If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Pass for Roku? - details needed

pghkatrinapghkatrina Posts: 12Members ✭✭

I'm seeing conflicting details about whether or not Plex Pass with live stream is available for Roku. Some of the chat here in forums seems to indicate that it's not but the page here in FAQ says you can purchase a Plex Pass subscription via a Roku... so which is it?

If it is available... Am I correct in understanding that Live TV will stream cable channels beyond local basic? Do we need both the tuner and antenna as well with a Roku? I'm a newbie just beginning to explore cutting the cord and am very interested in Plex Pass if this is indeed available. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks

Answers

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,288Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 9

@pghkatrina said:
    I'm seeing conflicting details about whether or not Plex Pass with live stream is available for Roku.

No it isn't

Some of the chat here in forums seems to indicate that it's not but the page here in FAQ says you can purchase a Plex Pass subscription via a Roku... so which is it?

Yes, you can buy a plexpass via a Roku, but PlexPass and Live TV are not the same thing.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288566-What-is-Plex-Pass-

You need a Plex Pass, a plex server, a tuner, an antenna, access to non-encrypted free channels and a plex client that supports Live TV to make it all work.

• pghkatrinapghkatrina Posts: 12Members ✭✭

@trudge said:

@pghkatrina said:
    I'm seeing conflicting details about whether or not Plex Pass with live stream is available for Roku.

No it isn't

Some of the chat here in forums seems to indicate that it's not but the page here in FAQ says you can purchase a Plex Pass subscription via a Roku... so which is it?

Yes, you can buy a plexpass via a Roku, but PlexPass and Live TV are not the same thing.

Then why does the page for Plex Pass show it as a feature? https://www.plex.tv/features/plex-pass/ And what's the point of a Plex Pass on Roku if you can't stream Live TV? Just the DVR?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288566-What-is-Plex-Pass-

You need a Plex Pass, a plex server, a tuner, an antenna, access to non-encrypted free channels and a plex client that supports Live TV to make it all work.

I know that there is a free version and a paid version but I said I was new at this. Does non-encrypted free channels mean I need to still pay for cable?

@pghkatrina said:

Then why does the page for Plex Pass show it as a feature?

PlexPass is a subscription to a number of Plex features, LiveTV is just one of those features. It's also a new feature so not yet available across the complete range of clients. Plexpass was around long before Live TV and many Plexpass features are available for the Roku client. LiveTV is a feature already enabled on Plex clients other than Roku.

I know that there is a free version and a paid version but I said I was new at this. Does non-encrypted free channels mean I need to still pay for cable?

Free versions and paid versions of Plex have nothing to do with that free TV you can access where ever it is you are. I suggest you do some research on this before deciding to cut any cords - it's not Plex research, its research on your possible over the air providers and whoever owns the piece of cable coming out of your wall.

@trudge said:

Free versions and paid versions of Plex have nothing to do with that free TV you can access where ever it is you are. I suggest you do some research on this before deciding to cut any cords - it's not Plex research, its research on your possible over the air providers and whoever owns the piece of cable coming out of your wall.

I know who my cable provider is thanks. I also know they're raking me over the coals on my budget for the fact I've lost all service twice in the past month. I asked the question here to find out what channels are actually available with the Live TV. I've spent the entire night looking at Sling, Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, DirecTV NOW... and Plex has the best price and features from what I've surmised. I know that local basic channels are free OTA. But this site shows other cable channels. I just want to get further details.

edited September 9

@pghkatrina said:

@trudge said:

I know who my cable provider is thanks. I also know they're raking me over the coals on my budget for the fact I've lost all service twice in the past month. I asked the question here to find out what channels are actually available with the Live TV. I've spent the entire night looking at Sling, Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, DirecTV NOW... and Plex has the best price and features from what I've surmised. I know that local basic channels are free OTA. But this site shows other cable channels. I just want to get further details.

Plex provides no channels, zip, none. it distributes the channels that you can already access for free in your location using the DVR tuner and antenna that you already own. For some people in some locations that will be lots of channels, for others, very few.

Plex is all about distributing content you already have access to, not about sourcing new content as per the other solutions you have listed.

• theuser86theuser86 Posts: 575Members ✭✭✭
    edited September 9

Live TV with Plex is just a feature to watch the free OTA channels in your area. That's it.

