If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Progress Bar Doesn't Move When Playing Synced Videos

AldohrAldohr Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been having a problem with Plex for Android ever since the release which added the ability to stream live video from HDHomeRun:

Whenever I am paying a video that is synced to my Android device, the progress bar and the time counter never changes. This only happens on synced videos; videos that are streamed from my server work fine.

Since there have been a few (I think two) releases since then, I figure either my install got messed up of the bug hasn't been reported yet. Has anyone else experienced or reproduced this behavior?

Thanks!

Answers

• marauder24marauder24 Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Aldohr I am experiencing the same issue on my Tablet which is running Android 7.0 and have seen this issue for the last few updates as well. Currently running Version 6.4.4.1644 and I can confirm that the progress bar does not move when playing synced content but does work fine when streaming content.

• plexuser_001plexuser_001 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing this problem too on my Nexus 9 running Android 7.1.1 (August 2017 patch level) and Plex 6.4.1.1644. Videos play and resume fine but the progress bar doesn't move and the time counter remains what it was when the video was first played.

• AldohrAldohr Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is there some step I need to take to officially report this as a bug? Any update on this getting fixed?

@Aldohr This issue has been fixed in yesterdays update. If you update your app to the latest Android version 6.5.0.1995 you should no longer have this issue.

edited September 20

The latest version breaks sync all together, so I cannot verify. Please see my comment in that thread. Thank you.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/288200/latest-update-bombs-synced-content

Also, I have verified: Android app version is 6.5.0.1995; Plex Server Version is 1.9.1.4272; Android OS version 8.0.0.

@marauder24 - Based on ManuelPG's comments on the Sync thread (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1520299/#Comment_1520299), here's what I did:

• Deleted all Synced Content via the Plex app
    • Uninstalled and deleted all app data via Android OS
    • Reinstalled 6.5.0.1995

I am now able to sync and play synced content. However, I am still having trouble with the progress bar. I have noticed that this only occurs when playing synced content while the server is selected. If I choose "Local and synced content" and play the media from there, it functions properly. This is true for 6.4.1.1644 as well.

Is it possible to completely delete the Plex sync database and start fresh? From what I've read on other threads it sounds like you need to root your device for this? I'm willing to provide relevant log files if needed.

@Aldohr To delete all data you will need to uninstall the app then go to your files section of your tablet or phone, then browse for the following location:
    Storage > Android > data > com.plexapp.android

Delete that folder and it will delete all your settings, sync data and any other files that have to do with Plex. Keep in mind though that if you sync you data to an external storage location (SD Card) you will need to delete this fold on both the internal storage and the external storage locations.

I've had this corrupted data issue in the past when updating the app and if you do not delete all the data from all the locations the issue could still arise since the corrupted file may not have been removed with just a simple uninstall of the app. If that does not work then you will need to contact a Dev and they will need to see your logs in order to locate the underlying issue.

@ManuelPG Just noticed that with the update to version 6.5.1.2049 I am back to where I started on this issue with the progress bar not moving while playing synced content and connected to the server. It does not happen when streaming or playing synced content while only connected to the local device that stores the synced content. This is the exact same issue that was happening before the release of version 6.5.0.1995. Can you guys and gals please fix this issue and make sure it stays fixed in future updates.

I've been using Plex since shortly after it was released, before any apps were available. This has been a consistent problem for the Plex team of reintroducing issues that have been previously fixed in earlier updates, on all platforms that I use and I'm sure a lot of the other platforms as well. More needs to be done to make sure that old issues are not brought back up in a new update. I know from experience that this would save a lot of time, money and headaches.

I do however, appreciate all the hard work the team does in getting us new content while still trying to work out bugs in all the existing content across the many platforms that Plex is now available on.

For reference, I am using an Asus Zenfone 3 Deluxe and Galaxy Tab S2 both with Android 7.0.

@marauder24 said:
    @Aldohr To delete all data you will need to uninstall the app then go to your files section of your tablet or phone, then browse for the following location:
    Storage > Android > data > com.plexapp.android

Delete that folder and it will delete all your settings, sync data and any other files that have to do with Plex.

Inside that folder is one empty folder called "files" and nothing else. I deleted the whole folder and it made no change to the app. The following thread suggests that the location is only accessible by rooting the device but I'd really prefer not to do that (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/73329/where-does-plex-for-android-store-its-synced-media-files-by-default/p1)

In any case, when I reverted to 6.4.1.1644 on Wednesday it completely wiped out the database, and I had to start over so at this point I would assume it's most likely not database corruption.

Also, I have upgraded to 6.5.1.2049 and I am continuing to see the same problem exactly as marauder24 describes it.

• chyron8472chyron8472 Posts: 258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also having this problem with the progress bar not functioning properly on synced content.

Moto Z Play Droid; Android 7.1.1 ; Build NDNS26.118-23-1
    App version 6.5.1.2049

Version 6.5.2.2091 still sees the same issue with the progress bar...

• avivlavivl Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The notification bar is visible. Some of the button on the remote (back...) stoped working

edited September 26

Version 6.5.3.2115 is completely screwed up. Even more issues now than just the progress bar with synced content. Now the app also crashes if you try to use the remote, and that's just what I noticed in the first 30 seconds of using it. Unfortunately things are getting worse instead of better... I will be rolling back to a previous known working version until the app has been properly fixed.

UPDATE I am starting to believe that this issue is on the server side and not on the App side. I have tried every version all the way back to 6.3.0 and I'm still having the same issue. I know for a fact that this issue did not exist before version 6.4.1 so the only logical explanation is that the issues lies on the server side itself.

• Sitruk86Sitruk86 Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just chiming in that I also have this issue with synced files.

• Brand New Pixel XL, clean install.
    • Plex app version 6.5.3.2115
    • Server 2012 R2
    • Plex Server version 1.9.2.4285
  • chris.greenchris.green Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this issue:

• Pixel XL
    • Android 8.0.0
    • Plex app v6.6.0.2384 (acd1ffb4)
    • Intel NUC
    • Plex Media Server v1.9.4.4325

Anyone still having this issue? Cause as far as I have seen, it has yet to be fixed since I have seen it still with each successive app and server update.

Yes, this is still happening to me.

Honestly, I'm beginning to give up on the Plex Android app. I used to recommend it to everyone, but I'm not so confident any more.

• The app crashes about every other time I open it (for the past 2-3 releases).
    • Randomly it stops recognizing any of the synced media on the phone. When you try to play something that's synced it will just "spin" indefinitely. To fix this, I either have to reboot my phone (force closing the app does nothing to fix this) or in some cases I have to delete all synced media and re-sync.
    • It only works about 10% of the time with Android Auto. The rest of the time is says it's not available.
    • I've tried completely wiping my phone and the problems persist.

I've written a PowerShell script that connects to the Plex API and synchronizes my Plex audio playlists with a USB drive which I then play directly from my car. I will probably be doing something similar with my podcasts as well. I still use Plex for all of my home theater media, but I've just about given up on the Android app as it's become useless to me and just a distraction while driving.

• chyron8472chyron8472 Posts: 258Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still happening to me too.