If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV spinning circle / buffering / skipping at end of show

Ian & GeorgeIan & George Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 18 in Apple TV

With most shows over the past month or so work fine while playing then with about 2 minutes left they stall with the spinny wheel, skip and sometimes boot out early. I use iPad to finish the episode and plays fine there
Running latest version of Apple TV and server apps
Latest show displayed Converting (throttled) with Direct Stream Audio and Video

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• jfroyjfroy Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have this problem as well.

• casperghst42casperghst42 Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here, it only started happening with the last update of both the AppleTV App and the latest Media Server....

(I love it when new features have higher priority than fixing stuff)

• jondrum418jondrum418 Posts: 23Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am experiencing the same issue, same up-to-date as of current PMS and ATV apps

• paul.vaneyck@gmail.compaul.vaneyck@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having the same problems, anyone know of a solution yet?

• VandakterVandakter Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Exactly the same issue for me.

• Malcolm ClarkMalcolm Clark Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

And in the hope that it will make someone at Plex do something. Yes, me too. But only after the latest updates.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,395Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

I've raised the issue internally; however, it would be super helpful if you could provide further details when you "me too" the issue, since it's not trivially reproducible.

• Media information for the video (e.g. view details in web app and paste XML)
    • Server logs, indicating the time at which the issue occurred.

That data will go a long way towards helping us track down the issue.

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• mouse82mouse82 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 6

Im having the very same issue. Hopefully this gets resoveled. Ive already installed Emby just becuase of this. Attched is the media log and xml of media info. I would say the issue happed around 15:21:17.034.

• jayz78jayz78 Posts: 192Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi @elan ,
    Thanks for looking into this. I've had this happen on numerous occasions and I can reproduce it reliably 100%. Before I post the XML and server log below, here are some interesting things I noticed as well:

-the problem always occurs towards the end of shows (last few minutes)
    -This issue seems to occur mostly (only?) when the "Automatically adjust Quality” video setting is ON in the Plex Apple TV settings. If I turn that off, the exact same episode that seems to exhibit the issue works fine. I can 100% reproduce the issue after turning “Automatically adjust quality” back on! The problem started some months back when this setting was first introduced.
    -If I watch the status page on the Plex server while it’s playing it goes from “Playing to “Buffering” and then “Paused” and then the episode abruptly quits back to the Plex Dashboard on the ATV.

Attached is the XML of one of the files affected . It occurs at the same spot in this episode every time (41min08sec). It's not just this file though, many different ones show the issue.

Also attached is the Plex Server logs. I fast forwarded to the part of the episode when it happens. The time that it occurs is around 07:08AM in the log.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need us all to do anything more.

• mouse82mouse82 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elen i just like jayz78 can reproduce this issue 100% of the time doing all the same steps on the AppleTV as stated above.

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 9,395Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hopefully @rcombs will have a test build for you guys to try before long.

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• ronaldwongronaldwong Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for looking into this! I’m seeing the exact issue too and I can confirm everything that jayz78 says in my scenario as well.

• streat90streat90 Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 9

I am having this issue as well, unfortunately this existed before "auto adjust quality" I just started to experience it myself and was able to reproduce it on the same episode repeatedly. Removing the "auto adjust audio" fixed it on the episode I was testing but I have a user who has been reporting this for about 5 months on most television shows, before that feature was available.

• bret7600bret7600 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex Media Server: Mid 2010 21.5 in. iMac Intel Core i3 3.07 GHz, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB.

Clients: Plex for Kodi, Apple TV 4 (Plex App & Plex for Kodi), Apple TV 3 (PlexConnect), iOS Devices, Android TV, Sony BDPS5100 via uPNP, Sonos

bret7600

• cawsllyffantcawsllyffant Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Has anyone had success w/ the build @elan posted? I'm using Ubuntu, so I can't try the builds out myself but would love to know if the end of this problem is in sight.

• GlynnRyanGlynnRyan Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said:
    Got some builds here for people to try (sorry, macOS and Windows only, for the sake of simplicity).

Would appreciate it if people could try this build and see if the issue is fixed. Thanks!

I'm installing this now to test.
    I have similar issues, with occasional times when the being played will replay about 10 seconds back, as if the device I am playing on (mostly Apple TV4 [not 4k]) drops the transcoded packets and needs to re-request them to keep playing.
    Occasionally this also results in the stream dropping / disconnecting entreaty and I need to replay the file from the beginning

Server:
    Dell Optiplex 7010
    CPU: i7-3770 | RAM: 20GB DDR3 1600Mhz | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit |
    Users: 7 (2 Local, 5 Remote) |
    Connection: 100Mbps Download / 50 Mbps Upload |
    Most Concurrent Streams: 5

Additional PMS Services:
    PlexPy | Ombi | Sonar | Radarr | Jackett

B)

• jayz78jayz78 Posts: 192Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said:
    Got some builds here for people to try (sorry, macOS and Windows only, for the sake of simplicity).

Would appreciate it if people could try this build and see if the issue is fixed. Thanks!

@elan

I have tested the MacOS version on a file that I could 100% reproduce the problem when "Auto Adjust Quality" in Apple TV 4 settings was turned on and I'm happy to report it HAS FIXED IT!! The episode no longer stutters, buffers and quits back to the dashboard in the last minute or two. I was able to finish the episode completely!

THANK YOU! This bug has existed since nearly the beginning of the year but as Plex Inc has not really been participating much in the forums as in the past we've been unable to get anyone to listen/fix it despite nearly half a dozen different threads.

Thank you for starting to frequent the forums regularly again and addressing the issues that have led many this year to start becoming jaded with Plex. Myself and many others are more than happy to do lots of bug testing for Plex but we need to feel like our bug reporting will be looked at and we're not just wasting our time. This is a great step in the right direction.

Cheers Elan!

• cawsllyffantcawsllyffant Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks @elan, I'll test today and let you know how it works.