If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Joined another Home and lost custom users from previous home

PaiNFuLSeDaTiVePaiNFuLSeDaTiVe Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I joined my friends home to check out the config on their library. When I left their home, I was half-expecting my previous home user environment to still exist. Of course, it is now gone. All I have is my own account listed. I have my friends configured still, but my kids accounts/etc are gone. Sans restoring from a non-existent backup, is there any way for me to get the previous config back that I had before I made this grave mistake? --Thanks in advance guys!

Best Answer

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,107Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

You are getting a warning message about this when you are joining some else's home.

If this doesn't help: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202485658-Restore-a-Database-Backed-Up-via-Scheduled-Tasks-
    there is no way to get your managed users back, I'm afraid.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • PaiNFuLSeDaTiVePaiNFuLSeDaTiVe Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sadly, I don't remember seeing a message, but admittedly if I did get one I probably just skipped past it and assumed it was just telling me that I was about to join someone's home. Thanks for the post Otto - I'll check that link out.

edited September 7

Well, I restored to the backup that was yesterday morning as I had made the change in the evening and I still do not have my user config back. Is there another backup I could try to restore that might bring this user config back to the way it was? I looked around in the folder structure of the application and could not find anything that leads me to believe this data is stored separately (if locally at all.)

Then I'm afraid you have to rebuild your home. Sorry about that!

Thanks again for your response Otto... do you know whether or not the Home User config is stored locally (if so, where?) or if it could somehow be stored with my Plex account on Plex's servers?

• raton5000raton5000 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same thing happen to me and I did not received any warning when joining my friend's home :(. We now lost all our history. I tried using auto saved databases but it seems the users are not store there.

When you are already an admin of your own Plex Home, you will get this warning upon attempting to join another Home:

The warning is also contained in the invitation email: