If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

The latest Fire TV UI (9/6/2017) is USELESS !

rockney8588rockney8588 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Which ever IDIOT(S) came up with the redone totally screwed Fire TV UI should be FIRED! Who dreams this garbage up?

A full one-third of the screen taken up by a huge menu of things rarely used while the things we use every day are off on BADLY done horizontal scrolls. Horizontal scrolls SUCK big time!!!

Would you please stop using high school students to write this code??!!??

Unacceptable! Forced no-choice installation of CRAP is unacceptable!! Change it back now or I will be sure everyone knows how Plex is throwing users under the bus! I will cancel everything and spread the word widely!

Answers

• thelanrangerthelanranger Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Seriously. How do we roll this back? There's no music anymore and you can't even read the names of the TV shows unless you click on them half the time! The only reason I even paid for plex pass to begin with was for the plex mix and now the music doesn't work AT ALL!

• rockney8588rockney8588 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There IS no "roll-back" ... not with the way Amazon and Plex handle FORCED upgrades. It is utterly ridiculous and downright insulting. They had better fix it and FAST or there will be hell to pay. I'm sick and tired of software companies ignoring paying customers and shoving whatever idiotic dementia their 20-something fools come up with. Solid engineering is completely lacking and there is no QA whatsoever otherwise this crap software would not be released. It's getting steadily WORSE not better. Fewer real features, fewer options, more pushing toward money, money, money, and damn the users we'll TELL them what they want !!!! If that's the way it's going they're making a lot of enemies.

And of course the Plex staff HIDES from pissed-off users ... these forums are NEVER answered and they can simply ignore anything they don't want to talk about. So it's becoming obvious that Plex.tv does NOT want to hear from anyone and plans to do whatever they want with NO input or feedback. These forums are worthless, useless, ignored, by Plex and serve little more than make it appear like they give a **** and to try to get users to support users because the company DOES NOT support users in any way, shape, or form. What's the point of complaining about their direction, serious bugs, or anything else for that matter??? It is IGNORED.

Does any Plex.tv person want to correct me on this? Please do!

• S-rayS-ray Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There are tons of posts on how to roll this back. Here you go...

1. Uninstall Plex from the Fire TV/Stick - settings, applications, manage applications, Plex, clear app data, clear cache, Uninstall
    2. Whilst still in Applications scroll up to Appstore and turn off auto updates.
    3. Using the Amazon App Store download “Downloader”
    4. On the Fire TV/Stick go into Settings, Device and then Developer options and select Apps from Unknown Sources and switch ON
    5. Open Downloader and enter this URL https://goo.gl/bqeazo (I created this short URL from the original https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/plex-6-4-1-1644-release/plex-6-4-1-1644-2-android-apk-download/download/ )
    6. Downloaded will open the URL and will throw up a Javascript error. Click ok and use the Amazon remote to move the red circle (pointer) down to click on “Your download will start immediately. If not, please click here.”
    7. It will start downloading Plex and once it’s finished scroll to the bottom of the page and click INSTALL
    8. Once installed click OPEN. Sign into Plex as usual and you will see it is working as it was
    9. IMPORTANT Final step On the Fire TV/Stick go into Settings, Device and then Developer options and select Apps from Unknown Sources and switch OFF

It WORKS!!!

• jasondunnjasondunn Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

While I'm not as angry as the original poster, this new UI is very different, and I'm not convinced it's well optimized for how people actually use this app. What I want to know is how to get back the loss of functionality...

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I said this in a different thread but ill say it here too "This single update makes me want to charge back as far back as i can go and switch to an in house only server, I don't know who coded the UI but it feels like a someone took a sh*t flung it at the wall and said hey that looks pretty good lets go with that."

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@rockney8588 said:
    And of course the Plex staff HIDES from pissed-off users ... these forums are NEVER answered and they can simply ignore anything they don't want to talk about. So it's becoming obvious that Plex.tv does NOT want to hear from anyone and plans to do whatever they want with NO input or feedback. These forums are worthless, useless, ignored, by Plex and serve little more than make it appear like they give a **** and to try to get users to support users because the company DOES NOT support users in any way, shape, or form. What's the point of complaining about their direction, serious bugs, or anything else for that matter??? It is IGNORED.

This is not news. It's always been the case since I joined Plex like 5 years ago.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• Foss Media ServerFoss Media Server Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I may be in the minority, but I actually like the new interface quite a bit. It's not perfect but what I can't stand is the lack of DTS/multichannel audio support. Everything transcodes to stereo which is a huge step backwards.

To address this at least for now I've loaded Kodi 17.4 with the plex for kodi addon. This doesn't have any problems with multichannel audio and works great. It's a workaround I shouldn't have to do, but at least it works...

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Foss Media Server said:
    To address this at least for now I've loaded Kodi 17.4 with the plex for kodi addon. This doesn't have any problems with multichannel audio and works great. It's a workaround I shouldn't have to do, but at least it works...

This is not exactly a "workaround": Plex for Kodi was developed for scenarios where the Plex official app is not available, or is not working properly for your hardware. If the player of Kodi is more capable than the player used by the official FireTV app, use Kodi + PfK without shame :)

@danjames92 said:

@rockney8588 said:

This is not news. It's always been the case since I joined Plex like 5 years ago.

