Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to quit version 2.x of PMP

mdubashmdubash Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass
edited September 2 in Plex Media Player

I use PMP exclusively on my home TV in the living room, running Win10, controlled using a remote. It's the UI to a couch-controlled media centre, right?

I was a happy user of 1.3.5 - apart from the tortuous route I had to take to change the video aspect. Now v2.x has added another gruesome UI experience: quitting the app takes six or more button presses from the home screen to navigate back to the username button, then all the way own to the bottom to quit. In 1.3.5, you pressed the back button until you got to the Exit prompt. Why does this not work any more? And could it be reinstated, please?

Oh yes, and while you're at it, add the video aspect setting to the in-video pop-up settings menu!

Answers

• EvenKeeldEvenKeeld Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mdubash said:
    I use PMP exclusively on my home TV in the living room, running Win10, controlled using a remote. It's the UI to a couch-controlled media centre, right?

I was a happy user of 1.3.5 - apart from the tortuous route I had to take to change the video aspect. Now v2.x has added another gruesome UI experience: quitting the app takes six or more button presses from the home screen to navigate back to the username button, then all the way own to the bottom to quit. In 1.3.5, you pressed the back button until you got to the Exit prompt. Why does this not work any more? And could it be reinstated, please?

Oh yes, and while you're at it, add the video aspect setting to the in-video pop-up settings menu!

Hell yes, please.

• mdubashmdubash Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Well, I've just downloaded and installed 1.3.4 which works perfectly (1.3.5 has the weird colour shift issue). I'll be sticking with this until the new UI is sorted.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I haven't checked it for two reasons (1- I don't like the new UI so I'm not using it on my TV, 2- I use the new PMP on my Mac and drive it with keyboard) but if there's still a key you can use to exit (maybe it's ESC?) you can map it on your remote

• nubbe2nubbe2 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree completely. Navigating back to exit is a very slow and unintuitive process.

• wayned42wayned42 Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

FYI, one key you can use to exit is Ctrl-Q (works with both 1.x and 2.x). Another (that I personally have mapped on my remote) is Alt+F4 (on windows) since I can use it to close all sorts of programs, including PMP.

• mdubashmdubash Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass

Yes, I could spend time remapping keys on the remote. But since this is a core function of any piece of software and one which is intended to be used in the way in which I'm using it, I feel (as a paying customer) that it should be the developers' job to deliver ease of use, not that of thousands of users to remap their remote control keys.

• dave@pulpfree.orgdave@pulpfree.org Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Bring back the "back to exit" functionality. Ugh.

• pottypotsworthpottypotsworth Posts: 139Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Pressing back to exit has been the standard behaviour for ages now, it is a baffling decision to remove it. At least give us a tickbox in the menu to keep it or not.

• wayned42wayned42 Posts: 263Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's been mentioned in the forums that this is a bug that should be fixed in the next release.