You get an OTA antenna, plug said antenna into a tuner such as the HDHomeRun, then plug said tuner into a computer running Plex Media Server, and finally you connect said computer to you router.

The Plex app or channel on your device (such as an iPad) accesses the Plex Media Server and you can watch Live TV. You are not streaming any of these channels over the internet, it is done all locally in your house.

Plex Live TV is only OTA channels. And yes the Live TV feature requires you have a Plex Pass.

• bjs59bjs59 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 9

It should be noted that HDHomeRun does sell a couple cable card compatible boxes as well.... However the only benefit I see really is the $5 or so the cable company will credit your bill a month for not renting/using their equipment, that's if your cable company allows the unit's use... Either way, you will have to pay to view premium channels... YMWV!!!

@theuser86 said:
    Live TV with Plex is just a feature to watch the free OTA channels in your area. That's it.

You get an OTA antenna, plug said antenna into a tuner such as the HDHomeRun, then plug said tuner into a computer running Plex Media Server, and finally you connect said computer to you router.

The Plex app or channel on your device (such as an iPad) accesses the Plex Media Server and you can watch Live TV. You are not streaming any of these channels over the internet, it is done all locally in your house.

Does the HDHomeRun expand ability for channel reception? Worth the additional cost overall?

So do you have to spend time browsing the internet and download videos to the server? (time consuming) Or are there sources of some kind?

Plex Live TV is only OTA channels. And yes the Live TV feature requires you have a Plex Pass.

Thank you. The first person to clearly state this. I see there are channel plugins based on region? How does this work? Install them like Roku? Gives you access to more channels?

@bjs59 said:
    It should be noted that HDHomeRun does sell a couple cable card compatible boxes as well.... However the only benefit I see really is the $5 or so the cable company will credit your bill a month for not renting/using their equipment, that's if your cable company allows the unit's use... Either way, you will have to pay to view premium channels... YMWV!!!

Definitely not keeping the cable beyond having an internet connection. The fees and taxes are ridiculous. What cable channels have you been able to access with Plex Live?

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 2,728Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@pghkatrina -
    I'll add to the addition of people trying to explain - unsure how we're unclear, but, perhaps I'll say it a different way that helps you understand.

The DVR/Live TV require PlexPass.

Plex DVR/TV for Roku is not yet available. (Reference Wiki FAQ "Which apps let me watch "Live TV"?"
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/226463767-Frequently-Asked-Questions-DVR-Live-TV )

Most importantly and we want to make this clear to you before cancelling your cable subscription:
    Plex DVR/Live TV is not a 'service' like Sling, Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, or DirecTV NOW.
    Plex Live TV only gives you what you can already get with an antenna.
    The closest comparison I can think of regarding Plex DVR + LIve TV is more like a Tivo, not a streaming service.
    Reference Wiki - Plex DVR and Live TV - I'd suggest starting with the FAQ

Does the HDHomeRun expand ability for channel reception? Worth the additional cost overall?

Without a HDHomeRun, or other Plex supported tuner, you can't use Plex DVR/Live TV.
    Reference Wiki - Supported DVR Tuners and Antennas

So do you have to spend time browsing the internet and download videos to the server? (time consuming) Or are there sources of some kind?

For the original reason Plex was created, pretty much, yes, you have to own your own content to share.
    In this respect, Plex makes your own media like a personal Netflix you can watch on any of your devices.
    Most of us 'regulars' convert all our personal video discs to digital files so we can watch wherever/whenever we want, and usually without having to get up off the couch to insert a disc in the player.

Now, that's a lot to take in for now, I'm sure.
    You mentioned 'plug-ins' aka what Plex calls 'Channels' in it's menus. Plex has it's own plugins that offer streaming content from websites. Some of these websites are fed from content distributors that also offer to cable tv, BUT,
    Plex can only offer what those websites do, and I'll tell you now, most websites Plex supports don't offer all the content shows etc that are offered on Hulu/etc.

There is a great community of 'unsupported' Plex channel discussions that offer, uh, other content you may miss with cable TV, but, that's a whole other discussion for weeks/months from now as you grow familiar with Plex.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.9.7.4460
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4 x 4TB RAID5 (QNAP w/HGST drives)
    Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~25mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM

@pghkatrina said:

Thank you. The first person to clearly state this.

except that it is wrong as its not just OTA channels. It's any non-encrypted channel that works with a supported DVR - which can be some FREE cable channels.

