If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Save Plex library on nas

theliltank4901theliltank4901 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Self explanatory. Can I save my files on my nas instead of doing a share, from my computer. If so I have an asustor Nas running jbod

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 1,375Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Yes if what you are asking is can you run the Plex Media Server on say Windows 10 and have your library reside on your NAS...

As long as your NAS supports SMB/NFS/CIFS or some other file sharing protocol your server can understand you can have your library be a remote share.

• theliltank4901theliltank4901 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want to run Plex on the Nas and the Plex media my nas is powerful enough

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If there is a Plex Server version for your NAS, you are free to install it and run it from there. It may not be possible to move the existing database though.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

Plex Dance

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: Running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 1,375Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja
    edited August 2017

Sorry I misunderstood the question.
    Check the compatibility list to make sure your NAS is "supported"

And yes the libary gets stored on the NAS where Plex runs.
    I use Unraid which is just a home built NAS and have same setup Plex running on NAS and Library is local to plex.

Ok it's just IDK how to store files on my nas manually

Sorry guys I think I figured it out I just want to learn about NAS's

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,866Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@theliltank4901 said:
    Sorry guys I think I figured it out I just want to learn about NAS's

You've got the Plex Server install figured out, is that right?

For the NAS, definitely find a website/forum that's specific to your NAS - that is always a good place to start (after reading the manual of course, lol)

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Ya the install of the server is fine I just want my media for Plex on the nas

How to configure your NAS, copy to shares, etc, will be covered in the documentation for your particular NAS and on forums/websites for it as well.

Where are my log files?

Plex Dance

Most NASs you just create a "share" which is just a folder that is available to other computers on the network.

I have multiple "shares" one called Movies one called TV another Music...

From other windows computers I can open a file browser and browse to \192.168.1.x\Movies or \192.168.1.x\TV and access each of those network shares so you should be able to do that and just "Copy and Paste" your files onto your NAS.

In Plex on the NAS when you add a library and browse your file system it will show your NAS files so just make a "Movies" library item that points to the "share" that you save your movies in.

My network is not quick to start off with so i rather keep my media on the drive