If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple Watch Client App Request

PresenceOfMindPresenceOfMind Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Now with Apple Watch 3 and LTE(celular connection). We seen Apple pushing the watch to become a stand alone device more and more. It's time for the plex team to start looking forward and develop a plex client app for apple watch.

Comments

• BillyPrefectBillyPrefect Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I think you’d end up with a dead watch in less than an hour. I don’t think it’s useful at this point.

Plex Media Server Plex-Pass.

• brosiff420brosiff420 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also interested in this... even if its just for music. I don't want to pay for Apple Music, I want to use my own server.

• MCMINIPLEXMCMINIPLEX Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also interested.. with support for offline music (workouts)

• GoSpursGoGoSpursGo Posts: 47Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes... PLEASE bring Apple Watch support! I'm somewhat shocked to see it take so damn long considering Plex started on iOS and the Apple Watch is the most popular wearable.

I've been loading all my music into Plex and would love the ability to stream music from my server directly to my watch!!

• lhnzlhnz Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, I want this for music, too.

• alwaysZeroHouralwaysZeroHour Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Music may not come, apple currently isnt allowing music on watch apps without approval, even spotify isnt able to get on watch os yet.

• shrouskishrouski Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BillyPrefect said:
    I think you’d end up with a dead watch in less than an hour. I don’t think it’s useful at this point.

Why would it be dead? Wouldn't using it as a remote simply hook the player to the server directly?

It seems like it would be an obvious beneficial addition to me.

• transatlantictransatlantic Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BillyPrefect said:

Music streaming has actually become pretty efficient in terms of battery consumption. The watch could download a full album pretty quickly with LTE download speeds, then stop using the LTE service and play back off the local cache, thereby preserving battery.

• transatlantictransatlantic Posts: 122Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

And here here for an Apple Watch client!

• eubanks718eubanks718 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Definitely looking forward to whenever this can be implemented!

• Ramx2Ramx2 Posts: 34Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 5

Me too!! I was looking if this was asked before posting it as a feature request !!

We want PLEX Client for Apple Watch 3 LTE : D

• TelliceTellice Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 6

This is would be good, to being able to listen to music from my plex server without the need of having my phone. Thorugh my apple watch series 3 and airpods, would be amazing feat, if they can pull it off. It would round my plex expeerince to being dam close to perfection. And also remote controling my plex media player through my watch. (being perferection would be having music videos back, but thats for a different thred and reasoning why that got removed)

• jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,303Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We're still evaluating what functionality could potentially be provided by a watch app. Unfortunately, streaming music playback directly on the watch won't be possible with the current APIs that Apple expose for use by third party developers :disappointed:

• PresenceOfMindPresenceOfMind Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 11

Hi jam,

It's great to hear Plex is already looking at this. That's the first step.
    I know there are more watch apps been implemented or upgraded to work as stand alone but at this stage there might still be some limitations.
    Another approach would be to connect the iwatch to iphone and have the audio streamed. I suggest to have a look at that.
    This would be a first version until Apple releases the APIs you required to develop the functionality directly on the iwatch.
    Maybe this helps.
    Cheers

• HappyPig0HappyPig0 Posts: 317Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Remote on Apple Watch would be great to have. Fingers crossed!

At home, I'm running a 48TB QNAP 871T 16Gb RAM serving 2 x LG 48" TVs, 4 x Samsung 42" TVs, all via Apple TV4 & Plex. Each can transcode HD MKV without any bumps all at the same time.
    4 iPads, 3 iPhones, 2 x Mac Mini & 1 iMac. So wish I had bought Apple shares years back