@pghkatrina said:

Definitely not keeping the cable beyond having an internet connection. The fees and taxes are ridiculous. What cable channels have you been able to access with Plex Live?

Some cable carriers allow you to keep the cable and a small number of free channels without paying a cent - this is my point about you need to investigate what your cable carrier offers as this is a potential source of your content along with whatever free OTA channels you can receive in your location.

@JamminR said:
    @pghkatrina -
    I'll add to the addition of people trying to explain - unsure how we're unclear, but, perhaps I'll say it a different way that helps you understand.

The DVR/Live TV require PlexPass.

That's what I thought to begin with from viewing the site, but if you read the thread "trudge" had indicated they were separate items. Thus the confusion.

Plex DVR/TV for Roku is not yet available. (Reference Wiki FAQ "Which apps let me watch "Live TV"?"
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/226463767-Frequently-Asked-Questions-DVR-Live-TV )

I understand that, was asking about how people are using Plex with theie Roku. For example, mirroring an iPhone to Roku will work?

Most importantly and we want to make this clear to you before cancelling your cable subscription:
    Plex DVR/Live TV is not a 'service' like Sling, Netflix, Hulu, PS Vue, or DirecTV NOW.
    Plex Live TV only gives you what you can already get with an antenna.
    The closest comparison I can think of regarding Plex DVR + LIve TV is more like a Tivo, not a streaming service.
    Reference Wiki - Plex DVR and Live TV - I'd suggest starting with the FAQ

Without a HDHomeRun, or other Plex supported tuner, you can't use Plex DVR/Live TV.
    Reference Wiki - Supported DVR Tuners and Antennas

I talked with my brother regarding this. He has cut the cord and doesn't pay for cable, so I'm informed about the need for antenna however I had not heard of the need for a tuner like HDHomeRun.

For the original reason Plex was created, pretty much, yes, you have to own your own content to share.
    In this respect, Plex makes your own media like a personal Netflix you can watch on any of your devices.
    Most of us 'regulars' convert all our personal video discs to digital files so we can watch wherever/whenever we want, and usually without having to get up off the couch to insert a disc in the player.

I know there are sites to download from but I'm single and just looking to save $ on budget, thus why I'm asking for details before making a choice. I haven't canceled anything yet, just pretty frustrated with lack luster service from Comcast. Is there a service you would recommend then of the others?

Now, that's a lot to take in for now, I'm sure.
    You mentioned 'plug-ins' aka what Plex calls 'Channels' in it's menus. Plex has it's own plugins that offer streaming content from websites. Some of these websites are fed from content distributors that also offer to cable tv, BUT,
    Plex can only offer what those websites do, and I'll tell you now, most websites Plex supports don't offer all the content shows etc that are offered on Hulu/etc.

This is where part of the confusion lies. Using 'channels' term for plugins makes matters unclear.

There is a great community of 'unsupported' Plex channel discussions that offer, uh, other content you may miss with cable TV, but, that's a whole other discussion for weeks/months from now as you grow familiar with Plex.

As there are sites now one speaks of across the web "ahem" , just want to make the best choice for myself.

@trudge said:

@pghkatrina said:

Some cable carriers allow you to keep the cable and a small number of free channels without paying a cent - this is my point about you need to investigate what your cable carrier offers as this is a potential source of your content along with whatever free OTA channels you can receive in your location.

As I said, I've been doing plenty of research. I've looked at sites like gomohu.com and https://nocable.org/ [which is actually owned by someone close in Pittsburgh]. I know who broadcasts local TV in my area. But am looking to avoid the fees from Comcast for a TV box. Taking the charge for it, the broadcast fees and taxes off of my cable bill is almost 1/4 of the cost.

@trudge said:

@pghkatrina said:

except that it is wrong as its not just OTA channels. It's any non-encrypted channel that works with a supported DVR - which can be some FREE cable channels.

Are those not included when I've been searching the 2 sites I referenced above? Because I'm pretty sure Comcast isn't going to tell me about free cable... so? Still looking for those darn details...

edited September 10

PlexPass is a separate item. It's bonus. One of the bonuses just happens to be the DVR/Live TV capability.

