Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Using 2 computers to host 1 server?

ProgeekzyProgeekzy Posts: 39Members ✭✭

I have my main media computer hosting my server. I am running a little low on hard drive space for TV shows. What i would like to do is take an old 775 board thats collecting dust throw a few hard drives i have laying around together and make, basically, a nas. Can i point my main computer to the 775 and host those files on the main server?

Best Answer

Answers

• richarddc79richarddc79 Posts: 186Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That's what I am basically doing at the moment, I have an old core 2 duo which was originally my plex server running Windows 10, with 2 2tb drives in there, and then I have a core i5 laptop running Windows 10 and the latest hardware transcoding plex server preview, with my 2 2tb drives mapped using the standard windows drive mapping, all of this is connected over a gigabit LAN, one advantages I have found with this is I can download/rip/convert/optimise files on the "Nas", without affecting current streaming performance.

HP Laptop core i5 (Plex Server hardware transcoding)
    Lenovo M58p Core 2 Duo Windows 10 (secondary Plex Server + NAS - 4TB Movies + TV shows)
    Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2 wired ethernet x 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet