Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

If you Kodi works well for you, why do you need Plex?

eyepeerdc@yahoo.comeyepeerdc@yahoo.com Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Answers

• foghatfoghat Posts: 340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 1

Depends on your use case.

Kodi on its own is basically a per device experience - you need to setup your library on each device, watch statues are not synced between devices, metadata updates are not synced between devices, other library updates are not synced between devices.

Plex is a client/server setup. You have a central server which you can access from any number of devices running the plex client (including plex for kodi) app/software and since the server houses all the update (watched stateus and such), each device accessing the server reflects these updates.

EDIT: and I feel that some people are getting confused with the about the functionality of Plex for Kodi Add-on - you still need a plex server to use the add-on. Essentially all the add-on is doing is making Kodi another option for a plex client.

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 1

Kodi isnt a Media server, but it a (very versatile*) media player. Plex is a Mediaserver, which can serve your media to many types of different Plex-clients (players) in a format that works best for that specific device; like Android phones/tablets, iOs devices, Apple TV, various Smart-TVs, etcetera.

This add-on makes your Kodi-player also a Plex-client (Which can be handy if you have other players who might struggle with certain media, which is my own use-case for it).

But if you don't watch media on multiple devices you are fine with Kodi, nothing wrong with that :)

(* Kodi's capable of many things (i believe it can also act as a server with the right plugins and configuration, but in its core its a media player first)

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@eyepeerdc@yahoo.com said:

It's the other way around: it's supposed you already have a PMS and use that, and you want to leverage Kodi playback features using it as a client for your Plex media server. For example on a Linux box where you can't find an official standalone Plex client, Kodi + PfK is a viable solution.

• tiddertidder Posts: 5Members ✭✭

allows you to watch your Media without black bars
    4:3 to 16:9
    got some old media and some new media

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,333Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tidder said:
    allows you to watch your Media without black bars
    4:3 to 16:9
    got some old media and some new media

But that is NOT what many/most people want. Most people I know (all of them in fact) want to see their media in its original format. They do NOT want it artificially stretched (or shrunk) and thereby distorting the picture. Even with the fancy "smart" stretching that some devices can use for stretching 4:3 content the picture still gets badly distorted. As far as "black bars" goes, if your room is correctly lit for video viewing you should not see the bars as they blend into the background. In my viewing room I see a 4:3 picture with no visible bars when I watch 4:3 content and the same goes when I watch content that does not fill the screen vertically. Everything I watch is in the same format it was originally filmed/recorded in and I never see any black bars.

I do like Kodi in many ways better than Plex BUT, as others have said, Kodi is really for a single machine and Plex can be used to keep all media in a central location and serve it to several different devices.

Also in many ways the very thing that makes Kodi so strong, its versatility and ability to be customized, makes it too complex for many to use. Plex is not configurable enough but Kodi has gone WAY overboard is its abilities. It is very easy to get lost in its complexities and lose the ability to do even simple things.

For those that are happy with Kodi and can handle its complexities and want to use their media player on just one machine there is no reason to move to Plex but for those of us that want more Plex is a good move in the correct direction.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,200Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Kodi isn't a server.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• paulblueskiespaulblueskies Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 3

As an NVIDIA Shield user let me just say that I use PMS on the Shield but find the Plex client on the shield unreliable (especially playing content that PMS recorded ironically) and video navigation (skipping forward/backwards etc.) to be clunky, so I use SPMC (Kodi fork) with the Plex add-on which plays everything well and video navigation is far superior to the Plex client. The only negative is that occasionally whilst running the Plex add-on SPMC locks up and I have to force-stop it and restart it - hopefully that will be fixed at some stage.

Just my opinion. YMMV. Blueskies, Paul

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@paulblueskies if you're still experiencing lockups using Kodi (not SPMC) v17, I would love to see some logs: https://github.com/plexinc/plex-for-kodi/issues/123

Any reason why you use SPMC over Kodi? The SPMC dev has declared SPMC dead and has merged all the major pieces back into Kodi.

