Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to Downgrade to older version of Plex on FireTV

djkprojectsdjkprojects Posts: 38Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 14 in Android TV & Amazon Fire TV

Hello,

Just like many of you I hate the latest 6.4.2 version of Plex on FireTV so I've decided to find a way to downgrade it to 6.4.1.1644. which was the latest version with a nice GUI.

Tested on my 1st and 2nd Gen FireTV 5.7.3-20.

Note: You can leave your stick plugged into the TV

BEFORE STARTING MAKE SURE YOUR PC/MAC IS CONNECTED TO THE SAME WIFI YOUR FIRETV STICK IS

On FireTV stick go to:

1. Settings -> Applications -> Manage Installed Applications -> Plex -> Uninstall (I've also cleared cache and data but it will work without as well)

2. Settings -> Developers Options -> ADB debugging (set to ON), Apps from Unknown Sources (set to ON)

3. Settings -> About -> Network -> make a note of the IP Address of your stick, you will need it

4. Settings -> Applications -> Appstore -> Automatic Updates (set to OFF)

Now, if you are on Mac (which I am) you can download the zip I've attached and:

cd /Mac (directory with the files downloaded)
./adb kill-server
./adb start-server
./adb connect [IP from step 3]
./adb install com.plexapp.apk
./adb disconnect [IP from step 3]

and skip steps 5 and 6

OR

1. Download the 6.4.1.1644 version of Plex app from: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/plex-inc/plex/plex-6-4-1-1644-release/ on your PC or Mac

2. Download PC or Mac version of ABD (Android Debugging Bridge) from https://cordcutting.com/how-to-sideload-fire-tv-apps/ and follow the steps to install the app downloaded in step 4.

Note: The app will take a minute or two to install and it will show on the FireTV instantly without a need to restart it.

1. Disable options enabled in step 2.

It definitely works as I've just done it on my 2nd Gen FireTV and pleased to see the old GUI !!!

Hope it helps :)

Mac.zip 26.9M

Comments

• CodyBeastCodyBeast Posts: 1Members

Thank you very much for the quick, direct guide! The 6.4.2 update is awful.

• DJDeevanDJDeevan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Since they refuse to sticky the post... Bump?

• squarefrogsquarefrog Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you so much! The new update made my fire stick unusable

• SchenemeneSchenemene Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Worked with my Amazon FireTV 4K (2nd Gen.)
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!
    The new Version is awful. I'm so happy to get back to the older version.

• gonzalesblancogonzalesblanco Posts: 1Members

Thank you so much! ...

Now I can use Plex again on my Fire TV Stick. The last update made the streaming stutter every 5 to 10 seconds ...

• FireTVGUIDisasterFireTVGUIDisaster Posts: 1Members

... offering another (potentially simpler) solution... this doesn't require a PC/MAC or external terminal connections at all.

Follow steps 1,2,4 as instructed by djkprojects initial post.
    On FireTV (Stick) Install FireDL app from Amazon App Store. Launch it.
    In URL box enter either of these following numbers depending on your version of FireTV :
    000871 - this is v6.4.1.1644 for FireTV Stick (32-bit)
    271691 - this is v6.4.1.1644 for FireTV (64-bit)
    This number will change into the full URL for the relevant files. Click Next
    It will download (approx. 30MB). It will install Plex automatically after download.
    Once complete, select Done, then select option to delete downloaded APK
    Launch Plex....

• pent1972icopent1972ico Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Awesome, thanks! The new version is a big step backward. Just visually it is very unimpressive!

• DJDeevanDJDeevan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

xposted to reddit

• mwplex2300mwplex2300 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

thank you, djkprojects! my Plex experience no longer looks like an iPad was hit with an embiggening ray and stuck on my wall.

I'm using a Mac with El Capitan so I went with adbLink instead of Google ADB app. You can find it at http://jocala.com/

• HinesFamily09HinesFamily09 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Will this work for the Amazon Fire TV? Not the stick. Also, I read elsewhere that by downgrading you set yourself up for any potential bugs that will never be fixed, since youre essentially refusing to allow the app to update?

• squarefrogsquarefrog Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd imagine they both come from the same software.

Yes any bugs present in the old version will still be there, and you have to turn off software updates, so your other apps wont get updated too. You have to make the decision whether you're happy with that situation. For me I don't really care about the UI update, the big thing for me was the screen stuttering and crashes. I need Plex to 'just work' so I had to downgrade until they release a new fix, then I'll probably update and get used to it.

• supadavesupadave Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Thank you so much!

