Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV not recognizing that I'm watching something!

Jennings81Jennings81 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 18 in Apple TV

This seems to have happened with the last update for the AppleTV.

Login with any user (we have 3 managed users), watch something, and if we stop watching it at all midway through, it's stuck at that point. The only way to fix it is to switch users, and switch back. (edit: or restart the plex app completely) This happens for all of our users on all 4 of our AppleTVs.

I noticed that when I am watching something that's stuck, Plex Media Server doesn't recognize that I'm watching anything in "Now Playing" from the server. Doesn't matter what I play, could be a different episode, show, movie, etc.

• I've checked the database, which was ok, and repaired it regardless.
  • I've reinstalled PMS.
  • I've reinstalled the AppleTV app.

Any help or suggestions PLEASE.

Comments

• joshs85joshs85 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 13

I am experiencing similar behavior on the most recent version. If I start playing something on apple tv after quitting the app and reopening, the show I'm watching is properly reported. If I then stop playing that content and then play something else or resume it, the server is never updated with the correct status. I noticed this because I have web hooks configured to trigger smart things lighting automations and they seemed to have stopped working. It seems to stay that way until I force quit the apple tv app and reopen it. The versions of everything are below:

PMS: Version 3.20.5
    IOS: 10.2.2 (14W756)
    Plex AppleTV App: 1.16 (6629)

Any help greatly appreciated.

• skc176skc176 Posts: 2Members

I am having the same problem. I have rebooted everything, including my router. Reinstalled the app on the AppleTV. No joy. The last update for the AppleTV app broke something. I have the same versions as previous post.

Again, any help would be appreciated!

• brechtdebaenebrechtdebaene Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

im seeing very similar behaviour.

I will start a show and it will update fine. but then if I stop the show and resume it, the progress never gets updated anymore. the reported progress just stays on wherever I stopped the show the first time.
    I have a plugin that has plex control my hue lights. and the lights are mirroring this behviour, they will work as needed the first time I launch the media, but after a stop/resume, they never work as intended.

its as if the appleTV doesn't communicate with the server at all when resuming media.

• paigomez1990paigomez1990 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup.... having the same issue. I hope this gets fixed soon.

• x64Manx64Man Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can’t believe there hasn’t been more reports of this, I have 4 Apple tv’s with this behaviour....

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 377Members ✭✭✭

I saw this behavior today. Direct streaming to a MBP was shown as expected, but streaming to the AppleTV was never indicated by the server. It was quite strange.

• Joost1991Joost1991 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same experiences as described above.

Was all working well, now it is kind of annoying.

• ThePuppetMasinterThePuppetMasinter Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This bug is driving me bonkers!

Happening on both of my apple tv’s and I’m begging for an update.

• nookumnookum Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I noticed the resume issue a couple days ago. Now that I know to look, my Plex dashboard says nothing is playing while I stream to my ATV. Hope this gets fixed soon, it is a major PITA!

• camncharcamnchar Posts: 195Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I noticed this yesterday on one movie. Terrible!

• jjrossjjross Posts: 379Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happened to me too. It seems to me the “reload” spinner is spinning when I end the show and it never stops.

• Joost1991Joost1991 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Joost1991 said:
    I have the same experiences as described above.

Was all working well, now it is kind of annoying.

Follow-up on my post; I reverted my server back to plexmediaserver_1.8.1.4139-c789b3fbb_amd64.deb. Since I done this I didn't have any problems regarding not setting the watch status. I will update this in a few days to see if it indeed does fix the problem.

• ThePuppetMasinterThePuppetMasinter Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@joshs85 said:
    I am experiencing similar behavior on the most recent version. If I start playing something on apple tv after quitting the app and reopening, the show I'm watching is properly reported. If I then stop playing that content and then play something else or resume it, the server is never updated with the correct status. I noticed this because I have web hooks configured to trigger smart things lighting automations and they seemed to have stopped working. It seems to stay that way until I force quit the apple tv app and reopen it. The versions of everything are below:

PMS: Version 3.20.5
    IOS: 10.2.2 (14W756)
    Plex AppleTV App: 1.16 (6629)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Same thing here, force quitting the plex app on the apple tv seems to be the only way to temporarily fix the problem. Force quitting the app between every pause of a show is not very fun though!

• VBPLEXVBPLEX Posts: 56Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here...

• YeomansNASYeomansNAS Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having same issue - maybe caused from tvOS 11 update?

• skc176skc176 Posts: 2Members

Nope. I have just updated to tvOS 11. The problem started with the most recent update to the Plex App on the AppleTV, running tvOS10.

• Mongoose69Mongoose69 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here.

• glockjacketglockjacket Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here....

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 377Members ✭✭✭

@YeomansNAS said:
    Having same issue - maybe caused from tvOS 11 update?

No, I had this occuring on tvOS10 with PMS 1.4.4, so it is yet another Apple TV Plex client issue.

• Skelet0rSkelet0r Posts: 22Members ✭✭

Same here. I doubt dev will even read this. Multiple issues with AppleTV since ages and no dev cares shrug