If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Find out the best way to deploy The Plex service

eRqzeRqz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 13 in Docker

Hello there!
I'm trying to find the best forums to post my question. I hope i didn't miss something for my first post.
So i'll skip the part where I discovered Plex, got my PlexPass, got some hardware, building a NAS to install FreeNas (big ZFS fan since OpenSolaris) with my very little knowledge. Started with the plex in jail, discover limitations, read tons of threads and finally I found a good workaround with VMs, Ubuntu and Docker.

I spent my last week-end to test several tools that define The Plex for me :smile:

• PlexAuth (maybe there is another way with nginx)
  • PlexRequests
  • PlexPy

When all work together it's gorgeous.

Really this is fantastic. Now i've test-drived the solution I would like to go beyond and setup something which is quite less a test environment and provide security to users by :

• SSLized communication with the part of the server exposed to the Internet. Which package should I use to get nginx + ssl with let's envrypt and auto-renewal. I'm also ready to read some tutorials because my networking knowledge is very limited.
  • I'm using NFS share on Ubuntu to mount my dataset to the docker container. Maybe there is something more elegant than editing fstab
  • Setup the right VM. I've allocated 8g of ram on 16g and 4 cores on 4 cores. Maybe there is some guidelines and I was pretty random but I didn't have any issue so far.
  • Get the correct setup for client to avoid too much transcode

In fact i'm a bit lost because everything is barely running fine but I want to go beyond and deliver something clean. Is there some steps not to miss ?

Edit : currently using linuxserver containers. i never setup :plexpass but it seems to give all the features including the very nice PlexMix feature - i'm so glad to use it. I love it.

Thank you for your advices :)
Long live Plex :blush:

Answers

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 879Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

So I hear you are a big fan of FreeNAS but if you look into UnRaid they offer a docker instance built in so no need for an Ubuntu VM to get docker running which makes this whole setup much cleaner and solves all your questions in a much more elegant way.

I evaluated both (although a couple years ago) and ended up with UnRaid as a simpler solution.