Hi @keithah , the only reason I was using SPMC is that the dev was using the NVIDIA Shield as the development platform and I assumed that it would give better integration with my Shild (E.g. voice search worked in SPMC but not Kodi). I was unaware that SPMC was dead, so will definitely look into Kodi as the replacement, and if I get lock ups will look into getting you logs.

BTW, do you know if the voice search piece was merged back into Kodi?

Blueskies, Paul

• teshiburuteshiburu Posts: 366Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:
    @paulblueskies if you're still experiencing lockups using Kodi (not SPMC) v17, I would love to see some logs: https://github.com/plexinc/plex-for-kodi/issues/123

Any reason why you use SPMC over Kodi? The SPMC dev has declared SPMC dead and has merged all the major pieces back into Kodi.

Where did he make this declaration i can see nothing of it on the spmc github, or his website

3.63 Years of non repeating media

Regardless as to whether SPMC has been deprecated or not (am definitely interested in the answer to this though), @keithah I tried last night and found that I can reproduce the freeze situation in both SPMC and the latest Kodi in the same way. Please message me the exact methodology and logs you are looking for. Thanks and Blueskies, Paul

• pgalbavypgalbavy Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex allows me to stop and restart viewing in multiple locations on multiple devices. The On Deck feature is also very useful in this context.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Kodi is just a player. Plex gives me native support for multiple users, media database, resuming content across devices, remote access, mobile sync.

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:

Source on “The SPMC dev has declared SPMC dead” please?

• eyepeerdc@yahoo.comeyepeerdc@yahoo.com Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am grateful to all who took the time to answer my greatly uninformed question. I really how uninformed my question was when I COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE ANSWERS graciously given. Nor can I understand any of the content of the any of the PLEX forums.

Here is my lament - I am an old military retiree who is a geek but realizing that the complex world of servers et al has gone beyond my abilities.

Nonetheless, I bought the HDHOMERUN products and are happily using them for my OTA broadcasts. I got involved with Plex because I thought that I understood that Plex used with HDHOMERUN EXTEND would allow me to enjoy OTA remotely just as SIMPLE.TV used to allow me to do. I LOVED Simple.TV am I was so unhappy when they recently pulled the plug on their servers.

SIMPLE.TV was truly SIMPLE and now I find myself ensnared in all of this enormous COMPLEXITY just in trying to recreate what I enjoyed for many years.

I did manage to set up a Plex Server and it would work with the HDHOMERUN locally but not remotely. I did engage my router and made certain that the UnPP (sorry don't remember the exact acronym) was enabled. I did not fully understand the port descriptions but I did select the port choice in the Plex server settings. Sometimes my server would remain remotely accessible for a while but when I engaged the server from another computer on another network, the speed was glacial.

I tried using different computers as servers, but none of them were reliably "remote accessible."

Can't cope with this in longer. My wife complains about the enormous time and expense I am wasting on trying to regain the functionality which Simple.TV so elegantly and efficiently provided.

Can anyone try to convince SiliconDust (I think that they were the company offering Simple.TV?} to bring it back????

Thanks to all for listening to the rant of an old, disabled military vet.

• simon_lefischsimon_lefisch Posts: 137Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@keithah said:

I dont believe this is true. No where on his site/github is this declaration made. the last commit he made was 7 days ago.

Local Server
    CPU: 2.83GHz Quad-core (no hyper-threading)
    RAM: 8GB
    OS Storage: 1TB HDD (x1)
    Media Storage: 4TB HDD (x2) in RAID 1
    Plex Media Server: Latest Public Version

VPS
    Media Storage: GSuite Drive

Clients
    Nvidia Shield 16GB (1st gen)
    Amazon FireTV (2nd gen)
    Apple TV 4

• keithahkeithah Posts: 1,294Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Koying personally told me he was stopping development on SPMC and PR'ing all changes into Kodi. That doesn't appear to be the case based on GitHub, so I asked him for clarification.

But that still doesn't answer my question, why do you prefer SPMC over Kodi? You can run Kodi v16 if you prefer older skin/etc, which is what SPMC is based off.