If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Update Plexmediaserver on Raspberry Pi 3

dvboxdvbox Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am running plex media server on Raspberry Pi 3. And it works great.

I see a message on my web server page that an update is available -- Version 1.8.4.4249 An update is available. Please install manually.

I have tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade but the plex media server does not seam to upgrade.

Can you please advice me on how I can properly upgrade to the latest?

Thanks

Answers

• batesndbatesnd Posts: 75Members ✭✭

I am also running plex media server on Raspberry Pi 3. It works great.

I am having the exact same issue. I have tried combined command as mentioned by above user...and I have tried separately..

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo reboot

Nothing seems to upgrade as it should. I have never had this issue before.

• uglymagoouglymagoo Posts: 524Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@dvbox @batesnd Please give me at least 24 hours after release to prepare the package. Then you can remind me ;) Btw: please try again ;)

PMS on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : Debian repository for armhf and arm64
    Recommended transcoder settings: 1.5 Mbps 480p ultrafast background preset
    My PMS hardware: Banana Pi, RPi 2, NVIDIA Shield TV, Intel Xeon

Okay. I did as you asked, I completed the update and now my entire library is gone!!! That's really not cool! I spent a lot of time personalizing and getting that up-to-date. I altered images, posters, information and order of thousands of shows. Creating all of the MP4s took me over 6 weeks...now I have no library. I wish I had known that was going to happen after this update, I would have left it alone. Why trash the library?

@batesnd Your library is not gone ;) Please read my post about the change. Obviously, the migration script had a problem with your configuration. Just check and fix your override.conf and everything will be fine.

PMS on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 / Banana Pi / ODROID / many more : Debian repository for armhf and arm64

Forgive me (and thank you for your patience). I am new to this. I am not sure what you mean by "check and fix your override.conf"

edited September 21

@batesnd You had changed the support dir or the user of the plex media server in /etc/default/plexmediaserver. This file is not used anymore on your system. Please read this guide explaining the override.conf file. I suppose the migration scripted f***ed something up and the the settings are wrong. Your old /etc/default/plexmediaserver is still there, it was just renamed to /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev. So compare this with the override.conf and fix the settings.

Reload the new settings with sudo systemctl daemon-reload and restart plex media server afterwards with sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver and sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver.

• PoloM1PoloM1 Posts: 2Members

I am running Plex on a raspberry pi 3. Plex Version 1.8.4.4249 was running great.

I then get upgraded to the latest version of Plex (1.9.1.4272) to using:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Afterwards, the I could see plexmediaservice was running, but I was unable to connect.

Following the guide explaining the override.config, I noticed my override.config was missing the following line:
    Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/home/pi/Library/Application Support"

Once, I put that line in, restarted plexmediaservice. Plex started working again.

Hope this helps.

• kikoFHMkikoFHM Posts: 5Members

@PoloM1 said:
    I am running Plex on a raspberry pi 3. Plex Version 1.8.4.4249 was running great.

I then get upgraded to the latest version of Plex (1.9.1.4272) to using:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Afterwards, the I could see plexmediaservice was running, but I was unable to connect.

Following the guide explaining the override.config, I noticed my override.config was missing the following line:
    Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/home/pi/Library/Application Support"

Once, I put that line in, restarted plexmediaservice. Plex started working again.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
    I having the same problem... I added the line like you said and reboot the system and I still cannot access to dashboard

this is the shh output
    service plexmediaserver status
    ● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d
    └─override.conf
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-09-21 15:56:53 WEST; 12s ago
    Process: 1125 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 1129 (sh)
    CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service
    ├─1129 /bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver "/usr/l...
    └─1132 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Sep 21 15:56:53 pipplware systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.
    Sep 21 15:56:57 pipplware systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,773Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

As a point of order override.conf not override.config is what systemd has documented. Some distros may allow variations but override.conf is guaranteed to work through all versions of systemd

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

@kikoFHM said:

