If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

AirPlay from Plex on iOS 11 Broken

jeanlucwjeanlucw Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 20 in iOS

I updated my iPhone to iOS 11 today, and find that my offline videos in the Plex app can no longer AirPlay to the Apple TV!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing? This wasn’t happening on the Plex app in iOS 10.3.3 two days ago :(

Best Answer

Answers

• benoitlouybenoitlouy Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. I updated my iPhone to iOS 11 and I am now unable to airplay videos stored on my plex server from the phone to my Apple TV 3rd Gen.

• hrldolientehrldoliente Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Any news about this? I have the same situation as benoitguy.

• tmanto02tmanto02 Posts: 71Members ✭✭

Samesies. Imagine we’ll have to wait for an app update

Samsung series 6 51" plasma • Samsung series 6 40" LED • Pioneer VSX-521 Receiver • Mac Mini 2.5GHz i5, ATI 6630M, 16GB ram, 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD • Apple TV 2 • Drobo 5D w/ 4x 4TB WD Red

• MacKevin11MacKevin11 Posts: 1Members

Without a Plex subscription the app wont stream for longer than 1 minute. Normally (iOS 10) it was possible to stream videos for an unlimitted time, and only playing the video directly on the iOS device was limited to 1 minute. Now even streaming is limited to 1 minute. (Tested on iOS 11 on an iPhone 6).

• simonxsimonx Posts: 214Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here: iPhone6s with iOS11 trying to Airplay to an Apple TV 3 (1080p) :(

• janngobblejanngobble Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Airplay has changed in iOS11 … it’s now AirPlay2 - though the changes should only affect streaming audio to devices (ANY devices) in your home. Did you update your AppleTV 1080p to iOS11? I don’t know if AirPlay2 would affect how the Plex App streams videos.

Apple TV 3 last software update is 7.2.2, don’t think got an update with iOS11. Anyway I can airplay apps like youtube as always so it’s plex trouble...

• quackers82quackers82 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Broken for me too, Apple TV 3rd gen air playing from iPhone running iOS 11. Luckly my iPad is still on iOS 9 so that works still.

• thomashwthomashw Posts: 141Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Broken for me as well.

• Mad0106Mad0106 Posts: 3Members

I’m having the same issue. Tweeted Plex and all they do is say to post here about it.. How exactly will that help ?

• janngobblejanngobble Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    It won’t… will it @elan? It only helps when @elan notices several hundred posts on a thread here…on a weekend that they dropped a notice about a privacy policy change!
    Sorry for that. But I had to say it.
    We have been dealing with iOS and tvOS issues for months and no one has fixed them. But they DID add photos and live tv to Plex!
    I’ve been asking for “shared playlists” for EVER! But all they do is say “Suggest it in the forums!”
  • benoitlouybenoitlouy Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a plex pass so I should have all features available.
    My Apple TV is a 3rd Gen model with the latest firmware available (7.2.2)
    When I play a video on my phone and try to airplay it to the Apple TV it just displays a static frame and refuses to play further. These videos are mkv files with an ac3 5.1 sound track and a h264 video track.

Some videos play correctly the only difference in the format is that the sound track is in stereo aac.

Maybe something with the sound track?

After some test I found that I have problem only on items with AC3/DTS 5.1 Soundtrack

• gramulagramula Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here for over a week. Any estimate on a time frame for the server update?

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 523Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

If everything goes well it should be around 11th October for both client and server. Both are being tested as we speak.

• BainMacBainMac Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Good thing I didn't update all my IOS devices.

• sergiou87sergiou87 Plex for iOS Developer SpainPosts: 523Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

An update on the AppleTV 3 with videos with AC3 audio streams: it seems our fix wasn't enough. We're still working on it and will release a fix as soon as we have it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• hrldolientehrldoliente Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Arrgghhhh!! I initially got Plex to play through Airplay by mirroring my iOS device a week ago. Then Apple released 11.0.2. Now all I get is the orange circle of death! What is going on?

Hey guys! We've got a temporary fix for this issue but I need someone to test it.

If you're interested, please let me know via Private Message and I'll send you an invite to an email address of your choice.