Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex stopped being able to transcode after last update ( 1.8.1.4139)

darplex1843darplex1843 Posts: 6Members

I recently switched from Emby to Plex because my visio TV had a plex app, and I wanted to try it.
It works beautifully on the visio through the app.
I also have a C series Samsung TV, and a Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver that I wanted to support via DLNA.
I spent hours cleaning up my music and video library and correcting naming, and finally got the Samsung to play all the movies, but would choke on ANY TV show with " request cannot be completed". That's a problem for a different day.
I spent more hours trying to get my receiver to work. My needs are simple: anything that's not an MP3 or M4A (AAC) needs to be transcoded to AAC in an M4A container, which Emby was happy to do. Most of my music library is FLAC.
While all this was going on, the update happened, then everything came to a screeching halt.
I was never able to get the receiver to work, and the Samsung also stopped playing anything but native formats like AVI. I even tried good old MP3 as a transcode target for the Yamaha. Nothing. The best I can get is an empty container.
The DLNA log says "WARN - Failed to find encoder 'mp3_mf'" and no transcoding takes place. This is an example, as I've tried several different formats. I says the same thing about AAC or anything else.
I've reloaded PMS, and even put it on another machine in case my Win 10 install was fried in some way. No luck. Made a new transcode temp folder. Nothing.
I thought PMS used its own codecs. Why is it even trying to use the MF windows codecs? I checked for codec download function, and it's working.
So in a nutshell, I can't get PMS to transcode ANYTHING now, for any device using DLNA.
I'm ready to go back to Emby and put up with the visio's horrid DLNA support.
I've attached a typical log file.
Any ideas?
Thanks all!

Tagged:

Comments

• sam3sam3 Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 7

I'm having the same problem (using pms Version 1.8.3.4235 ). PMS fails to transcode anything using dlna with the following errors:

Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.496 [8208] ERROR - PropertyContainer::get - invalid frameRate value: 23.976
    Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.512 [8208] WARN - Failed to find encoder 'aac_mf'
    Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.512 [8208] WARN - Failed to find encoder 'mp3_mf'

It transcodes files fine when using the android or ios client - it just fails when using dlna.

I'm using windows server 2016 (with media foundation installed) and pms Version 1.8.3.4235.

Any fix for this?

• darplex1843darplex1843 Posts: 6Members

After an embarrassing number of hours, I managed to get a 100% working profile for my Yamaha RX-V3900, so it appears that it's not really a problem with PMS, but a matter of getting a proper renderer profile with a correct ID and settings. I still have not convinced my Samsung TV to play everything, although I DID get some movies to play. It will not even consider playing anything from the TV show section, even though encoding is the same. My Sony Blu-ray player plays everything from PMS out-of-the-box, so to speak, using the supplied profile, so it's a weakness in the Samsung's DLNA support. Here is my Yamaha profile, for anyone interested.
    I'm not giving up yet. I really like PMS overall.
    I've learned a couple of things.... one is that the PMS is exquisitely picky about the naming of TV shows. I'm sure that's at the root of some of these problems. You MUST have a proper directory structure and name format, or you WILL suffer! Almost as bad with music. If you don't fill the ARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST, and ALBUM fields, strange things will result.
    Stay tuned.

• darplex1843darplex1843 Posts: 6Members

UPDATE:
    I am back to being able to play ALL movie content on my samsung TV.
    However, it will NOT present the "all tv shows" directory at all, but works fine with "recently added". Everything in there plays perfectly. The problem is evidently NOT in the device profile, but something to do with PMS. I have no idea where to go from here. I can't see how anything but a server bug could cause this problem. There is no setting I can find to change the folders that are presented to the device.
    I went so far as to make a new TV show directory, and I only put a few things in there to simplify troubleshooting. I guess as long as the content appears in "recently added", I can play from there.

• kpmgeekkpmgeek Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sam3 said:
    I'm having the same problem (using pms Version 1.8.3.4235 ). PMS fails to transcode anything using dlna with the following errors:

Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.496 [8208] ERROR - PropertyContainer::get - invalid frameRate value: 23.976
    Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.512 [8208] WARN - Failed to find encoder 'aac_mf'
    Sep 05, 2017 20:33:37.512 [8208] WARN - Failed to find encoder 'mp3_mf'

It transcodes files fine when using the android or ios client - it just fails when using dlna.

I'm using windows server 2016 (with media foundation installed) and pms Version 1.8.3.4235.

Any fix for this?

I'm also having similar issues on Server 2016 with media foundation installed, see my latest post?