12 seconds is a very short time. Please wait at least 2-3 minutes to test the connection to plex. If it's then not up and running please post to contents of /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev and we will tell you what your override.conf should look like.

edited September 21

@uglymagoo said:

@kikoFHM said:

12 seconds is a very short time. Please wait at least 2-3 minutes to test the connection to plex. If it's then not up and running please post to contents of /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev and we will tell you what your override.conf should look like.

this is my plexmediaserver.prev file

# default script for Plex Media Server
    # the number of plugins that can run at the same time
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
    # ulimit -s $PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_STACK_SIZE=3000
    # where the mediaserver should store the transcodes
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_TMPDIR=/tmp
    # uncomment to set it to something else
    # PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR="${HOME}/Library/Application\ Support"
    # the user that PMS should run as, defaults to 'plex'
    # note that if you change this you might need to move
    # the Application Support directory to not lose your
    # media library
    PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=pi

and this is my override.conf

#
    # Plex Media Server - Systemd service override file
    #
    # All entries must be systemd compliant (Environrment="var=absolute_value")
    #
    [Service]
    # If you wish to change Plex's Username or Group, uncomment the field(s) below and
    # change to the correct values
    #User=new_plex_username
    #Group=new_plex_group
    User=pi
    Group=pi
    _____

Can't put the server back again after the upgrade

Moderator edit: Made code properly visible by using 'Code' paragraph formatting.

"● plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d
    └─override.conf
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2017-09-21 15:56:53 WEST; 26min ago
    Main PID: 1129 (sh)
    CGroup: /system.slice/plexmediaserver.service
    ├─1129 /bin/sh -c LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver "/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server"
    └─1132 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server

Sep 21 15:56:53 pipplware systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.
    Sep 21 15:56:57 pipplware systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.
    Sep 21 16:00:54 pipplware systemd[1]: [/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf:6] Assignment outside of section. Ignoring.
    Sep 21 16:01:07 pipplware systemd[1]: Started Plex Media Server for Linux.
    "

running over 26min and still nothing. can't get the plex dashboard with ip:32400/web/index.html
    the service is running but the page gaves me "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED"

@kikoFHM said:
    Sep 21 16:00:54 pipplware systemd[1]: [/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf:6] Assignment outside of section. Ignoring.

Please move the line "Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATIO .... " to the end of the file ;)

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 16,773Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

If I may clarify?

The [Service] directive must occur first.

While normal to specify Environment variables next, there is no set order however all override declarations must occur after the [Service] declaration statement.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

PERFECT !
    glad for your help. The server is back again. Thank you all

I apologize, I had a lot of doctor appointments (Disabled Veteran). I just got home. I am reading through the material...but super confused as to what I am supposed to do. I can't even figure out how to access the file I need to inspect to change.

@uglymagoo
    I apologize, I had a lot of doctor appointments (Disabled Veteran). I just got home. I am reading through the material, but I am super confused. Now I keep seeing this message if I try to stop my plexmediaserver...
    "Warning: Unit file of plexmediaserver.service changed on disk, 'systemctl daemon-reload' recommended.

Basically I can not seem to figure out what to do to fix the lost library. I am begging for help step by step. I am not stupid, but I don't know how to program or look this up without help. When I saw that I needed to create a directory, I typed sudo sh...not knowing what I was doing. Not sure if I changed something I shouldn't have. I am worried I will have to start completely over at this point.

I will take help from anyone at this point. Please.

@batesnd and the rest of the gang, I just pushed a new package revision to my repo with a fixed migration script. This package also makes it very easy to recover from your current problems.

1. Install the new package with apt-get
    2. move the old settings back in place: sudo mv /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev /etc/default/plexmediaserver
    3. call the migration script by hand: sudo /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/MigratePlexServerConfig.sh
    4. reload systemd and start plex: sudo systemctl daemon-reload, sudo systemctl stop plexmediaserver, sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver

@uglymagoo I just completed this, and it's still showing an empty library.