If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bug Anyone, in PMS? Latest PlexConnect, latest PMS, multiple ATV stream fails

Hoping someone else can test, confirm, and help get this fixed.

As stated above, using latest PMS and PlexConnect. House full of ATV3's
When second ATV starts a stream, it causes all to stop.

Here is what I know,
Old PMS version works fine
PlexTrascoder.exe only spins up 1 instance with new PMS, old PMS would spin up multiple?
Other multi streams unaffected, only ATV's affected
When this happens, hit down on remote and you will see movie timestamp all over the place before stopping
It stops when buffer runs out, and starting the second ATV confuses the transcoder as to what ATV the stream should go to.

I've had to rollback to way older version of PMS to fix for now.

Anyone having this same issue or can test and confirm?

Answers

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,900Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

If you have a single PlexConnect install driving multiple ATV3's this should not happen. Or do you have multiple PlexConnect installs ?

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0411 (beta3) + PMS 1.10.1.4561 (beta) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP on Win10

No support via PM unless requested by me

• hutchpuppyhutchpuppy Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Sorry to take so long for a reply....didn't have my notifications set correctly. Only one plexconnect install running on the network. Just updated it to latest build tonight for plexconnect, PMS, Python and Pillow....tested, no dice. Rolled back plex server to keep household happy.

The temp transcode streams only for the ATV's are all in the same folder, and that should not happen. Should be one per device.

I'm at a loss right now. Same setup for years, broke with some version of plex server (not sure exactly which one).

So you are using the latest PlexConnect version, right ? Can you please try giving each ATV a different name (such as room1, room2, etc) ? I don't know if this helps, but I've seen in the code that PlexConnect reads this value from the ATV and passes it to PMS.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.4.0411 (beta3) + PMS 1.10.1.4561 (beta) + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Yes, latest PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017. Everything is latest version. All ATV's have different names in ATV menus, and the ATVSettings.cfg file show 5 unique [numbers] at the bottom (these are added when each ATV reads the global config file), although the last 4 are all FF54.

Do you have 2 ATV's? If so, give them a try playing at the same time for 10 minutes and see what happens.

The reason I'm thinking PlexConnect might be the issue.....is because like you said PMS is seeing all my ATV streams as the same device and it should not. That has to mean PlexConnect isn't sending some sort of metadata correctly.

But, only a PlexServer update breaks it, so now I fault both.

I may look like a rookie on the forum due to posts, etc.....but trust me, this aint my first rodeo.

I also use the iMovie app, not Trailers (guess that should not matter).

I also have my PMS and PlexConnect running as a windows service (shouldn't matter either)

I will try to fix this, but I need your help to test because I have only one ATV.

You would be my hero if you can figure this out. I'll help your test however/whatever you need. I keep a backup of my working Plex files, so rolling back only takes copy/paste time. Guess we could take this convo into a private message when your ready.

Just tell me what you need and I'll make it happen as fast as possible.

What is the PMS version where PlexConnect works Ok ?

v1.0.3.2461-35f0caa works for me.

• scbrewsscbrews Posts: 8Members ✭✭

I have four ATV3s in the house that use PlexConnect to reach my PMS.
    does this happen with any particular streams? stored movies, channel streams? ....does it have to be the same streams or different?

Plex Media Server running on Mac Mini , i5, 16GB ram, 5TB raid storage
    Plex Connect 0.5 for 5 Apple TV3 boxes
    Plex Apps for iPads, and iPhones

via Email
    Any media that requires transcoding. Does not have to be the same movie/file to test/replicate. Just need to transcoding files playing at the same time on 2 or more ATV’s.

On Nov 8, 2017, at 6:54 PM, scbrews > wrote:

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
    scbrews answered your question: Bug Anyone, in PMS? Latest PlexConnect, latest PMS, multiple ATV stream fails

I have four ATV3s in the house that use PlexConnect to reach my PMS.

does this happen with any particular streams? stored movies, channel streams? ....does it have to be the same streams or different?
  • mschlotzmschlotz Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wouldn't mind seeing this played out here vs private. Many can learn. EX) I'm getting ready to update PMS from further back but unsure how to be safe. Hutch, if you get the chance could you briefly explain what files/folder you backup and can use to restore a previous PMS version?

Sure thing. Hopefully moody_blue can help. I just wish someone could confirm they have same issue.

I make copies of the following folders before doing any upgrade/test. Then I'll run the new PMS install like normal. Test, if no dice, I just delete those folders and copy mine back from backup. Takes some space to keep multi-copies, but it saved my a$$. May be a better way, but this works for me.

For PMS copy/backup the following,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\ (No x86 if using 32-bit OS)
    For the PMS library,
    This is in your PMS server settings, default locale is,
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\

• scbrewsscbrews Posts: 8Members ✭✭
    edited November 10

working on a repro, stand by...

OK, My server is running 1.8.1.4139 . I was just streaming stored movies to 2 different apple TV3s for 20 minutes with no trouble, then started playing a channel movie on an ATV4 for another 10 minutes. No trouble with 3 streams.

So, not able to reproduce with 1.8.1.4139 on Mac Mini , i5, 16GB ram, running 10.10.5.

Plex Media Server running on Mac Mini , i5, 16GB ram, 5TB raid storage
    Plex Connect 0.5 for 5 Apple TV3 boxes
    Plex Apps for iPads, and iPhones

edited November 10

There are several problems facing whoever wants to downgrade PMS:
    1. Old PMS versions can't connect any longer with plx.tv. As a consequence they can't download key parts of the code. For example, I've installed PMS 1.0.3 and it does not download the MPEG2 codec, therefore I cannot test transcodes on that release (who installed it 1,5 years ago should be Ok in this respect)
    2. The layout of the PMS database (the MySQL one, where metadata is kept) changed in PMS 1.8. I suspect that if you try to use a PMS 1.8+ SQL file with an older PMS version it will be corrupted

Therefore I can't suggest any method to go back and forward between PMS versions except full backup as @hutchpuppy is doing.

Each transcoding session should be logged in Plex Media Server\Cache\Transcode\Sessions. How many subfolders do you see there while transcoding multiple streams ? Does the folder names contain the ATV UDID (in my case the UDID is C1MKGXNSFF54) for each ATV that is transcoding ?

edited November 12

moody, just to be sure before I venture into updating. Does the latest plexconnect (baa) and PMS 1.9.6.4429 work with the atv3 (also on its latest update 7.2.2, I think)? Are there any mods necessary to the config files?

via Email
    Works fine, I tested it unsuccessfully (my multi transcode issue) last night, and then rolled back.

I always have to edit the xml files like I mentioned earlier to keep AC3 working.

Be sure to back up your data like I said first.

I’m getting ready to upgrade again so I can answer moody question.

On Nov 12, 2017, at 9:30 AM, mschlotz > wrote:

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
    mschlotz answered your question: Bug Anyone, in PMS? Latest PlexConnect, latest PMS, multiple ATV stream fails

moody, just to be sure before I venture into updating. Does the latest plexconnect (baa) and PMS 1.9.6.4429 work with the atv3 (also on its latest update 7.2, I think)? Are there any mods necessary to the config files?

So hutch, the latest plexconnect will work if not multi-transcoding BUT still does not allow ac3 to work properly w/multi-transcoding unless you edit the xml file? ...and this is with running PMS 1.9.6.4429 correct?

edited November 12

Backup your stuff first as I said earlier.

Windows Server 2016
    PMS 1.9.6.4429-23901a099
    PlexConnect 0.5-dev-161017
    Python 2.7.14
    Pillow 4.3.0.win32-py2.7

Multi-Trancode does not wotk or me.
    AC3 issue always present no matter what anyone here says. (no edit, my Onkyo says "All Channel Stereo", after edit "Dolby Digital"
    I test multi-transcode before and after editing xml and python file.