If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playback doesn't seek well, help?

bstottlebstottle Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've got content in JRiver Media Center, and rather than convert it to formats Plex likes, I've got a start at a channel plugin that will stream the content from JRiver (JRiver doing the transcoding). It is able to successfully play in several plex clients (web, android). However, the clients have options to skip (10s back, 30s forward on android) as well as set the position via dragging.

Any of these functions basically bring playback to a halt. I'm guess that plex is asking to seek to a specific position somehow (not sure what the HLS protocol does for these commands), and JRiver is trying to transcode everything up to the requested point.

Now JRiver also has an android app where seeking does work. However, looking at the JRiver logs, when that app seeks, it basically sends a new web request to JRiver, with a new start time as a parameter.

I'm hoping there is a way to get seek to work, and I can think of two possible options.
1) Are there some formats that better support seeking directly? Maybe some change in the encoding would help (currently using m3u8, HLS).
2) Is there some way to receive seek/skip commands in the channel plugin? Then I could update the url request myself.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,699Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

The way Plex channels work is that you are just creating an XML document with all the data about the media that each Plex player app can read. The Plex player app reads that data and decides how to best play the media. So each Plex player app completely controls playback and you cannot override the functions of the Plex player apps with channel plugin code.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