If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

iOS FLAC support

ismayismay Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As mentioned in this thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/274851/ios-11-hevc-support ios 11 will have native flac support. With the ios beta directly playing flac from plex works by updating plex like so:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6fx0ob/flac_on_ios_11_beta/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=PleX

Will this be added to plex so it works without the workaround?

Comments

• transatlantictransatlantic Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also keen to see this implemented.

And I assume that all my sync downloaded music will need to be re-downloaded to get the FLAC files onto my iPhone, correct?

• uncleungieuncleungie Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd love to see FLAC playback in the iOS app, too. It's fully supported in iOS 11, so here's hoping.

• transatlantictransatlantic Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It is possible that Plex is already taking advantage of iOS 11's FLAC support, but I don't know how to check to confirm. Does anyone?

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hello guys,

the next version of the app will have FLAC support for playback, but not yet for syncing (that requires a server change).

• woozie1woozie1 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

@sergiou87 said:
    Hello guys,

the next version of the app will have FLAC support for playback, but not yet for syncing (that requires a server change).

great news. thank you very much :)
    any idea when the new version will be released?

• AndyBlakAndyBlak Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was just researching this issue and found this thread. I am very eager to have FLAC play without transcoding on my iPad. Is there a specific version number of the iOS app that I should be watching for?

Thank you for implementing this! Most of my music library is FLAC.

Server Hardware: Intel i7-7700K, Corsair DDR4 32GB, ASUS GTX 1070 x2
    ISP: ~600 Mbps / ~50 Mbps

• NeilzNeilz Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In addition to above, what are the limitations regarding resolution of the FLAC's?

• woozie1woozie1 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

New update is here w/ FLAC support

thank you!

• chrisdvdchrisdvd Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

FLAC sync and local playback works if you tweak the iOS Profile XML and set the transcode target to FLAC. You’re going from FLAC to FLAC so in theory everything should remain Lossless. Of course native support would be preferred but until then, this “hack” seems to work.

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 596Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@chrisdvd said:
    FLAC sync and local playback works if you tweak the iOS Profile XML and set the transcode target to FLAC. You’re going from FLAC to FLAC so in theory everything should remain Lossless. Of course native support would be preferred but until then, this “hack” seems to work.

Exactly. The problem is the iOS app can't tell the server the device supports FLAC without using the iOS Profile XML. We can do that for playback, but not for sync.

It's something that needs to be implemented on server side first :confused:

• AndyBlakAndyBlak Posts: 4Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I did my best to research this on my own, but would like to confirm. When you guys are talking about modifying the iOS profile XML, you're talking about the iOS.xml file in the Profiles folder, I assume. I opened it up and didn't see anything about FLAC, so I just added a new line.

<MusicProfile codec="flac" container="flac"/>

Is this correct?

Server Hardware: Intel i7-7700K, Corsair DDR4 32GB, ASUS GTX 1070 x2
    ISP: ~600 Mbps / ~50 Mbps

• ismayismay Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@sergiou87 Is there an idea on when the necessary changes will be implemented for plex server?

@sergiou87 said:
    Exactly. The problem is the iOS app can't tell the server the device supports FLAC without using the iOS Profile XML. We can do that for playback, but not for sync.

It's something that needs to be implemented on server side first :confused:

The phone is syncing FLAC files after tweaking the XML. However, you lose the ability to set the bitrate via the app. Once the Profile XML is tweaked, it will ONLY sync FLAC.

@AndyBlak said:
    I did my best to research this on my own, but would like to confirm. When you guys are talking about modifying the iOS profile XML, you're talking about the iOS.xml file in the Profiles folder, I assume. I opened it up and didn't see anything about FLAC, so I just added a new line.

<MusicProfile codec="flac" container="flac"/>

Is this correct?

No need to add a line. Just change the existing one from MP3 to FLAC.

As an upside, you get local gapless playback :)

@ismay said:
    @sergiou87 Is there an idea on when the necessary changes will be implemented for plex server?

No idea, sorry. I'm asking them too since this would be useful for other formats (like HEVC video), but I guess those changes are a bit complex :disappointed:

@chrisdvd said:

@sergiou87 said:

The phone is syncing FLAC files after tweaking the XML. However, you lose the ability to set the bitrate via the app. Once the Profile XML is tweaked, it will ONLY sync FLAC.

>

Hmmm it should change the bitrate too, but only if you don't remove the line that says mp3. If you set a low bitrate, it should transcode to mp3 to respect that bitrate.

@sergiou87 said:

@ismay said:

No idea, sorry. I'm asking them too since this would be useful for other formats (like HEVC video), but I guess those changes are a bit complex :disappointed:

@chrisdvd said:

@sergiou87 said:

>

Hmmm it should change the bitrate too, but only if you don't remove the line that says mp3. If you set a low bitrate, it should transcode to mp3 to respect that bitrate.

If the line stays MP3, it will change the bitrate accordingly. If it gets changed to FLAC, the bitrate setting is useless as FLAC isn’t and can’t be locked into a specific bitrate. It has varying levels of techniques to reduce the filesize but it can’t be forced into any specific bitrate.

• luismarcilioluismarcilio Posts: 9Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Works for me, including high resolution audio.
    <DirectPlayProfiles>
    <VideoProfile container="mp4,mov" codec="h264,mpeg4" audioCodec="aac" subtitleCodec="mov_text,tx3g,ttxt,text" />
    <!-- Allow Direct Play of HLS content -->
    <VideoProfile protocol="hls" container="mpegts" codec="h264" audioCodec="aac" />
    <MusicProfile container="mp3" codec="mp3" />
    <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="aac" />
    <MusicProfile container="mp4" codec="alac" />
    <MusicProfile container="flac" codec="flac" />
    <MusicProfile container="alac" codec="alac" />
    <PhotoProfile container="jpeg" />
    </DirectPlayProfiles>

But I cannot transcode other lossless formats to FLAC or ALAC.
    And I have lots of .dsf and .ape