Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Still on the fence about switching systems but something has changed.

Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,324Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have, as many know, become increasingly frustrated by the direction Plex has taken in the last year or two and even more lately. Their extreme arrogance and their near total lack of concern for the wishes of their user base has only served to reinforce that feeling.

Because of that, and some other problems, I have been investigating alternatives namely Emby as it is the only system that seems even close.

I had problems with Emby freezing and having to restart the server but I decided to look deeper over the last few days and discovered that one of the support files had been corrupted so I fixed that and Emby has been running quite nicely ever since.

Once I had it stable I discovered that thinks like editing the sort title, to group movies as I do not really like using "collections," is much much easier and quicker in Emby. Most other "normal" operations are also easier although usually different.

Emby seems, I repeat seems, to put less of a load on the server but I cannot be totally sure as my testing has not been long enough, yet.

I will not burden everyone with a lot of detail BUT, after my short test I "think" that, for me, Emby may well be a viable alternative to Plex.

I have tested the Roku app and the Fire app and the Windows app. The Fire and Windows are better than the current offerings for Plex and the Roku app is pretty good as well. For me and my needs Emby does everything Plex does about as well and it does some things that Plex does not do at all, can you say "AudioBook support!!"

For those angry or unhappy with Plex Emby looks to be a viable alternative.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

Comments

• - NaDs- NaDs Posts: 533Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Oh wow, another post by you saying you are leaving...

I have lost count how many i have seen!

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,324Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As a followup i have tested the Fire app in some detail. It looks a bit like a normal Plex Android app BUT it functions as a Plex app should including the "play" key actually stating playback as it should.

I find Emby's implementation on the Fire to be a great deal better and more functional than Plex's current offering.

It seems stable and is something I can actually use if I finally make the decission to completly switch to Emby. The decision is not made, yet, but I have run into no showstoppers and no real important glitches.

One other thing: I have not tested on the Shield, yet, BUT there appears to even be an Emby server, as there is for Plex, that runs on the Shield.

Emby keeps looking better and better. They do not seem, at least not yet, to be overloading their system with too much fluff.

As a disclaimer: I am the only user for my system and I do not share my libraries with anyone so my use case may not fit other people.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)

• HeciruamHeciruam Posts: 149Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As someone that has almost completely switched, I would say Emby is server heavy.
    Yes it doesn't have all those cloud-based features PLEX has introduced lately, but more functionality on the serverside.

@Heciruam said:
    As someone that has almost completely switched, I would say Emby is server heavy.
    Yes it doesn't have all those cloud-based features PLEX has introduced lately, but more functionality on the serverside.

Yes. I agree. I also just started testing on my Shield and my first impression is great.

The "play" button works as expected!!! That is a huge difference and a difference that is making it more likely that I will move completely to Emby.

Plex has said that they "cannot" or "will not" implement "play" on the Shield but it seems that Emby has proved that it is quite possible. Maybe Emby has better programmers or maybe they just listen better to their users. Either way Emby is looking better and better all the time.

BTW: For me the "cloud-based" features of Plex are totally unneeded for me. They are just more useless fluff. The fact is that in the core functionality, which is what is important to me. Emby seems better than Plex but I am still testing.

• kelemvor33kelemvor33 Posts: 134Members ✭✭

Can I run Emby and Plex on the same "server" and point them both to the side video folders or would that mess anything up?

@kelemvor33 said:
    Can I run Emby and Plex on the same "server" and point them both to the side video folders or would that mess anything up?

That depends. If your server has enough power and space then I believe you can. I have not tested that as my Plex is running on my Shield TV and my Emby is running on a PC but I see no reason you should have any problems from both coexisting on one device as long as the specs are good enough.

As far as access the same library files goes; that should be no problem. My Plex and my Emby servers are accessing the same files and they both seem reasonably happy about it.

By default Emby and Plex do not alter the files or store anything in the library directories. Emby can be configured to override some of that but as long as you do not do that both Emby and Plex should purr right along.

My server shouldn't have a problem. It's a Windows box with an i7 and 8 gigs of RAM. All my videos are stored on a different computer. I guess I'll give it a try and see what I get. Shouldn't hurt anything.

Also found this for anyone wanting more info:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6d73re/plex_vs_emby_2017/

Thanks.

• flamebirdflamebird Posts: 98Members ✭✭✭

I've been playing with it, just cause I like trying different programs to see what they can do.
    I really like the app on the Roku, but not wild about the lack of server settings. Like everything else right now, it seems to be getting problems with the 7.7 FW upgrade on Roku. Right now, there's no way I'd switch, but I definitely like it enough to keep playing with it.

@flamebird said:
    I've been playing with it, just cause I like trying different programs to see what they can do.
    I really like the app on the Roku, but not wild about the lack of server settings. Like everything else right now, it seems to be getting problems with the 7.7 FW upgrade on Roku. Right now, there's no way I'd switch, but I definitely like it enough to keep playing with it.

I have had no problems with the Roku app but Roku, after a couple of requests, rolled me back to the pre-screwup version.

As far as server settings go I don't monkey with them much so I have not really noticed the ones that are missing.

The main thing I have found is that on every device I have (Roku, Fire and Shield) the Emby apps work correctly and do not seem to really be lacking anything much.

