If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Weak Signal

2

Comments

  • jfpauljfpaul Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I am using 128gb micrSD adopted internal storage also - could we be on to something?

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    I brought up with the dev that several who have experienced this issue are using 128gb microSD adopted internal storage to see if there is a correlation. Thanks for reporting it.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @MDLAV8R and @jfpaul,

    This could be due to using adopted storage as engineering believes it leads to degraded performance on the Shield.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • jfpauljfpaul Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2

    I'm using SDCZ43-128G-A46 SanDisk - Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Type A Flash Drive for adopted storage on my shield. (apologies, my earlier post incorrectly stated I was using a microSD card). I was suspicious maybe the USB drive was too slow for Plex transcoding due to either limitations of the USB drive R/W speed or something else going on with the hardware writing to my adopted storage.

    On a hunch, I changed the Plex transcoding directory to a folder on my other USB hard drive attached - a WD 8TB hard drive connected to the other USB port. I am not seeing the skipping/pixelation so far...might be a possible solution? I'm recording using two tuners currently with HDHomeRun Extend and all looking good... however the Plex client crashes when you try to fast forward or rewind a live stream too fast (seems like a separate bug).

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @jfpaul thanks for your report. It does seem that adopted storage is the culprit here, causing a bottleneck.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    I've updated our support article: Limitations When Running Plex Media Server on NVIDIA SHIELD. There is now a note in the Expanding Internal Storage section.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • jfpauljfpaul Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @kinoCharlino said:
    I've updated our support article: Limitations When Running Plex Media Server on NVIDIA SHIELD. There is now a note in the Expanding Internal Storage section.

    You may want to note that changing the transcoding folder to a faster attached drive (such as the USB 3.0 hard drive like I did) may help - think that's important here.

  • MDLAV8RMDLAV8R Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Update on my issue: I was able to mount my antenna up another 15 ft and get a clear line of sight to my local stations. No stuttering or pixelation in Plex anymore and it’s been several hours where before I couldn’t get past a few minutes. I hope I didn’t throw a red herring into the discussion with my mention of 128gb sd card adopted storage.

    Still, before the better antenna position - Plex live tv through the HDHR was hiccuping badly and the HDHR app (iOS) was not at all. From my non-expert user perspective, the appearance is that my installation of Plex live tv was negatively impacted by my previous apparently poor antenna position when other methods of watching the same signal (HDHR directly thru HDHR app, via Channel Master DVR+, and via Terk tv tuner) were not. I guess that doesn’t rule out the adopted storage being a factor with Plex. But at this point I’m good to go even with that in place. Hopefully this info will help you guys. Plex is such a great platform.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @jfpaul said:

    @kinoCharlino said:
    I've updated our support article: Limitations When Running Plex Media Server on NVIDIA SHIELD. There is now a note in the Expanding Internal Storage section.

    You may want to note that changing the transcoding folder to a faster attached drive (such as the USB 3.0 hard drive like I did) may help - think that's important here.

    @jfpaul Thanks for that! Just updated the article with it.

    @MDLAV8R thanks for the update. It's very possible there is more than one cause to the "weak signal" warning," especially since the wording is rather generic. Glad to learn you are seeing improvement.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @MDLAV8R I just spoke with the PM for DVR regarding your experience and the reason why the weak signal issue was resolved by raising your antenna by 15 ft. (possibly reducing interference) is that Plex DVR requires a higher signal-to-noise ratio (stronger signal) than the HdHomeRun app. The HDHomeRun is basically a "conduit" that sends the transport stream to the player untouched. Plex has to analyze and segment the file (for server/client sharing) and as a result, Plex is more sensitive to signal degradation.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    I think these issues are related. I posted about my experience and testing in this thread.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • MDLAV8RMDLAV8R Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Thanks, kino. I read the thread you posted and it makes sense. I’m still having an issue with one station so I’ll look into trying to get the antenna aimed better. I will probably switch back to DVR+ for daily duty until I can play around and/or there’s any optimization magic you bake into the code. Thanks again.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @MDLAV8R said:
    Thanks, kino. I read the thread you posted and it makes sense. I’m still having an issue with one station so I’ll look into trying to get the antenna aimed better. I will probably switch back to DVR+ for daily duty until I can play around and/or there’s any optimization magic you bake into the code. Thanks again.

