If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV 4K & FLAC Support

ptfosterptfoster Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The new Apple TV 4K, as well as the new iPhones announced today, now natively support FLAC files! Does this mean the Apple TV Plex app will now support streaming FLAC from my media server without transcoding? If not yet, how soon would that change be implemented in the Plex App?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• pecinkopecinko Posts: 1,079Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    With regards to the Apple TV client, it also appear that they don't have any planned anyway. :pensive:

Well looking at the past I can predict with great possibility that they will be doing graphical overhaul to make ATV client fit tvOS11 and since the FLAC and HEVC are officialy supported by Apple they will make it to Plex client as well. Plain deduction, really.

Quartz theme for PlexConnectApp (Apple TV 4)
    Amber skin for PHT, Quartz

Answers

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,741Members ✭✭✭✭

@ptfoster said:
    The new Apple TV 4K, as well as the new iPhones announced today, now natively support FLAC files! Does this mean the Apple TV Plex app will now support streaming FLAC from my media server without transcoding? If not yet, how soon would that change be implemented in the Plex App?

Reading the online specs, it looks like great news

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 738Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ptfoster said:
    If not yet, how soon would that change be implemented in the Plex App?

Plex doesn't announce new features in advance...

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 414Members ✭✭✭

@darcilicious said:

@ptfoster said:
    If not yet, how soon would that change be implemented in the Plex App?

Plex doesn't announce new features in advance...

With regards to the Apple TV client, it also appear that they don't have any planned anyway. :pensive:

Accepted Answer

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

Well looking at the past I can predict with great possibility that they will be doing graphical overhaul to make ATV client fit tvOS11 and since the FLAC and HEVC are officialy supported by Apple they will make it to Plex client as well. Plain deduction, really.

@pecinko said:

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

Since they use the Apple TVs built in video player, FLAC and HEVC support will come automatically, so not really anything that they'd plan... And I am unsure as to what graphical overhaul you are talking about, since the GUI is exactly the same between tvOS10 and 11?

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    Since they use the Apple TVs built in video player, FLAC and HEVC support will come automatically, so not really anything that they'd plan... And I am unsure as to what graphical overhaul you are talking about, since the GUI is exactly the same between tvOS10 and 11?

All features need to be supported by PMS as well. What I saw on Apple keynote seemed a bit different than tvOS 10?

@pecinko said:

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

All features need to be supported by PMS as well. What I saw on Apple keynote seemed a bit different than tvOS 10?

PMS already supports FLAC and HEVC and has for quite some time, years in fact for FLAC. And no, they did no changes short of 4K support.

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    PMS already supports FLAC and HEVC and has for quite some time, years in fact for FLAC. And no, they did no changes short of 4K support.

Well then I guess you're all set - since you have tvOS 11 go on and direct play some FLAC or HEVC ;)

• timstephens24timstephens24 Posts: 342Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

@pecinko said:

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:

PMS will need to update the tvOS profile first, then it'll support the new codecs.

Denon X4200W 5.2.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
    Apple TV 4K -- Channels App for TV+DVR
    HDHomeRun Prime (x2) // HDHomeRun Connect
    NVIDIA SHIELD Pro // Intel NUC D54250WYK // XB1S // PS4
    ============= SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 =============

• The120DaysofSodomThe120DaysofSodom Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't have movies that use FLAC audio so I'm more curious if it can natively play Dolby Atmos and DTS:X Audio to match the visual HDR experience...

• LatticeLattice Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

TV’s lack of support for Atmos decoding is marring the experience on X PLAY so might be interested in ATV, but doesn’t support that codec it looks like.

But I woulkdn’t mind if the video was direct play but the audio transcoded, unfortunately with X PLAY its both transcoded or direct play, which kills the server.

• tonyarnoldtonyarnold Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Atmos is coming to the ATV4K in a software update, according to Apple.