Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Error message - problem selecting stream

tel19tel19 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a very strange issue which I think started after the previous update. I was running PMS 1.8.1.4139 under Windows when the problem first started but have since upgraded to 1.8.2.4209. The latest update has not fixed the problem.

I am casting music to a machine running Plex Media Player for Windows 64 bit version 3.14.1. When I play a track from the web app on the same machine as the PMS is running, the volume control displays that the speaker on the player is muted. It is not and the track actually plays correctly. If I try to change the volume I can see the volume bar for a moment and change it but then the display reverts to showing the speakers as muted. The volume change does work though.

Also when selecting a track to play when casting to the Windows device I get a red message box up for a few seconds saying "There was problem selecting this stream" yet it works.

I have tried restarting the server and all the apps. I also tried casting to the same device from another computer but I get the same thing, the error message displays but the track plays correctly. If I cast to a different device (Android tablet) it works correctly.

Has anyone come across before? Is it a bug in PMS or the Plex Media Player?

Answers

• tel19tel19 Posts: 78Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I suddenly realised that I have only tested this using the Plex web app as the device controlling the playing of the music. Despite testing casting to different devices I only tried it with the Plex web app on both machines. I have now tested it with several different apps on different devices with the following results:

1. Using the Android app on a tablet to cast to the same Plex Media Player which fails in the tests above (PMP downloaded from the Google store). This works perfectly, no error messages, except that I cannot control the volume on the device I am casting to. This is not because it doesn't work, it is because there appears to be no ability to control the volume on the casting device from the Android app. Please let me know if I just can't find it.
    2. Using Plex Media Player for Windows on a 32bit Windows tablet casting to the same device (PMP downloaded from the Microsoft store). This also works perfectly with no error messages however, I still cannot control the volume on the casting device. This time it is not because there is no volume control, it is because the volume control doesn't work. Muting the casting device works fine but changing the volume using the volume slider has no effect.
    3. Using Plex Media Player for Windows 64bit on the same device as PMS is running but casting to the same device as previously (PMP downloaded from the Plex website). This was one of the computers which failed using the Plex web app as described above. This appears to work correctly in all respects. No error messages, the volume control both displays correctly and works correctly.

I can only conclude that the errors are related to the Plex web app and its communication with PMS. It used to work fine until the last 2 PMS updates so, presumably, something has changed in PMS with affects the Plex web app. Please let me know what logs you need in order to address this error and how I can obtain them and send them to you. Thanks

• fusarom66@gmail.comfusarom66@gmail.com Posts: 1Members

since new Plex update same is happening to me. While casting audio files to Chromecast on Macbook pro I get the error "there was a problem selecting the stream" yet the file will play. I cant find any info on this issue.

• ascheriit06ascheriit06 Posts: 7Members

Hi,
    I have the same issue since the latest updates (installed on a Freenas 10.3, Plex version is 1.8.4.4249).
    I have also the same issue with Plex installed on my Windows 10 machine.
    This error only occurs when I try to cast to my Raspberry (latest version of RasPlex 1.8.0.148)
    It works fine when I cast to my Chromecast.

Thanks

At last someone else is hitting the same problems as me. I was beginning to think I was the only one and it must be all my particular hardware.

I just updated to the latest level (PMS 1.8.4.4249 and web app 3.20.5) hoping this had addressed the problem but it is exactly the same. Error message: problem selecting stream and the volume appears a muted and doesn't slide.

I noticed that I have the issue only when I try to use IE or Chrome to command my Rasberry.
    It's working fine from the phone or from my tablet.
    I also noticed that sometimes (not all the time), the subtitles seems to freeze for some few seconds (not diplaying the next text). And this happened since the latest updates...
    My guess is that Rasplex will need some fix and upgrade.

Have you tried doing the same thing on a windows machine from the web app (IE, Chrome or Firefox) and from Plex Media Player? I think the problem is the Plex web app as I presume you are using the Android or iPhone app on your tablet and phone which is why they work.

I just updated again to latest level (Version 1.9.0.4252 of PMS and Version 3.20.5 of the web app) hoping it would resolve the error but it is exactly the same. The volume control still doesn't work correctly and the error message "problem selecting the stream" still appears. Other than that it still seems to work fine.

Still same the problem here...
    Are you directly viewing videos on your browser or (as I do) to control a remote app (such as Rasplex or a Chromecast) ?
    I can see Rasplex is still with the same version (1.8)... perhaps something will be fixed with new versions...

I have tried with PMP and it works fine. I will probably keep using it.

I have the problem now with PMP since its latest update (today's one)...