    I'm not a software engineer, so I too hope for magic ;) We have engineers looking at this, taking feedback from my tests (as well as others) and also from user in the forum. We've got an internal issue filed and hope to crush this.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • cayarscayars Posts: 4,038Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @kinoCharlino said:
    @MDLAV8R I just spoke with the PM for DVR regarding your experience and the reason why the weak signal issue was resolved by raising your antenna by 15 ft. (possibly reducing interference) is that Plex DVR requires a higher signal-to-noise ratio (stronger signal) than the HdHomeRun app. The HDHomeRun is basically a "conduit" that sends the transport stream to the player untouched. Plex has to analyze and segment the file (for server/client sharing) and as a result, Plex is more sensitive to signal degradation.

    Can you tell us what type of signal-to-noise ratio we should be getting or what is expected for good results?

    10K+ Movies, 395 Shows - 33K+ TV Episodes, 380 Christmas Movies, 405 Documentary, 290 3D Movies, 1300 NFL Games, 1280 Educational Videos, Premium Music: 215,560 Tracks, 720 GB Plex Meta-Data.
    Thread on my setup with some tips and tricks: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/131308/cayars-setup-walk-through-and-some-tips-and-tricks/p1
  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    @cayars said:
    Can you tell us what type of signal-to-noise ratio we should be getting or what is expected for good results?

    We don't have a recommended SNR. At this point its a hypothesis. There are potentially other causes, but this one is looking strong.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • AchillesAchilles Posts: 1,895Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

    @kinoCharlino Is the segmenting only for LiveTV streams or also for DVR recordings?

  • jfpauljfpaul Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 4

    More feedback on changing transcoding folder - it appears now that my external USB drive becomes unmounted by the Shield TV - shows as 0 bytes and completely crashes Plex. Plex DVR and 16GB Shield really feels like a bust so far.

  • kinoCharlinokinoCharlino CaliforniaPosts: 1,153Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited October 4

    @Achilles said:
    @kinoCharlino Is the segmenting only for LiveTV streams or also for DVR recordings?

    Segmenting is used for DVR and Live TV. My understanding of segmenting is it's needed to be done so that you can start recording, then jump in and start watching it, and be able to jump around the stream.

    @jfpaul said:
    More feedback on changing transcoding folder - it appears now that my external USB drive becomes unmounted by the Shield TV - shows as 0 bytes and completely crashes Plex. Plex DVR and 16GB Shield really feels like a bust so far.

    Sorry to hear that. Most folks we hear from using the Shield as a PMS are using SHIELD Pro. 16GB is just not enough for everything the Shield needs + PMS, unfortunately, as adoptable storage isn't something we fully support yet. The Android team, however, is aware of that shortcoming.

    Search our Knowledge Base for more help

  • bdhx2bdhx2 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I wish I knew about the adoptable storage issue earlier. I bought the Nvidia Shield 16G version and a recommended 128G USB drive solely for the Plex Live TV/DVR thinking I could save a little money. Unfortunately it seems the adoptable storage bottleneck may be my weak signal issue. My antenna is about 18 ft off the ground and I get the weak signal message even on my strongest local channel. Also I do not have any weak signal messages or freezing issues with running it through my Plex server on my PC instead of the Shield. Hopefully the bottleneck issue on the 16 G shield can somehow be resolved.

  • DavidAndAndreaDavidAndAndrea Posts: 203Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I'm getting a similar problem with Plex DVR on the Shield with the HDHomeRun Connect (OTA) tuned to UK FreeView channels.

    Plex DVR seems to abort the recording on even the tiniest amount of signal noise. When watching the HDHR using their own app (or Google Live Channels) it recovers after any signal noise. Similarly, an older dedicated FreeView DVR box (with it's onw built-in tuner) recovers just fine after any signal noise.

    There has to be a solution to this - signal noise is a fact of life for OTA transmissions. Plex DVR must be able to recover from them, or it's a complete non-starter.

2
Sign In or Register to comment.