Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

New Apple TV 4k

GhettorabGhettorab Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I know the Apple TV 4K has just been announced, but will it be capable of 4k Direct Play on the Plex App? I see on the Apple website it supports HEVC:
H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile
HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

Main reason I'm asking is because I have a Sony 65" XBR65X850D, which stutters severely everytime I try to play 4k content using the built in Android TV.

My plex server is running on a Mac Mini 2013 i7. All other content plays fine just not 4k. I figured it was due to server having to transcode because the TV direct play.

Tagged:

Answers

• sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 13

Transcoding 4K pretty much sucks until you've got a nice piece of multicore modern hardware to do it. Even my Plex server which is an 8-core 2008 Mac Pro can't do it reliably. I'm lucky that the media player on my LG OLED set works pretty well with more content and nearly all the 4K stuff I throw at it.

As for Apple TV 4K, I think a lot more video will end up being able to have DirectPlay support. But audio may still be unwieldy if the audio isn't something it recognizes. But I think overall Plex should be really good on the new platform.

• noirmarunoirmaru Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

apparently no atmos or DTS:X support. and of course, it is anyones guess how long until plex officially supports the new appletv.

• GhettorabGhettorab Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

hmmm, what other hardware should I consider then? Nvidia Shield?