If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Do you like the new UI in PMP 2.1?

Drumgeek01Drumgeek01 Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited August 2017 in Plex Media Player

For me, it's completely un-usable. I've uninstalled it and moved back to 1.3.5. What do you think?

[Warning, rant ahead]

For me, 2.1 is messy. You now go Up to select the media type (movies or shows) then you have to narrow the categories from there until you choose a library. This completely defeats the purpose of creating freakin libraries in the first place. On top of this, it now shows the media of shared Plex accounts, which only adds to the clusterf*ck that is this new UI.
/rant

Do you like the new UI in PMP 2.1? 339 votes

I love it!
27% 94 votes
I have no strong feelings either way.
14% 50 votes
I hate it!
57% 195 votes

Comments

• bluesnow01bluesnow01 Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please Plex watch the Orca's UI for Samsung TV HUB models, is the Best UI that you can achieve.

• adamstewiegreenadamstewiegreen Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really don't like it, and I have a feeling it's going to be rolled out as the new UI for all plex clients. The vertical scrolling (1 line!) for tv show seasons and episodes will drive me insane! Imagine scrolling through seasons of a show like The Simpsons?

• ThradarThradar Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The fact that I can't use a mouse scroll wheel in full screen mode is a deal breaker for me. I will never use full screen mode because of this.

• wayned42wayned42 Posts: 277Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Thradar I believe you mean "TV full screen mode" when you say "full screen mode". The web layout has its own full-screen mode as well (i.e. try pressing Shift+F11 while in the web layout). It would indeed be nice if the TV layout had more mouse support. I primarily control PMP with a remote, but from time to time I also use a wireless touchpad for some things. Maybe one day.

• gymbob721gymbob721 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Terrible! Most mouse functions don't work, it does not even display all my libraries. Unless I am missing something I can't even force it recognize a library that is on my server and works in the web interface but not the "TV Full Screen" interface. Going to uninstall and install the old version.

• srcristsrcrist Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's pretty bad. I think that navigating between libraries has become even more difficult, and I really dislike the fact that photo and video libraries exist in the selection bar even if you have none on any servers. The return of vertical scrolling is welcome, but only in certain contexts. It would be nice if they just added that as an option to the 1.X UI. There really wasn't a ton wrong with the old UI. It just needed some tweaks and options, not an overhaul. This version is, in any case, clunkier to use. Already went back to 1.X, personally.

• friedflixfriedflix Posts: 2,018Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have to say i think the UI evolution has not been good at all. Current XBOX based UI is not intuitive with d-pad. This new UI, I couldn't agree more with the OP in terms of lack of intuitiveness. I also agree that ever since moving away from the original (Plex Media Theater) GUI has been worse every time.

PMT GUI was straightforward, and could have been updated to enable big posters and navigating large libraries. The new UI seems to further discourage those of us who have had servers for years with multiple movie and tv show libraries. For newer users that don't have multiple movie/tv show/home movie libraries maybe this is a slight uptick, but again, the up click to down click...its just a step backwards in my opinion. really wish they stuck with PHT for all platforms.

• plexuserplexuser Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really liked the PHT layout too. I agree that if you don"t have a foto's section it shouldn't be in the shortcuts. I asked for a vertical scrolling lists in all sections many times and I would still love to have that choice.

• KoFFiE_KoFFiE_ Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For me it's slow, buggy and inconsistent. I have libraries shared with a friend of mine, and now sometimes the home-screen shows stuff from his libraries, and sometimes from mine, it'****&miss. In general it's also a lot slower and more sluggish, certainly on my fairly old 1st gen NUC (which is still perfectly capable of playing 1080p content) due to too much information that has to be loaded, 90% which will never be used. The place of the "continue watching" section on the home-screen is also pretty unpredictable, sometimes it's on top (where I would expect it), sometimes it somewhere down the bottom and you have to scroll for it. Of all UI updates I've seen over the years, this is by far the worst.

Next to that I've experienced some instabilities (certain key presses suddenly not being registered anymore, hangs, ...) but that's stuff that can be fixed. The UI on the other hand is a clear

• DwainnDwainn Posts: 358Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am not a fan of it. I rather use the old UI but there is no way to bring it back. I don't understand what Plex is doing. Yes many complained about the old UI but then they replaced with something worst.

• DwainnDwainn Posts: 358Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I liked having the same UI on the smart TVs and the media center. Now this UI is the odd one and it isn't as smooth. At least give users the ability to chose the UI.

• mglairdmglaird Posts: 74Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Dwainn said:
    I am not a fan of it. I rather use the old UI but there is no way to bring it back. I don't understand what Plex is doing. Yes many complained about the old UI but then they replaced with something worst.

If you go to the downloads page and Get an App, turn off the Plex Pass selection. It'll default (at least for me) to the Plex for Windows Store app but simply drop down the menu again and select Windows. Now it'll switch back to actual PMP but the previous 1.3.5 version which is what I've already rolled back to. And if that doesn't work, just go to the Plex Nightlies page and grab one of the previous nightlies.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@KoFFiE_ said:
    due to too much information that has to be loaded, 90% which will never be used.

And with all this information that is loaded, like actor thumbnails etc, we lost the "Director" line, and it seems it's planned to be in an "expandable area". I mean... the director should be there up front with the title of the movie, not hidden in some submenu.

I know it's only a beta, so I'll wait and hope that all this gripes will eventually have an effect on the finished product. At least let's give them credit for having listened to the gripes of people who didn't like PMP 1.x. I was not one of them so right now i'm reverting to 1.x for all my clients...

• shxshx Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have 3 libraries, movies, tv-shows and anime. in old design i could see all 3 and switch between them, now tv-shows and animeis in one library and have to do additional actions to select tv-shows insrtead of anime, it's frustrating!

• Terry CinemasTerry Cinemas Posts: 920Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If they just moved the “menu” from the top back to the left side. It would make it a lot better. I wouldn’t mind having everything the way it is. Just have it go side to side. Not up and down with the whole menu

Chris

Old username: CMTAHM

- (4) Rokus
    - (3) iPads/ 1 mini
    - (1) Windows 7 x64 PMS
    - (1) PHT
    - (1) MacBook Pro
    - (1) GTV NSX-40GT1
    - (1) Kindle Fire HD
    - (3) iPhones

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@wally007 said:
    If you need help screen or manual to start browsing a fricking media center - you're doing it wrong.

This is even more frustrating if you consider that Plex for Kodi basically did everything right, and was much better than this to navigate. Just let people choose whether they want aggregated libraries or not, or even better put an "advanced setting" to allow custom order, collate, aggregation of libraries. Make it hidden from "common people" who only have to decide whether they want all libraries or grouped libraries.

• WBoweIIIWBoweIII Posts: 292Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I cannot imagine sitting down in front of this new UI and enjoying my experience. Its just bad.

• VitoreroVitorero Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2017

Something is happens (50% hates the new UI!)... or something should be happen @Plex... o:)