I am about 75% sure I will be moving totally to Emby within the next few weeks. Of course Plex will not be losing anything as I already have a lifetime Plex pass but I am not making the move, if I make it, to punish Plex but rather I am making the move for my piece of mind. I hope Emby will be a calming influence in my life.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 5,977Members ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep messing with it a little, but so far I'm not impressed enough to even consider a change - as it stands right now.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

@JuiceWSA said:
    I keep messing with it a little, but so far I'm not impressed enough to even consider a change - as it stands right now.

It is different but it does everything I need and it even has good collection support, which I just discovered.

I will not say it is "better" than Plex, because it is not. It is just different and in the ways that matter completely functional for me.

Oh, I know it matters to you, the Fire TV app is fully functional and seems very stable.

edited September 9

@Elijah_Baley said:
    Oh, I know it matters to you, the Fire TV app is fully functional and seems very stable.

Yep - the current FireTV/Plex App Meltdown may trigger a more involved investigation very soon.

Tony

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• flamebirdflamebird Posts: 98Members ✭✭✭

@JuiceWSA said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

Yep - the current FireTV/Plex App Meltdown may trigger a more involved investigation very soon.

Yeah, I don't even use my Fire TV anymore cause Plex is so bad on it. Which is weird, cause I like the app on the Kindle Fire, better than almost any version I've used. :|

The new app is pretty bad visually - it looks like it was designed by children.
    I have to admit it is locking up and crashing less often.

Tony

One more great thing about Emby that I discovered...

The is no stupid "Post Play" screen t get in the way when you are playing movies Emby returns you to the location you were when you started playback.

In the same vein Emby will only make "suggestions" if asked. There is no real attempt to push media at you just because you played something else.

I actually find that I am now wishing I had put up with Emby's perceived weaknesses a year or even two ago. I believe my irritation level would have been much lower.

Emby does not seem to want to run your media for you. They seem to just, mostly, present it to be enjoyed with very little interference.

Still Emby is not perfect for me but the really seem closer than Plex and they mostly seem to be moving in the correct direction for me. There are little glitches and sometimes figuring out how to do something is less than obvious. But the response in their forums is quick and helpful. It seems for me that Emby is the answer, at least until it is not. ;)

Over the last two weeks my usage of Emby has increased to the point where I have not even touched Plex in the last three days.

This will be the last post I make to this thread unless I am asked a question or some such as I think I have said all that I need to say here about Emby vs Plex.

And before anyone asks; NO I do not feel that my Plex Pass was wasted money. I have had a good ride with Plex it is just that it is time for a different horse to continue my journey.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,600Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I used Emby for a month or so to test it but I think I'm going back to Plex, for one pretty silly little reason, Emby Theater and the android app do not have a `next episode' button. I typically watch a playlist of episodes and occasionally want to skip an episode and that's not an option, only the Shield app has it. That said, Emby has come a long way in usability and stability so I'll keep using both side by side and likely pay for a lifetime to support them.
    Some thoughts:

• the live TV guide is much better in Emby, although it requires $26 a year for Schedules Direct. DVR seems more stable too, but live TV watching works smoother on Plex
    • Remote access is better on Plex, i can easily watch Plex on the go on my mobile, with Emby 9 times out of 10 the video doesn't play and the app crashes.
    • Server management can be done from the android app in Emby, very useful
    • I have one remote user, and when he watches stuff on Emby, it starts transcoding and the fan in my server spins up. That doesn't happen when he uses Plex
    • No last.fm plugin in Emby, although Trakt is built in.
    • notifications work ok, although it sends notifications for EVERY music track I add in Emby. PlexPy definitely has the upper hand here.
    • No need for an Emby account for remote access, a URL (that can be protected with a certificate) is enough. I've not looked into this for Plex as I don't mind using a Plex account for remote access.
    • I've had to restart the Emby server a number of times as it seems to keep hold of tuners and to resolve some other funky issues. Plex for me has been way more stable.
    • emby theater on the xbox blows the Plex xbox app away with more force than hurricane Irma.
    • Last but not least, the Emby developers are EXTREMELY responsive on the forums and really seem to listen to feedback.

@WilhelmStroker said:

• Last but not least, the Emby developers are EXTREMELY responsive on the forums and really seem to listen to feedback.

And that alone is reason enough to change for me. Why support a company that doesn't care about their own customers?

@WilhelmStroker said:
    I used Emby for a month or so to test it but I think I'm going back to Plex, for one pretty silly little reason, Emby Theater and the android app do not have a `next episode' button. I typically watch a playlist of episodes and occasionally want to skip an episode and that's not an option, only the Shield app has it.

I am not sure about Emby Theater but I think The Emby Android app does have a rather different way of implementing it but it is there.
    I do not use playlists but it works from episode playing screens.
    When you are on such a screen there is a row of icons one step below the main info. Those icons are a list of the previous show and the next two or three.
    I found out about them when I asked about how to get to the next and previous episodes.

It is absolutely amazing how quick and responsive the Emby developers are. So you are correct that is a HUGE point in Emby's favor.

BTW: If you run into something that is missing or that you cannot make work just post on their boards and often, particularly if it is truly a lack, it will be implemented within a week or so. (For some of the addons it can be hours) If it is already there but implemented differently than you expect one of the developers will quickly tell you what you need to do to accomplish what you want.

It is amazing how responsive they are compared to Plex.