I have years of home movies archived that took a giant **** after this latest update. I really hope they take a serious look into their latest update. It is not good.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 849Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@supadave said:
    Thank you so much!

I have years of home movies archived that took a giant **** after this latest update. I really hope they take a serious look into their latest update. It is not good.

Ummm the update would do nothing to your home movies besides, maybe the metadata afaik.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,044Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@SiscoPlex said:
    Ummm the update would do nothing to your home movies besides, maybe the metadata afaik.

Apparently this update turd Plex squeezed out and pinched off is working for you.
    When I try to watch something I have to make sure I Force Stop, Clear Cache BEFORE each session and even then it's likely about halfway though Family Guy it locks up and I have to do it again.

This thing is half working for half the user base and you happen to be in the half it's working for.

Plex is famous for dropping these fecal bombs then disappearing and that's exactly what's happened.

For everyone that's pleased with the performance and reliability - Plex is grateful for spreading the good word. You are a Plex Preferred Customer!
    For everyone else - too bad, get over it, nothing's wrong, must be something you're doing, we don't have time.

This is typical Plex - no doubt about it.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• dping28dping28 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i went and rated the app 1 star on the firetv more info for the app only to realize they have ratings disabled so no one publicly sees them. Nice.. And I have yet to see a response from another plex employee. It would have been nice to see them active at least with the bugs even if ignoring the cosmetic dislikes. Even a comment listing the bugs they are aware of and working on would be nice. just SOMETHING so we know our concerns are being addressed. Instead just silence. Every job I have ever worked at ignoring your customer if your role was to interact with them would get you fired.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,340Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dping28 said:
    ... Even a comment listing the bugs they are aware of and working on would be nice. just SOMETHING so we know our concerns are being addressed. Instead just silence. Every job I have ever worked at ignoring your customer if your role was to interact with them would get you fired.

That "seems" reasonable. But "reasonable" is something that appears to be beyond Plex's ability. The lack of responsiveness in a number of threads where just a little reassurance would serve to greatly reduce the anxiety of many users is one of the major factors that has driven me to almost completely move to Emby. (It will become a complete move after the two run side by side for another few weeks.)

I do not know what has driven the silence but even many/most Plex employees that were active in the past have become almost totally silent. It is like the ones with power have issued a gag order to everyone else and the ones with power don't talk either.

There are many rumors about the cause of the silence but I do not really know so I will not speculate further.

The silence started well before the fiasco of the latest Fire app and simply increased after it.

The only "official" response from Plex seems like they were saying that there users are dumb to think the app is bad and if they cannot effectively use it the must be using it wrong and, since it conforms to Google's dictates it must be both right and user friendly. It is impossible for Google+Plex to be wrong at all.

I do not understand Plex's lack of communication. It is like a manic depressive going off their meds and suddenly becoming self-destructive. Not communicating with your user base is just another symptom of the deepening self-destructive spiral that Plex entered some time ago.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• brando466brando466 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Instructions are great! A few tips....
    -- Fire TVs use the x86 APK file type. You'll get an ABIS error if you try the ARM or ARM64 APK files.
    -- Your link to the ADB tool: install the package per the instructions on the site, then execute the file from within the Windows Command Prompt. Also, it's nice to put your Plex APK file in the same folder and rename it to "com.plexapp.apk". Therefore your MAC instructions are similar in the Windows Command Prompt:
    adb kill-server
    adb start-server
    adb connect [IP of Fire TV]
    adb install com.plexapp.apk
    adb disconnect [IP of Fire TV]

Thanks again! :)

• brando466brando466 Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@HinesFamily09 said:
    Will this work for the Amazon Fire TV? Not the stick. Also, I read elsewhere that by downgrading you set yourself up for any potential bugs that will never be fixed, since youre essentially refusing to allow the app to update?

Yes. Same OS... Android. And yes, you set yourself up for potential unfixed bugs. But your alternative is using the current "buggy" version of the Plex app for Fire TV. So pick your battle here.

• supadavesupadave Posts: 5Members ✭✭
    edited September 14

My home movie issue was an audio/video sync issue and I was venting a bit out of frustration. I did fix my issue by pulling the power from my fire tv box and rebooting it. Clearing cache and such never worked but pulling the plug did.

I still downgraded the UI though. No direct server connect along with other options made it the right choice for me at this time.

Overall the new UI feels like a step back and not forwards. Immediately it felt watered down and cheap. Maybe they will tweek it and give us our options back and correct the child like design. If that happens I may give it another shot. As of now it's a pretty big turd for sure.