If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[Bug Report] Personal Media Scanner Issues

Battle_707Battle_707 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

I've been a long time user and fan of Plex. I even was a subscriber at one point, until the features I got the subscription for became available in the free version. I'm writing the post as a continued support for this great service.

Over the years I have gathered a sizable collection of short personal videos on my media server. I like keeping them neatly organized and using Plex is a way to do this. There are however, two issues (presumably bugs) that I would like to report.

ISSUE #1: 'Title' field in metadata sometimes gets reset
This happens with roughly 1% of the films. When I update it manually, it will appear fine for a little while, but it always reverts back to the original title Plex gave it (cleaned up version of the filename). I have locked the field, tried to 'Optimize Database' right after, and even directly changed the title in the database itself. None of fixes the title permanently. It always happens to the same videos.

ISSUE #2: Actors are removed when Plex refreshes metadata on a video
I wrote a few scripts that allow me to add 'actors' to the Plex database and then associate them with videos [SIDEBAR: I am not sure why this is not already a feature in Plex. I have seen requests for it dating back years, and it frankly doesn't seem like such a difficult thing to achieve; add an 'Actor' editor (perhaps under 'Online Content') which allows you to add/ edit names and photos of actors, and then use the established tagging system in the current content manager to add/ edit/ remove them from movies...]. This works really well and grants me access to features that link films through actors, etc.
However, when I click on a title to load a film's page which I haven't visited recently, it 'refreshes' the metadata and as a result removes the reference. It doesn't remove the actor, it just disassociates it from the film (i.e. removes the rows from the 'taggings' table in the database). When I then add the actors again and refresh the page, the actors show up, so it appears to me that this automated metadata refresher only runs when the system deems it outdated. So far, this is the only instance I found where it disassociates the actors.

Both of these issues, it appears to me, would be fixed if the 'Scanner'/ 'Agent' could be disabled past the initial scan when new media is added to the library.

The library I am having these issues with has the following settings;

['General' tab]
Library Type: Other Videos
['Advanced' tab]
I have all of the checkboxes (3) unchecked
Scanner: Plex Video Files Scanner
Agent: Personal Media

If I need to provide additional info, let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Battle_707Battle_707 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

Update:

I was able to address both of these issues myself. This is how:

Issue #1:
    I found out that the entries that gave me issues all had an entry like this in the metadata_items table.guid column: 'local://<metadata_items.id>'. By changing this to 'com.plexapp.agents.none:/<media_parts.hash>', the agent no reset the title name. I do not know what causes plex to set it to the local address, but so far it doesn't seem having changed it to the different agent has any adverse effects.

Issue #2:
    After some guess work, I figured out that my adding '19' to the lockedFields in the metadata_items.user_fields (i.e. 'lockedFields=19') would prevent the agent from overwriting the associations.

I still think it would be nice to have an option to disable the agent all together past the initial scan, but at least I have this issue resolved for myself and maybe it will help other people out as well.

Thanks,

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,735Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited September 12

local means the item is 'unmatched'. So Plex will always try to match it when the library is updated.
    It is this 'matching' attempt, which deletes your custom metadata.
    Whereas the com.plexapp.agents.none means the item is matched as 'Personal Media'.

If you want to have media with all metadata supplied by yourself, you have to make sure that they are declared 'Personal Media'.

You can do this with
    1) Fix Match/Match just select 'AutoMatch' - 'Personal Media'
    2) Set the whole library to use the 'Personal Media' agent. ('edit' library, 'Advanced' tab) All items added after that are automatically declared as 'Personal media'.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

I have it set as personal media for the entire library. When I click on 'Match' -> 'AutoMatch' -> 'Personal Media', it doesn't seem to want to stick. The pop-up disappears right after I clicked on 'Personal Media' from the drop-down and when I click on the 'Match' link again, it just looks the same as the first time I clicked it (perhaps it is supposed to work that way).

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,735Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@Battle_707 said:
    I have it set as personal media for the entire library.

You are aware that this only affects newly added items?
    Items already in the library stay on whatever agent was set as default when they were added.

When I click on 'Match' -> 'AutoMatch' -> 'Personal Media', it doesn't seem to want to stick. The pop-up disappears right after I clicked on 'Personal Media' from the drop-down and when I click on the 'Match' link again, it just looks the same as the first time I clicked it (perhaps it is supposed to work that way).

Call up the Plex XML info. in the guid= you can see which agent is assigned to this media item.
    Find an item that is still showing local.
    then perform the Auto-Match to 'Personal Media'
    Wait a few second, then call up the XML again.

If nothing changed, this woudl be a bug.

Try the same by going through the full procedure, meaning
    click on Match/Fix Match
    'Search Options'
    set the Agent to 'Personal Media'
    'Search'
    pick the only "search result"

Do also try the 'Unmatch' command, if it is available.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

@OttoKerner said:

@Battle_707 said:
    I have it set as personal media for the entire library.

You are aware that this only affects newly added items?
    Items already in the library stay on whatever agent was set as default when they were added.

I set this when I created the library. I don't believe I ever changed this setting.

As for the second part, none of the metadata_items.guid values are like 'local://%' anymore, so I cannot check this. I will try the changing of 'Auto-Match' method next time a film misbehaves.

Thanks for all your help.