Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Unofficial List of Lost Functionality For Fire TV Users With New UI

AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know lots of users here are posting that they do not like the UI. That is a discussion for another thread (which there are plenty of). What I would like to do here is get a consolidated list of functionality that has been lost. The "play" button is a great example; its been something that has been in the development pipeline for Android TV for some time now but there was not enough demand for it. Maybe there is now! The other nice thing about this is some of these lost tools could benefit existing Android TV users.

So lets get a list going:

• Play button - many remotes (like the fire TV) have a play button on them. Pressing play should allow the user to instantly start watching a Plex content entry rather than first selecting the entry and then playing it from a detail page
  • Home button - or at least a faster way to return to the "home screen" of Plex - perhaps long pressing the back button as described by @zpaolo11x posted here
  • Faster way to switch servers?

Post more examples like these ones as you think of them so we can consolidate them for the devs.

Answers

• DJDeevanDJDeevan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is no way to manually enter a server IP any longer. I don't use this function, but it appears to be a huge issue for many.
    Audio options are missing. (No manual DTS toggle, etc.).
    Option to force transcoding is missing.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks, I'll add those to the list in a bit here.

• rockney8588rockney8588 Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The ability to enter an IP manually for direct connection is a fundamental requirement. With metered Internet connections (which should be illegal !!) it makes a huge difference in bandwidth and cost. I've stopped using Plex on the Fire TV because of this.

This is a high priority bug.

• TruePCsTruePCs Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With the missing audio options some movies now will play fine but with only background audio, no vocals. Also playback is jittery, this is a app issue as PC, Android and Roku all work fine at same location.

• kenm1chaudkenm1chaud Posts: 39Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Search doesn't display results as you type, as it did before

Attempting to display list of episodes instead of shows appears to crash the app

• hleerobinsonhleerobinson Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I really liked the "play all" option which would play all in the folder. This has disappeared. I haven't found how to tell what is On Deck yet. The "menu" button on the remote is now useless. Are all of the videos shown when I press "down" four times going to play if I let them?

• hleerobinsonhleerobinson Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In the settings"Play Up Next" is on but it stopped after the first episode of the season. I see no Up Next anywhere. How do I know what is Up Next? Does it only apply to play lists. Do I have to put each episode in a queue? What happened to "Play All"?

• teshiburuteshiburu Posts: 366Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@hleerobinson - on deck is just below all of the libraries.....

3.63 Years of non repeating media

• duhorgduhorg Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Fire Stick gen1, at least: playback doesn't work properly. Every 5-8 seconds the video has a stutter (stops and restarts), as if the frame rate does not match the audio rate. I can't even comment on the rest of the UX until this is fixed, because it makes video unwatchable, so I was forced to roll back.

• smille-onlinesmille-online Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No fanart in the music section

• TripledropTripledrop Posts: 168Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 10

I just don't get it.. I appreciate a new ui, whether you like or not is subjective (I do not like BTW, it's terrible.. Who comes up with this?!), but to lose functionality is just poor developing.

The play button is the most annoying.. It's a fundimental rule in IT that you want less clicks to do what you want, however I now have extra clicks to get clips playing! And to get back to the home screen is longer too! Not good plex.

I don't expect plex to actually listen to feedback though, that's just not what they do normally. Maybe they'll surprise me this time

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This is not exactly "lost functionality" but more an option to have a similar behavior: a way (slider, selection, whatever) to have "smaller" items on screen. Like a zoom level selector so that, as in the old UI, you can have more "stuff" on screen and smaller items (this seems a very frequent complaint from previous FireTV UI)

• fr0st42fr0st42 Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I actually like the Android TV interface. I preferred it over the Fire TV interface. In the long run this will make developing easier for the Plex tream.

• thr0ttthr0tt Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Half the names of files is missing so you only get like Harry Potter and .... who knows until you open and look (yes could read poster but series a different ball game).

Force direct play or not.
    Ac3/eac3 support on/off toggle.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@thr0tt said:
    Half the names of files is missing so you only get like Harry Potter and .... who knows until you open and look (yes could read poster but series a different ball game).

This was solved in PMP 1.x by showing the selected movie full title and year in the bottom left of the interface. That was considered "wasted space" by many, but was in fact kept empty to accomodate every title length. Sadly enough, in PMP 2.x this feature is missing :(

• yusef.d@gmail.comyusef.d@gmail.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I installed Kodi and then installed the Plex add-on so that I could have a Plex player where I could add manual IP address on my Android TV. I noticed that when I add Plex Media Server as a upnp server on Kodi I am getting a better and smoother picture then with Plex directly. I paid for a lifetime membership when Plex first started Plex Prime several years ago. I am for the first time starting to look at other options.

• jcthornejcthorne Posts: 153Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Might as well add that the new version for Amazon Fire simply will not play videos from either my Cloud server or home PMS. Prior version works fine. Cannot check or change settings on the new version because the settings pane crashes and the app closes. This update has lost ALL functionality for me.

• bluehelixbluehelix Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Starting on the season thumbnail ,pressing shuffle or adding a season to queue or playlist no longer plays continuous it stops about 4 episodes into the season really liked the shuffle feature at night used it for background noise .

• gyannelisgyannelis Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't know if i have an isolated issue (though since i have 3 fire tvs all doing the same thing, i doubt it) but my folder art isn't working with the new version. I have my files stored in i.e "Action\Superman\Superman.mkv" at the root level of the Action folder i had an Action folder.jpg file which plex is not reading and shows no art, as well as when inside the Action folder the Superman folder art isn't showing either. once i go into the superman folder it shows up only.... In other words when in my Action folder all the folders show no art until i go into a folder for a specific movie....
    Changing my folder structure would be a huge pain, i reverted back to the previous version of plex where everything is in its happy place again.

Maybe the solution would be to modify the app to give a legacy mode to allow the users to chose which way it is setup....I'm sorry but I don't like the new setup at all...needs a lot of work, forget the lost features, it just looks bad

• noahfecksnoahfecks Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Audio passthrough doesn't work. Multi-channel audio comes through to receiver as 2-channel regardless of audio settings in Plex. This is a HUGE deal breaker! Previous versions had no problem with multi-channel audio.