for bringing this to my attention), I felt assured that Plex would be adding a grid-formatted program guide in the near future. So, with my heart full of faith, I took the plunge and bought a lifetime Plex Pass while still available.

Finding out about Santa in my youth was bad enough, so please don't disappoint me on my belief in the soon-to-be-released Plex grid-formatted TV program guide!

Attention Plex: Seriously, you need to update your Plex Live TV & DVR promotion page to give prospective Plex Pass buyers interested in live TV/DVR notice that a grid-formatted program guide is on the way "soon". Without some hope that Plex will soon support a grid-formatted program guide like reasonably similar and inexpensive live TV/DVR offerings from Emby or SiliconDust, people like me are just going to pass on Plex.

• RayAdminRayAdmin Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@KarlDag said:
    The use of the guide like emby's is trademarked and requires licensing... Plex decided to cut that cost by offering you the current browsing style. Doubt that changes, unless people are ready to pay for this.

We are already paying for it? After all Live TV & DVR is restricted to PlexPass users. That said I would pay extra for a 'real grid guide' My family and I are struggling with the current view as nice as it may be. Plex please give us the option on what view we want.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,190Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@RayAdmin said:

@KarlDag said:

We are already paying for it? After all Live TV & DVR is restricted to PlexPass users. That said I would pay extra for a 'real grid guide' My family and I are struggling with the current view as nice as it may be. Plex please give us the option on what view we want.

Good thing is we've resolved the patent issues and will be coming out with the grid view soon.

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

edited October 12

@RayAdmin said:

@KarlDag said:

1. Like kinoCharlino just said, they've come around some time ago and said they'll give us a TV Guide in a few months.
    2. Plexpass is what, 5$ a month? The EPG recommended by Emby, Schedules direct, comes out to about 2$ per month. That's without the potential cost of licensing the TV Guide grid (which is now moot, but was a thing when decisions were taken). They can't give us everything for 5$ a month or whatever the price of lifetime Plexpass is now.
      I strongly disagree with the way Plex deals with customers, support and fixing bugs, but in regards to Plexpass features, I think we get a lot for the money.

@KarlDag said:

We already pay, Its called PlexPass.

@RayAdmin said:

@KarlDag said:

We already pay, Its called PlexPass.

Read 1 post above yours.

@KarlDag said:

@RayAdmin said:

@KarlDag said:

1. Like kinoCharlino just said, they've come around some time ago and said they'll give us a TV Guide in a few months.
    2. Plexpass is what, 5$ a month? The EPG recommended by Emby, Schedules direct, comes out to about 2$ per month. That's without the potential cost of licensing the TV Guide grid (which is now moot, but was a thing when decisions were taken). They can't give us everything for 5$ a month or whatever the price of lifetime Plexpass is now.
      I strongly disagree with the way Plex deals with customers, support and fixing bugs, but in regards to Plexpass features, I think we get a lot for the money.

And I agree and that's y I said I would be willing to pay more for it. I have been a PlexPass customer since 2013 and I have no complaints thus far. We get a lot for the money. Plex rocks and I have even sold about 700.00 worth of PlexPass customers to them @no cost for commit ion to me because I believe in Plex. cost or no extra cost we need guide data and the ability to change channels they way we are used to, That will give customers eager to switch to Plex and put $$$ in there bank account. As pretty as the guide data is now is not what customers are use to and navigating it from a 10 foot exsp is not natural. If they get this done I know it will be a big hit for them and convince more customers to sign up to PlexPass.

Furthermore Plex should just give us a tick box, Do we want the channel guide in grid or other and let us change it at will. The customer/user needs to be in control