Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Video Unavailable" Error When Restarting

crazyivancrazyivan Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm getting a "Video Unavailable" error when restarting a long movie. This is only happening on my Roku 4, not my other non-Roku players. Thus far it's only happened with this one video. This does not occur if I force direct play and enable direct stream, which is normally leave off This has happened with both versions 4.4.1 & 4.4.3 of the Plex Roku client.

I enabled remote logging at 22:01 EDT, and reproduced the issue. My plex user ID is crazyivan

Comments

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,638Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited September 8

Just to clarify, you are unable to resume play of one specific video from the Plex app for Roku, but the same video will resume playback from other Plex player apps?

If so, I have seen this occur when there was an issue with the media information. The Plex app for Roku is more sensitive to incorrect media information than other Plex player apps.

When I encountered this issue, the media file extension reflected one format, but the Plex media information XML file and VLC showed that the media was actually another format. (Ex. the file was named tvshow.mp4, but it was actually an avi file).

So, I would suggest looking at the media information for the video that is having issues. The Investigate Media Information and Formats support documents explains how to access the Plex XML Information for the video, as well as how to use a third party program to compare the media information shown there with the XML information file Plex has created for the media.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• crazyivancrazyivan Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this issue is only occurring in the Roku app. I'm not having a problem with the most recent Home Theater release for windows, or the current iOS and web clients. My Plex server is running on Debian Linux, and it's version 1.8.1.4239. The previous version installed (1.7.x, if memory serves), had the same issue.

So far this is the only file I've had the problem with consistently. I did see the same error when I fast forwarded another movie, but it restarted without an error.

I looked at the Plex media info like you requested, and I compared it with the output of the MediaInfo tool:

• Container: MKV in both
    • Video stream - H264 in Plex, AVC in MediaInfo (I suspect the MediaInfo tool just uses AVC for H264, as I compared this with a number of other files, all of whose video is H264)
    • Audio stream - Plex reported MA, MediaInfo DTS-MA

Video framerate, resolution, profile, color space etc. match 1:1. Same with audio.

I had stopped and started this movie several times prior to this point without a single problem. I attached both XML files, in case there's something that you might find useful.

Did you get a chance to look at the debug logs from the Roku?

• crazyivancrazyivan Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well, after a couple weeks of testing the video daily, today it restarted playing without an issue in the current Roku preview client. Did something change, or did the ghost in the machine just get bored of the joke?