Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

No Surround Sound and lots of buffering and general question

tweisledertweisleder Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OK couple of question. I have recently been trying to digitize my BR collection and have Plex Cloud and playing in my theater via apple TV app. When we watch from Plex we dont get the surround sound, but if we watch something else from Apple TV its all fine. Is there a setting in the app I need or did I rip it with the wrong audio?

Also getting lots of buffering mid audio. We have fiber into our house and the apple TV is hardwired. We get about 200 down and dont see this issue being from bandwidth into the house, I guess could be. using cloud sync via dropbox. Thoughts there would be great.

Lastly. If I build a local server that sits in the rack, can the AppleTV app play discs from local machine? With that should I just leave the files as MKV vs converting? Thanks

Answers

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,062Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For best results use H264 in MP4 container and AAC/AC3 for the sound - see Apple video files specifications.

Plex server does not support playing discs as far as I know.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz
  • BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex has no way to play discs from a computer, even if that's the Plex server. It only builds its library from mkv/mp4/m4v/avi/etc files in your media locations.

I don't think Plex is able to play DTS audio on the ATV4, so you need to ensure you convert the audio to another format when ripping your DVD's. The best format to use if you're using an ATV4 as your endpoint is m4v or mp4 container, h.264 video codecs, AAC stereo audio codec and AC3 surround audio codec, with srt subtitles embedded into the file. This way the ATV4 will play things natively with no transcoding required by the server when you go to play files.

• BastardSheepBastardSheep Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 5

On top of this, with iOS11 h.265 / HEVC will be supported, so if you're doing a large ripping/conversion session maybe hold off until that's released and ripping/conversion apps have working defaults. It'll save you a ton of drive space.

• tweisledertweisleder Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for all the info. I decided to bag the Plex Cloud server and just use a computer. I was converting to the highest video format for ATV4 and to convert from MKV to m4v or mp4 was taking 2-3 hrs per disc using handbrake.

Right now I am leaving the discs in MKV and bought two 8T external drives at 7200 RPM. Seems to work pretty good and saves me a ton of time. The drives these days are not expensive. Other than taking 30G per BR disc any issues with just running off that?

Thanks for the comments

• Maxwell SmartMaxwell Smart Posts: 177Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The buffering issue might have been the recently introduced issue that we are still waiting to hear back from the dev's for a resolution on:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/276244/all-of-a-sudden-after-last-few-updates-some-files-buffer-and-say-server-isnt-fast-enough#latest

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,062Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@tweisleder said:
    Right now I am leaving the discs in MKV and bought two 8T external drives at 7200 RPM. Seems to work pretty good and saves me a ton of time. The drives these days are not expensive. Other than taking 30G per BR disc any issues with just running off that?

MKV -> MP4 can be done much quicker in Subler if videos are H264. It will actually re-pack them instead of transcoding.

30G videos seems playable on ATV but you might hit your local network limits in some circumstances :) It is also a large file for your PMS to chew when playing remotely and/or on mobile devices.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz