Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

List View of Folder in Library in Plex for Android

Philplex99Philplex99 Posts: 21Members ✭✭
edited September 13 in Android (mobile)

New thread – old problem

There has been a thread running for 4 years on the issue below and the “bug” has never been addressed, despite many requests and many software upgrades over the period. So I am starting this new thread with a description of the problem as seen on the current version (6.4.1.1644) of Plex for Android .

Briefly, the problem concerns getting a List View of the contents of a particular Folder.
I will describe it clearly, in detail, below.

For a Library pointing to a hierarchical system of Folders, SubFolders and Files, when a Library is selected on the Player, All the files in that Library are displayed in alphabetical order, irrespective of which Folder or Subfolder they are in. There is a Grid/List Menu ( box-of-dots, top middle ) to select a Grid or List View of these files.

Many people dislike Grid View, since the Filename is severely truncated, and find List View much more useful.

There may be times when seeing All the files is useful but usually, navigating down to the required Folder/Subfolder is better to display just the files therein.

This can be achieved from the Type Menu ( WiFi-type-icon, top right hand) by selecting Folders, rather than Movies. However, the Grid/List Menu then disappears, the view defaults to Grid View and there is no means of restoring List View.

Overall a very useful program but this "bug" is a real downer. Could the problem , PLEASE, PLEASE be addressed in the next version.

The Server has similar functionality but there is no problem there and List View is retained after navigating down the Folder hierarchy.

I refer to this as a "bug", since I think it very unlikely that this behavior was intended but have tagged it Feature Request just in case I am wrong

Comments

• YanblockYanblock Posts: 2Members

I have recently discovered Plex and thought it would be great for streaming all my media from my PC. I have 1000s of files spread over more than 200 folders.
    Streaming a file once I have found it seems to work well for me but finding it is a big problem so I joined the forum for help with this. Your post explains my problem.
    I can search my 1st folder but can not then show the contents of this or subfolders in a List to navigate down to my file- I am forced to use the Grid, which does not show enough of the file name. Seems strange behavior!
    I agree this makes the system rather unusable I hope this can be cured. It would then be good.

• Philplex99Philplex99 Posts: 21Members ✭✭

If you search again on List View you will find the old Thread which was ongoing for a very long time .
    It is a mystery to me why this "bug" was not picked up and corrected in one of the updates since it really spoils the system.
    It is very frustrating that all the other users and now myself are failing to get the message back to the Team.
    I am beginning to feel that this forum is of no value at all in feeding back essential system changes .
    I have not seen any comments why it works in this way and why anyone should think that this behavior is useful.
    The Grid View may look pretty and colorful but seeing data more clearly ( as it does in List View ) is of prime importance to me and I would think most users.

• YanblockYanblock Posts: 2Members

Yes, very irritating.
    I think it needs only a few lines of program change to correct this.
    It would make life with Plex so much better.
    I would need to change 1000s of filenames to make them unique in Grid View since the way I name them, the first part indicates the folder they are in and then details of that particular file.
    In Grid View, only the first part can be seen, which is useless.
    In List View, I would see the rest of the filename.
    Are there any other similar Apps which would be better ?

edited September 17

I have started a Poll of preferences for List or Grid View
    It will be interesting to see the results.

Incidentally, when I first started to use Plex, with an earlier version of Plex for Android, the Folder option was in the Group with Grid and List. When I updated to the next version, I saw that Folder had been moved.
    Hurrah, I thought, it will be OK now.
    Alas, the choice of List View was still removed after first use of Folder.
    This suggests that these forums are not read by the right people, since this bug should have been collected together with other mods, for inclusion in the next update.
    So, not much confidence that it will be addressed next time.

It needs a better system of bug reporting.

It would be interesting to know if the bug is the same on other platforms, as well as Android.

Unfortunately, very few of the people who read these posts make any comment.
    Support or rebuff of our comments /suggestions would be useful.

• WaleedHamraWaleedHamra Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's a very annoying issue. I don't understand why offer a "List View" but then make it available only for the top level of the hierarchy!

I want everything to show up as List View. Some people want everything to show up as Grid View. It shouldn't be THAT hard, it's a 15 minute job for the laziest of developers unless their app is some convoluted mess of a code.

I play mostly Classical Music, and it's insanely hard trying to understand what I'm selecting from grid view, "Beethoven Symphon.." "Beethoven Symphon.." "Beethoven Symphon.." "Beethoven Symphon..", I think my point is clear on this :D

edited September 19

It's been raised on Twitter and Plex say they regard it as low priority. See below

Maybe more tweets there would help to raise its priority.

I found another tweet where Plex were recommending pointing a Library at the top level of a folder tree. This I find quite amazing and seems to reflect Plex's lack of understanding of Folders and Files and their system.
    If the tree contains 100s of Folders and 1000s of files, then simply using List View ( or Grid View ) shows ALL the files in 1 HUGE list ( or grid ). The necessary use of Folder View to reduce this to a manageable size then imposes Grid View, with its severe problem for longish file names.

So I also, tweeted there about this issue.

edited September 21

In an earlier post I said
    It would be interesting to know if the bug is the same on other platforms, as well as Android.
    I have answered this (at least partially) myself by installing the Plex Media Player ( for Windows ) on my laptop.
    This looks rather like the Server and behaves perfectly well (for Videos - see P.S. below) i.e.
    after choosing Folders (rather then Movies) from one drop-down menu, another similar menu offers the List/Grid choice.
    However, it would still be interesting to know if the omission of this option in Plex for Android was deliberate or a programming error - guess we will never know. Whichever, it causes a lot of grief and irritation, particularly now that we know they are aware of it but regard it as low priority.

P.S. Everything to date by me has concerned Videos. Having just started to look at Photos, I see there are problems there too e.g. Sorting by Name, which appear not to work.