Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does Plex for Kodi Haddon require the Plex App?

OscarKnightsOscarKnights Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I have an Nvidia Shield TV with all my films/tv shows on, and I run Kodi on it as the player. Up until now, I've also had the Plex app running alongside Kodi so that I can utilise the server features and stream my media to other devices.

Now that the Plex for Kodi addon is available, I'd like to be able to remove the Plex app and use Kodi for everything, since the Plex app takes up storage space as well as Kodi - is this possible? When I disable the Plex app, and run the Plex for Kodi addon, it says that it "can't find the server" even though it should be accessing the media locally. This makes me think that the addon is trying to stream the media from the server, rather than play it locally. When I have the Plex app running (and the server running through the Plex app), the Kodi addon "connects" and I can see all my media.

Am I missing something?

Answers

  • OscarKnightsOscarKnights Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    Apologies for the title - autocorrect :(

  • foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 31

    No you do not need the Shield plex app if you are using Kodi with the Plex for Kodi add-on. But you will still need a Plex server running (which is different than the plex app). Sound like you are running a plex server on your shield? If so, this is still required to run Plex for Kodi.

    Kodi will not play media locally unless you actually have your media on the shield - in which case you might not need plex (or plex for kodi) at all, depending on your use case.

    Understanding your setup a bit better and what you are trying to accomplish (do you just want to play from your shield or from other devices as well?) would make it easier to provide help.

    Regarding the plex app itself, the Plex app is a native shield app and cannot be removed. I wouldn't worry about it though, at ~110Mb it is pretty tiny and would not free up any space worth noting.

  • OscarKnightsOscarKnights Posts: 5Members ✭✭
    edited August 31

    @foghat said:
    No you do not need the Shield plex app if you are using Kodi with the Plex for Kodi add-on. But you will still need a Plex server running (which is different than the plex app). Sound like you are running a plex server on your shield? If so, this is still required to run Plex for Kodi.

    Kodi will not play media locally unless you actually have your media on the shield - in which case you might not need plex (or plex for kodi) at all, depending on your use case.

    Understanding your setup a bit better and what you are trying to accomplish (do you just want to play from your shield or from other devices as well?) would make it easier to provide help.

    Regarding the plex app itself, the Plex app is a native shield app and cannot be removed. I wouldn't worry about it though, at ~110Mb it is pretty tiny and would not free up any space worth noting.

    In answer to your questions:

    • I have my media stored on a 3TB external HDD that is connected directly to the shield - ie. I can play all my media locally through Kodi no problem.

    • I would like to ALSO be able to stream my media to other devices while I am out of the house, hence the need for Plex.

  • sleeepy2sleeepy2 Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Plex for Kodi is basically looking at the Plex Media Server app for data. Plex for Kodi replaces the "Plex" app which is small. You still need the Server app that serves all of your movies etc. to the other applications (Plex for Kodi)

  • foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 31

    The plex media server is required - that is what 'controls' your library and sends the movies you want to play to your various devices. I use a PC for my plex media server - thus I do not have plex media server installed on my Shield. But if you want to use plex, a plex server is absolutely required.

    Where are your movies actually stored? On the shield or on your network somewhere?

    Are you only looking to play movies on your shield? Or on other devices as well?

    Sound like it would be worthwhile to read up on plex and how it works. Here is a decent starting point:

    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288286-What-is-Plex-

  • OscarKnightsOscarKnights Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    @sleeepy2 said:
    Plex for Kodi is basically looking at the Plex Media Server app for data. Plex for Kodi replaces the "Plex" app which is small. You still need the Server app that serves all of your movies etc. to the other applications (Plex for Kodi)

    So the Plex for Kodi addon cannot "see" the local files through Kodi? I thought that was the whole point?

  • OscarKnightsOscarKnights Posts: 5Members ✭✭

    @foghat said:
    The plex media server is required - that is what 'controls' your library and sends the movies you want to play to your various devices. I use a PC for my plex media server - thus I do not have plex media server installed on my Shield. But if you want to use plex, a plex server is absolutely required.

    Where are your movies actually stored? On the shield or on your network somewhere?

    Are you only looking to play movies on your shield? Or on other devices as well?

    See above post for answers (edited).

    My understanding was that the Kodi addon would act as the server, allowing you to have only one media centre (i.e. Kodi) but get all the Plex features?

    So basically, the addon will not free up any space on my shield, even though it has been advertised as so?

  • foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @OscarKnights said:

    @foghat said:
    The plex media server is required - that is what 'controls' your library and sends the movies you want to play to your various devices. I use a PC for my plex media server - thus I do not have plex media server installed on my Shield. But if you want to use plex, a plex server is absolutely required.

    Where are your movies actually stored? On the shield or on your network somewhere?

    Are you only looking to play movies on your shield? Or on other devices as well?

    See above post for answers (edited).

    My understanding was that the Kodi addon would act as the server, allowing you to have only one media centre (i.e. Kodi) but get all the Plex features?

    So basically, the addon will not free up any space on my shield, even though it has been advertised as so?

    Plex for Kodi is just another plex client. It does not replace the Plex server.

    The add-on will free up space on your shield if you were previously using Kodi without plex and had all of your media on your shield. This said, it would only free up space if you had a plex server on another device.

    Where are you keeping all of your movies. What is your use case?

    Kodi by itself can see all of your movies without the help of plex at all. You still haven't answered where your movies are stored. Bottom line is, the movies and the metadata (fanart, coverart etc) that plex (or kodi) uses takes up space. Plex for kodi is not going to magically change that.

  • OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,552Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @OscarKnights said:
    My understanding was that the Kodi addon would act as the server, allowing you to have only one media centre (i.e. Kodi) but get all the Plex features?

    No, The Addon will only enable Kodi to connect to a Plex server (even 'remote' servers) and stream media from there.

    So basically, the addon will not free up any space on my shield, even though it has been advertised as so?

    I'd like to see who is spreading such false information. Do you have a link?

    Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
Sign In or Register to comment.