If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shield TV can Direct Play LiveTV but not Recordings - ExoPlayer v2?

cncbcncb Posts: 156Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Now that they switched TV recording back to TS, the Shield TV forces a remux with the OSD showing that the mpegts container is not supported. This causes skipping delays for me when watching recordings. Curiously, LiveTV is direct played with the OSD showing that the "ExoPlayer v2" player is being used. I assume TS is also used for LiveTV so why can't recordings be direct played with the same player?

Answers

• cncbcncb Posts: 156Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Will we ever be able to direct play recordings?

Now that playing in-progress recordings is supported and direct plays with "ExoPlayer v2", why isn't it used to play completed recordings?

Can someone from Plex explain why this it the case?

I guess I will have to keep bumping this until I get an answer.

• thruster999thruster999 Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm experiencing the same issue i.e. live tv is fine but recordings don't work

But in my case I receive an error message that the transcoder has crashed.

• cybergrimescybergrimes Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, see a lot of threads about this here and in the Shield area too ;/

• mtjakemtjake Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Would like to get an answer on this also.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,409Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We can't just replace the player. There is worked needed to make it work with all of Plex's features. We are slowly working our way and using it for LiveTV is is just 1 step.

• cj251cj251 Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 12

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    We can't just replace the player. There is worked needed to make it work with all of Plex's features. We are slowly working our way and using it for LiveTV is is just 1 step.

Have you guys looked into using mpv for the Android plex client as it's used in Plex Media Player? I've noticed with the official client that it won't directly play AC3 and instead have to transcode it to AAC, where with Kodi on android (using Plex for Kodi addon) it will play just fine without needing to transcode or direct stream either. MPV seems to also support (and through the official PMP app now) HDR to SDR colorspace conversion. If it isn't already available through the Android app now, than it would likely be possible after the release of Oreo on shield.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,409Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Adapting MPV as the player would require the same difficulties using Exoplayer 2. We do have the ability to customize Exoplayer 2 so we should be able to offer more features as well once it is ready.

• TVPlexHDTVPlexHD Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

One issue with Exoplayer is it's not very forgiving to issues/errors in the video stream. It for example craps out on a number of MPEG2 recordings from my OTA tuner that contain transmission errors (caused by weather for example). This leads to Plex popping up some incorrect error message about it being disconnected from the server.

If MPV is the same amount of work, it would be prudent going forward to use that instead - it keeps multiple Plex targets using the same playback engine, leading to possibly better long-term support and issue management.