Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku Ultra: HEVC and DTS

xSeanxSean Posts: 217Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Does transcoding occur if a video is using the x265 codec or with DTS? I typically encode my files into x265 while keeping the audio at DTS or DTS-HD.

I've seen older topics on the subject where there have been some issues, but want to see how things are at this point in time.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• DFuryDFury Posts: 212Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

There has been some issues with DTS and DTS-HD (primarily audio-sync related). The x265 won't be an issue, though. I have taken to setting my Roku Ultras to just DD/DD+. My receivers will do DTS...but having it set to non-DTS will trigger the server to transcode DTS to AAC 5.1, which plays without issue. In this scenario, the HEVC is direct-streamed while the audio is transcoded...which requires very little of the CPU.

Answers

• DFuryDFury Posts: 212Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

There has been some issues with DTS and DTS-HD (primarily audio-sync related). The x265 won't be an issue, though. I have taken to setting my Roku Ultras to just DD/DD+. My receivers will do DTS...but having it set to non-DTS will trigger the server to transcode DTS to AAC 5.1, which plays without issue. In this scenario, the HEVC is direct-streamed while the audio is transcoded...which requires very little of the CPU.

• xSeanxSean Posts: 217Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Great, thanks for the info.