Trudge isn't talking about free no-cost cable.
    Trudge is talking about some cable networks offering non-encrypted stations on the coax, if you pay for the cable tv.
    That being said, Comcast requires a converter for even their cheap lineup. I'm pretty sure they have no 'free from encryption' stations. Unless they had some odd government crackdown or change in the past years since I cancelled TV through them, they don't offer any non-encrypted cable tv channels.
    As someone previously said, there are some HDHomeRun models that allow, for easier explanation, cable tuning.
    But those will require you get a 'card' to insert into the tuner from Comcast. That may require a tech install fee. It will also usually charge you a few dollars a month. But also stated, usually cheaper than renting the full cable box.
    However, Plexpass+CableCard fee may just be same cost as renting a cable box.

Before cancelling cable TV in 2013, my comcast = $155 (Digital HD + HD DVR Box + taxes, Internet was $45 of that)
    I already had Amazon Prime and Netflix (~21 a month)
    So, I was paying $176 a month for video entertainment. (Rounded)
    I cancelled cable TV, internet went up $15 (so, $60 a month)
    Bought a refurb Tivo ($80), got the monthly Tivo subscription - $15
    Tivo/$15 + (Netflix/Amazon)/$21 + internet/$60 = $96
    I'm saving $80 a month and still have to much to choose from. That's not even counting the DVD collection I've amassed and Plex keeps categorized for me.
    If/when Roku gets Plex DVR/Live TV, I'll likely cancel Tivo.
    I miss the 'immediate' viewing of some cable networks I like (USA/A&E/AMC/FX), but more often than not, some appear a year or two later as part of the Amazon prime or Netflix offering.
    When they don't, well, I either live without it, or, use unsupported Plex channels.

Shares - From: 1  - To: 20(6) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    Plex stuff I favor - PlexPy - UASv2 - PlexEmail - SS Plex - FMoviesPlus - G2G.FM

Ok, so now that I look, Trudge WAS talking about free no-cost cable.
    I've never been that lucky, and as Comcast now requires a converter for all channels in my area, I don't see how that could work unless you were lucky enough to have had a converter that hasn't been turned off.

@JamminR said:
    Ok, so now that I look, Trudge WAS talking about free no-cost cable.

Yep, and also it was before the word Comcast was mentioned.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,763Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja
    edited September 11

Just to sum up what others are trying to explain here:

Plex does not just offer access to any Live TV or on-demand shows and movies you want to watch. You cannot have the same experience you had with cable by just installing Plex. See Is Plex like Netflix?. Plex is first and foremost a software program to manage your local digital media.

Access to more extensive libraries of on-demand TV shows and movies and/or live TV feeds almost always require a paid subscriptions. Plex users who have chosen to cut their cable, often choose a paid service or two (like Netflix, SlingTV, PSVue, etc) to fill in the gaps and give them access to live and/or on-demand premium content. And using a set-top box like the Roku, AppleTV, or FireTV, provides a Plex player channel/app, as well as the native channels/apps for many of those paid subscription services.

Plex Pass Membership does not provide on-demand TV shows, movies, or live TV feeds. The Plex Pass DVR and Live TV feature just allows you to incorporate the unencrypted live TV feeds that you already have coming into your home into Plex, if you have a DVR tuner. See Supported DVR Tuners and Antennas.

All Plex users can also install Plex channel plugins. These channel plugins are created by a community of volunteer developers to access the existing online media from a particular website. Some TV network websites provide on-demand access to a few episodes of their most recently aired TV shows, but they almost always require a TV provider to access their live streams or more extensive on-demand libraries.

So, availability of media through Plex channel plugins, depends on what media is freely offered by a website and whether a developer in the volunteer community has chosen to create and maintain a plugin for that website. And if you are unable to access and play media directly from the website using your web browser, then you will not be able to access and play media from a Plex channel plugin for that website.

See the Frequently Asked Questions for Channel Plugins thread for more about Plex channel plugins.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• theuser86theuser86 Posts: 575Members ✭✭✭

@trudge said:

@pghkatrina said:

Well not entirely wrong - there are no such things as free cable channels (aka Clear QAM) in Canada, so in Canada it is only OTA channels.