BUG: Strange behavior of Recommended settings for original video quality
I have some 1080p movies and their bitrates are only 7-8 Mbps for video. Including audio stream should not exceed 20 Mbps by any means.
Incorrect bitrate for Recommended setting?
The first issue is that Recommended setting doesn't seem to work correctly for these low rate video streams. Here are some steps to reproduce. The only way to get them direct play was to use Maximum (20 Mbps) instead of Recommended setting.
- Use Recommended settings for video streaming (
- Play any 1080p movie, then it's being transcoded to 20 Mbps as if it's set to
- Manually select
Play Original Qualityin the
Playback Settingswould fix it (direct play / streaming rather than transcoding)
- Then if you go back to
Home Streamingis now set to
- Play any 1080p movie, then it's being transcoded again like step 2 above.
- Now it's repeating step 3 and so on.
Incorrect bitrate for Chromecast?
Now there's another issue when casting them to Chromecast. Casting 1080p with either Recommended or Maximum settings would always lead to transcoding and it seems like the app fails to pick up correct bitrates for "original video quality". Here are steps to reproduce.
- Play any 1080p movie and start casting, then the movie is being transcoded to 20 Mbps. Interestingly, Playback Settings show
Play Original Qualityas 20 Mbps when it's supposed to be much lower like 7-8 Mbps.
Play Original Qualitythen the list suddenly changes its title to "Original" from "20 Mbps". Now movie is on direct play.
The issue looks like iOS specific since there was no problem when casting from Chrome browser on the desktop.