Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

I cannot find the SYNC - Download function Ver 2.1.0.74

GrahamGoGrahamGo Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please help. I installed the latest Plex Media Player on my laptop a few weeks ago. I could see that it functioned but did not have the need to use it in earnest until this morning. I was preparing everything in preparation to leave on a long trip in the evening and decided to SYNC a few programs onto the laptop for future viewing. The PC is a W10 64bit, I had installed the Plex Player ver 2.1.0.74. I have a lifetime Plex subscription.

I thought it would take minutes to perform the job. But I finally had to give up. I simply cannot find out how where the SYNC/DOWNLOAD function is lurking. previously I remember the ability to set a maximum size limit and maybe location. There were various toggles to start the sync etc.

Anyway, after an hour or more I gave up frustrated. I am now typing this at the airport. I have just checked my Android phone and I see the sync function is there and I started a sync to check it. It seems to work, so I think my server is fine.

Actually, I have just found that if I choose a program then can click on the three dots. I see SYNC. When I go to STATUS - SYNC I do see a few tagged videos, but it says 'waiting to download' Now I am guessing that Plex doesn't know where to put the files. - Wild guess... But it's too late now to get the content.

Please advise, did I download the wrong version or something?

Answers

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 603Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Nah you are not doing anything wrong.

The windows Plex media player does seem to have a sync function which I find frustrating myself.

On Android you can sync so you can see the button and option. If it says waiting to download it's probably cause you don't have allow sync on mobile and your phone was not on wifi at airport.

You can enable sync over mobile or connect to WiFi and it will download to your Android but not your laptop.

• GrahamGoGrahamGo Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

But.... But.. I had a working Sync on my laptop on an earlier version which worked quite reliably. So is it correct to say that V2.1xx is devoid of a working Sync. Even though I found it in the 3 dots icon? So is the solution to go back to an earlier pre V2 ?

Because I want to use the laptop. It's got a nice size HD screen and good sound.

I should just clarify that the 'waiting to download' status was caused by myself using the Sync function that I finally found in the Windows Plex Media player V2.1 and not on the Android, which I don't really want to use.

So my final question is which is the best version to switch to?

Thank you for the prompt reply, now I feel a bit better. Welcome from Mexico, just arrived :)

I cant speak for older versions I actually just started using the media player myself and I am using version 2.1.0.74-8e24a8f4 and there seems to be no Sync option so I figured it was never available cause removing that seems just stupid but hey.

If you turn "plex pass" off in downloads you can pull down the public version 1.3.5.689-a36fa532 and see maybe that guy has sync still... or use this link same thing

Hi, thank you so much for the hint. I would never have thought to turn the Plex pass off in order to get the public version. I have done that and it took me to the Microsoft store, there it mentions ver 3.2.20

But I can confirm that this version does provide the ability to SYNC content to the Windows Plex application.

I do hope that this will be introduced into a later version of 2.x.x.x

Perhaps someone with inside information can confirm that this is the case.

Here is a screen shot of the SYNC settings in the public version.

Here is a screenshot of the SYNC function found in ver 2.1.0.74 But I could not get it to actually transfer. Nore could I find an option to reserve any Sync space on my laptop.

Yeah I see that "Sync" option in the newest version as well but it only allows you to sync to clients/devices that support sync so I can click that and I get my mobile phone as a destination to sync to but not the laptop. I am really surprised that was taken away in newer versions especially since I believe Sync is a plex pass paid for option.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,571Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

The app from the Windows app store has the ability to sync.
    The other app you can download for free above cannot do that.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

@OttoKerner So just to clarify windows 7 and below users cant get the "App" and cant sync at all but windows 10 users can get the "App" which is provided by M$ store and if they install the latest plex pass version provided by Plex direct they cant sync?

Sorry that just seems really confusing so going forward I'd like to be able to answer this question with more accuracy.

And what about the Mac PMP client does it have sync functions at all?

@nokdim Yes, so as you point out the ver 2.1.0.74 sync does see the MS store Plex app as a valid sync client. Which in my case is on the same laptop. I do hope that ver 2.1.0.74 is just at an interim stage. Why would a feature as important as this get removed?

I have just deleted ver 2.1.0.74 in that process I saw that the MS app is 113mb in size and the ver 2.1.0.74 is (was) 416mb. Quite a difference in size.

• DaveBinMDaveBinM Posts: 1,234Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Plex Media Player can trigger a sync from the server to another device (the same as you can in the web app), but you cannot sync to PMP, and have never been able to. So nothing has been removed here, it's always been like this.

The Windows Store app is a completely different product to Plex Media Player, and has a different look, and some different functions (such as being a sync target).

Server: Late 2014 Mac Mini [3.0Ghz i7-4578U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD]
    Storage: Synology DS1815+ [HGST DeskStar 3TB x 4, HGST DeskStar 6TB x 2 and HGST DeskStar 8TB x 2]
    Clients: PMP (Mac & Windows). iPhone. iPad. PS4. Android. Android TV. Web.

Help: Support | PMS Logs | PMP Logs | iOS Logs | Media XML

@nokdim said:
    @OttoKerner So just to clarify windows 7 and below users cant get the "App" and cant sync at all

Correct.

but windows 10 users can get the "App" which is provided by M$ store and if they install the latest plex pass version provided by Plex direct they cant sync?

What makes you think that?
    If I understand correctly, the OP has installed PMP instead of the Windows store app.
    If he had stayed on the Windows store app, he'd still be able to sync.

And what about the Mac PMP client does it have sync functions at all?

There is no Mac client with the ability to sync. Never was.
    The feature is named 'mobile sync'.
    The Windows store app has the sync ability only because it also runs on Windows phones and tablets. In fact, it was primarily built for these types of devices.
    There is no OSX phone, nor a tablet. These devices from Apple run iOS. And there is an iOS app with Sync ability.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 1,140Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    There is no Mac client with the ability to sync. Never was.

So the only way to get sync on a Mac laptop is to use Parallels or similar software with Windows 10 and the Windows store app :)

Besides, would it be possible for a third party to develop a client (like, for example, OpenPHT) in such a way that it allows syncing to a laptop, or is mobile sync only available on official Plex clients?

Last but not least, since Kodi runs on mobile devices too, would it be possible to have sync on Plex for Kodi?

I cannot speculate about this.

@Ottokerner said:

What makes you think that?

Because @GrahamGo said:

I have done that and it took me to the Microsoft store

So how is the user supposed to know if they are on App or PMP when the site redirects them to the M$ store in one case but not the other?!?!?!
    I can see from a users perspective how that can be very confusing...

The feature is named mobile sync.

You are right about that!
    Funny thing about that is that laptops have been mobile since they were named laptops, just saying!!!

Seems like a crucial piece of Plex that should be included especially for laptops as they have way more local storage capabilities and less restrictions compared to what you are considering a "mobile device"

@nokdim said:
    Funny thing about that is that laptops have been mobile since they were named laptops, just saying!!!

Touche :D

@nokdim said:
    Because @GrahamGo said:

I have done that and it took me to the Microsoft store

Going to the Microsoft Store is the right choice. This is where you get the app that is able to sync.

@OttoKerner said:
    Going to the Microsoft Store is the right choice. This is where you get the app that is able to sync.

In this case, yes. What is confusing is if you chose Plex Media Player for Windows and then disable Plex Pass, it brings you to the Windows Store version instead of the non-plex pass version of Plex Media Player

@zpaolo11x said:
    In this case, yes. What is confusing is if you chose Plex Media Player for Windows and then disable Plex Pass,

You are right. This is perhaps a remnant from when PMP was still Plex Pass.
    I'll alert the right people.