Didn't know that a software company could get away with not providing any support whatsoever. Or answering questions like "why the hell was the IP address option for a server removed from the Fire TV app?". That is so utterly ridiculous it is very surprising a real engineer would even consider it!! Anyone with a sophisticated LAN with multiple subnets cannot stream direct because they took the option out!! So is the traffic wasting bandwidth Up and Down?? Probably. People with metered connections are rightfully angry. Did Plex make a deal with carriers to cost users more money??

Removing options, shoving crap software down users throats, and completely ignoring feedback are not ways to be successful.

The Fire TV UI is a friggin' bad joke. A third of the screen covered in a useless mostly-empty menu while the actual content is pushed to the right in mind numbing narrow horizontal scrollers is just STUPID. I have 16 libraries so you have to horizontal scroll through them all to get to what you want to watch!! You don't put little-used items on a main menu and the items people used every day off on a scroller. It's a** backwards. It's obvious to me that some young fool with no real world experience who spends most of their time staring at their cell phone wrote that garbage. Whoever came-up with that crap is flat WRONG about UI design. It is unacceptable, period.

Anyone checked out Emby? B)

• daytondayton Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This update looks awful. I like the previous version. Is anybody listening?

edited September 15

There are so many people wondering where the devs came up with this new UI layout. I think I figured it out. I just happen to go visit Emby's website. Take a look at their layout. Look familiar? Sheesh.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,379Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@S-ray said:
    Anyone checked out Emby? B)

While Emby may "look" a bit like Plex it is actually quite different in that it actually works correctly and mostly as expected.

It is quite a bit better on all Android type devices I have tested it on and every bit as good on the other devices. The only place where Plex seems to have a slight advantage is on the Roku and that advantage is truly slight and, with the apparent disappearance of the Roku Plex developer, it could well be that Emby will catch up on the Roku as it is undergoing continuing development.

But everyone has to make their own decisions about which media system they want to use and which is best for them.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

@Elijah_Baley said:
    While Emby may "look" a bit like Plex

First off, I think it is more like 'While Plex may "look" a bit like Emby' :-D

Second, I was just pointing out how "similar" the new layout is to Emby. I know it is not exact but you have to admit they are quite similar in appearance now.

And thanks for pointing out the differences between the two. I have loaded the Emby server and messed around with it in the past but as most humans are, I am not accustomed to drastic changes so it was very foreign to me since I have been a Plexer for many many years. Although there are times recently that I have thought about checking it out more because Plex likes to pull this kind of crap on its paying customers and then not help with issues.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,807Members ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15

... as I mentioned in response to your other post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1517374/#Comment_1517374

Nutshell:
    Emby's Poster-Icons contain text - so you'll know whatthe**** you're looking at if not visible on the Poster-Image.

The 'deep thought/fart cutting process' Plex employs in app development resulted in a fair amount of liquids/solids in that fart they cut, but what we're wiffing right now is definitely Plex ****. If there's a corner or short-cut Plex can employ in app development - they're already on it.

Apparently a different bunch developed PMS - that world class media server we don't want to leave. The bunch working on Apps (AFTV/Android/Shield, at least) have exactly ZERO interest in what they're doing, take no pride in their work, clearly just want to kick something out the door as fast as possible and put as little effort into the process as they can.

I don't know who's in charge over there, but if it were me, I'd go through that place like an Amish Farmer through a field of wheat and start taking applications on Monday Morning. Unfortunately, the one in charge takes about as much pride in the work being done as the workers do - and that's just sad.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JuiceWSA said:
    ... as I mentioned in response to your other post:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1517374/#Comment_1517374

Nutshell:
    Emby's Poster-Icons contain text - so you'll know whatthe**** you're looking at if not visible on the Poster-Image.

The 'deep thought/fart cutting process' Plex employs in app development resulted in a fair amount of liquids/solids in that fart they cut, but what we're wiffing right now is definitely Plex ****. If there's a corner or short-cut Plex can employ in app development - they're already on it.

Apparently a different bunch developed PMS - that world class media server we don't want to leave. The bunch working on Apps (AFTV/Android/Shield, at least) have exactly ZERO interest in what they're doing, take no pride in their work, clearly just want to kick something out the door as fast as possible and put as little effort into the process as they can.

I don't know who's in charge over there, but if it were me, I'd go through that place like an Amish Farmer through a field of wheat and start taking applications on Monday Morning. Unfortunately, the one in charge takes about as much pride in the work being done as the workers do - and that's just sad.

The Android TV app was unusable in 2015. 15fps playback for 24fps.

At least the playback now works.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,807Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@danjames92 said:
    At least the playback now works.

Well... over here it'll work for a limited time before it locks up, so part of that statement is correct.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• jcthornejcthorne Posts: 181Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 17

The latest version will not play anything from either my home network PMS or Plex cloud. The previous version worked just fine. PC can play from either server just fine. The new Fire version is utterly useless.

Even accessing the settings menu crashes the app. They do not even bother to test basic functionality before pushing this trash out to all users? How can they make decisions like this.