If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to Downgrade to older version of Plex on FireTV

2»

Comments

• MiseryOneMiseryOne Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I will also downgrade back to the old interface. I don't like the new one, like many people. The old one was similar on my phone, pc, web and fireTV and fast to navigate.

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 16

I hazard a guess that Plex will either double down and ignore the controversy or do a complete uturn. Time will tell.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• PennAdminPennAdmin Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 16

I keep getting flashbacks to when Plex dumped PHT for PMP... (remember that we went to PMP so that all clients had the same ui.. so what now?)
    Looks like years later the Plex team is doing what they're best at.. getting 90% to a workable product, then stopping and replacing it with something that is only 50% working. Spend the next two years getting that up to 90%.. then rebuild.. god I wish I hadn't paid for a lifetime membership. Time to try out emby again.

• mwplex2300mwplex2300 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 8

rats I hadn't really tested the downgrade. Videos won't actually play (they start and freeze at opening frame) or start to play but not really, and insanely loud digital noise results. what a bummer.

Tried restart of fireTV box. Anyone have any ideas? So can't stand the 'upgraded' app

edit: after reinstall same behavior: initial attempt to play a file and app crashes. re-enter and it wants to send a crash report. Try to play file again, and stuttering/digital noise. I'll try 6.4.0.1558 and see what happens

edit 2: so apparently 6.4.0.1558 is an oversized icon/UI version? So they went back to the smaller (normal) layout in 6.4.1 ? then changed again to absurdly sized layout in 6.4.2 ? bizarro. ok then, trying 6.3.2.1332 .

edit 3: 6.3.2.1332 same problem as 6.4.1.1644. bummer! seems to play files that don't have a 5.1 audio track. (e.g. a movie with mono channel FLAC plays fine, one with DTS Stereo plays ok)

edit4 Oct 7: Been out of the loop a few weeks, but it didn't take me long to realize that not only was I suffering the horrible UI update, I was suffering the he-said/she-said fight of Plex vs Amazon re: decoding 5.1 audio. Hence why my videos won't play properly no matter what version of Plex I use. even 5.10.x..odd. So... I installed Kodi and then Plex Add-on. Now we're cooking with gas.

• mwplex2300mwplex2300 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@PennAdmin said:
    ... god I wish I hadn't paid for a lifetime membership.

I know those feels :|

• andreyvsandreyvs Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't understand why updates bring bugs instead of bug fixes. No random play, interface is so horrible! It does look like plex team wants to please apple fans, with making everything apple like... I wish they worked of bug fixes instead, and really listen to people how paid for the service. Now I'm thinking of switching back to XBMC... very sad...

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,434Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@andreyvs said:
    I don't understand why updates bring bugs instead of bug fixes. No random play, interface is so horrible! It does look like plex team wants to please apple fans, with making everything apple like... I wish they worked of bug fixes instead, and really listen to people how paid for the service. Now I'm thinking of switching back to XBMC... very sad...

“If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” - Edsger W. Dijkstra

And Plex only programs lately. They leave the debugging to their customers.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• djkprojectsdjkprojects Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@andreyvs said:

Welcome to Plex World :wink:

• mkoolsmkools Posts: 103Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The new UI is terrible, I can't get used to the terrible navigation. I wonder who made this up.

I want to downgrade as well, problem is that you probably have to upgrade eventually. Maybe we can start a petition though.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,962Members ✭✭✭✭✭

@mkools said:
    The new UI is terrible, I can't get used to the terrible navigation. I wonder who made this up.

I want to downgrade as well, problem is that you probably have to upgrade eventually. Maybe we can start a petition though.

We have - it's this forum.
    Unfortunately Plex isn't reading it - or cares all that much if they are.

lol

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• vasco_nlvasco_nl Posts: 139Members ✭✭

To keep this post up for others another bump.

We just have left Plex and went with Emby because after two years Plex has proven not to listen to there customers who have payed for there apps. Emby is very beautiful and has everything Plex was in the past and much more already.

So when you're done with Plex like us, go for Emby.

2»