Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K HDR Bluray direct play possible or not?

hannchuahannchua Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I found a full 4K HDR Bluray movie online - The Martian (43.6GB) in mkv format

Plex Media Server: PC ( i7-6700 GTX 1070 16GB Ram)
Playing off TV: LG OLED C7

The TV does not switch to HDR mode and colours(not from the US) look washed out and there's transcoding BUT NOT direct play. How do I enable direct play? Is it even possible? What should I do? Anyone with the knowledge please enlighten me as I want to learn so please phrase the explanation properly, thank you. Kindly include the problems I'm facing, solutions if available and suggestions for add-ons or further purchases to be made. Thanks again.

Answers

• mm98mm98 Posts: 391Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 12

@hannchua said:
    I found a full 4K HDR Bluray movie online - The Martian (43.6GB) in mkv format

Plex Media Server: PC ( i7-6700 GTX 1070 16GB Ram)
    Playing off TV: LG OLED C7

The TV does not switch to HDR mode and colours(not from the US) look washed out and there's transcoding BUT NOT direct play. How do I enable direct play? Is it even possible? What should I do? Anyone with the knowledge please enlighten me as I want to learn so please phrase the explanation properly, thank you. Kindly include the problems I'm facing, solutions if available and suggestions for add-ons or further purchases to be made. Thanks again.

The official Plex for LG app does not forward HDR to the TV. But, if you use XPlay (not free) or enable DLNA in Plex Media Server and use the built-in LG "Photos & Videos" app, it will Direct Play 4K with HDR (HEVC/x265).

Plex Media Server: QNAP TS-453 Pro (CPU Mark: 1864, Intel Celeron @ 1.99GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, SSD, 2 x WD)
    Plex Media Clients: PlexWeb (app.plex.tv), Plex for LG, ChromeCast Ultra, iPhone 6, iPad Pro, Apple TV 4 and Sonos
    DVR Hardware: HDHomeRun EXPAND (HDHR3-4DC)
    Smart TV: LG UHD UH7500 (US) / UH750V (EU) (WebOS 3.0)