If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New feature for new Apple TV 4k?

ChiefsFan70ChiefsFan70 Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are there any developers or persons in the know of what might be coming down the pike for the upcoming AppleTV?

I am really hoping that the new AppleTV supports
output of high-res digital audio formats (Atmos, TrueHD, etc.). I also hope it can play 4k movies in Direct Play without downconverting them to 1080p.

Any news or leaks?

Comments

• cuatro914cuatro914 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 11

I don’t have any info for you but I’d be pretty happy if the Apple TV currently direct played files the way it should without transcoding, with iOS/tvOS 11 HEVC is native so if we could get that working in plex It would be great. Also the sound output stuff is going to be up to licensing agreements I would think... but if the new one supports HDR 4K then I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t support Atmos etc..

• soulgazersoulgazer Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • dragonmeldragonmel Posts: 636Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am really hoping that the plex appletv client actually gets to a point where it can actually play video content correctly and in high quality without shatting its own bed.. that would be a good start...

• hashikohashiko Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No Atmos/True HD. Only DD 5.1 and 7.1. Kinda sucks.

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/

• hashikohashiko Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Guess we should be thankful that the new AppleTV 4K now has gigE. How they shipped the 4th gen with 10BT is beyond comprehension.

• cardsdoccardsdoc Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@hashiko said:
    No Atmos/True HD. Only DD 5.1 and 7.1. Kinda sucks.

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-4k/specs/

Yes initial specs disappointing but we still don't really know what bitstreaming it will or won't do as Apple is unlikely to list that in its specs. Infuse, using it's own video player, can actually bitstream DD and DTS but nothing more than that. The native ATV player (which plex uses) decodes DD or DD+ to PCM and sends it out or re-encodes to DD depending on settings. I think we'll have to wait until we and developers get their hands on it. But I'm guessing a Shield or continued use of a dedicated PC is in my future. Not giving up my HD audio and atmos from my blu-ray rips and I want my high end AVR handling the processing.

• timstephens24timstephens24 Posts: 342Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@cardsdoc said:
    can actually bitstream DD and DTS

They can bitstream DTS-HD MA 7.1 and TrueHD 7.1 as PCM, not just DD and DTS.

Denon X4200W 5.2.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
    Apple TV 4K -- Channels App for TV+DVR
    HDHomeRun Prime (x2) // HDHomeRun Connect
    NVIDIA SHIELD Pro // Intel NUC D54250WYK // XB1S // PS4
    ============= SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 =============

• archer75archer75 Posts: 169Members ✭✭

@timstephens24 said:

@cardsdoc said:
    can actually bitstream DD and DTS

They can bitstream DTS-HD MA 7.1 and TrueHD 7.1 as PCM, not just DD and DTS.

That's not Bitstreaming. Bitstreaming is sending the audio to your receiver for decoding. HD audio formats will be downsampled as the apple tv doesn't support them. It doesn't even Bitstream dd+. It decodes it and sends it out as pcm. Which despite what people think it doesn't always mean untouched audio as some software and devices downsample after decoding.

@hashiko said:
    Guess we should be thankful that the new AppleTV 4K now has gigE. How they shipped the 4th gen with 10BT is beyond comprehension.

Not really. You don't have any need for gigE for streaming. Not even 4k.

• AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,942Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited September 13

Nothing has changed with Apple's CoreAudio subsystem. It will bitstream AC3 and DTS. HD Audio codecs can be decoded by a player like Infuse and sent via Multichannel LPCM.

@Achilles said:
    Nothing has changed with Apple's CoreAudio subsystem. It will bitstream AC3 and DTS. HD Audio codecs can be decoded by a player like Infuse and sent via Multichannel LPCM.

Isn't FLAC support new?

@timstephens24 said:

@Achilles said:

Isn't FLAC support new?

To clarify I am talking about no new support for Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD/Atmos and DTS-HD HR/MA

• SchlichiSchlichi Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass, TunerTester Plex Pass
    edited September 13

I have a few 4K HDR movies on my NAS. Will I be able to play them with Plex on Apple TV 4K?

Greets
    Schlichi

@Schlichi said:
    I have a few 4K HDR movies on my NAS. Will I be able to play them with Plex on Apple TV 4K?

Greets
    Schlichi

Not via plex no. They don't work on my Nvidia shield in plex. Maybe infuse with a future update to support HDR.

@archer75 said:

@Schlichi said:

Greets
    Schlichi

Not via plex no. They don't work on my Nvidia shield in plex. Maybe infuse with a future update to support HDR.

All my 4K HDR HEVC files play fine on my Shield, so hopefully Plex can do something on the Apple TV to get them to work. I think Plex transcodes the video from HEVC to AVC if it has to transcode the audio, so that could be your Shield issue?

Infuse said they'd be supporting HDR in 5.5.5, so that'd be nice. The files play perfectly fine now, but no HDR.

• The120DaysofSodomThe120DaysofSodom Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wanna see native Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support and true 4K video support, as in really high bitrate .mkv Remux files!!!

@The120DaysofSodom said:
    I wanna see native Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support and true 4K video support, as in really high bitrate .mkv Remux files!!!

Not likely. There is no support for MKV either. Those will need to be direct streamed.

• RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,053Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

With all this power, its ridicilous if Plex doesnt add ffmpeg to the code. Direct streaming or transcoding everything makes for a good looking but poor performing client.

Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?
  • Jecht SinJecht Sin Posts: 93Members ✭✭

@archer75 said:

@Schlichi said:

Greets
    Schlichi

I play UHD HDR movies (either HEVC or H264) just fine with Plex on my Bravia Android TV. As long as the audio is supported (which means no DTS passthrough, since it's broken in the Bravia), otherwise the server transcodes the video as well.

Talking about which, what audio is currently supported in Plex for Apple TV? I see Infuse does Hi-Res, for both DTS and DD (converted to LPCM).

• CurunCurun Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Achilles said:

On my AppleTV4... I've not seen any DTS bitstream/passthrough from Plex->AppleTV-> Receiver. Are you sure? These files always transcode the audio. :(