If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Weak Signal

13»

Comments

• MDLAV8RMDLAV8R Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Update on my issue with the 1st gen 16gb shield. I replaced the 128gb class 10 transcend microsd card I was using for adopted storage with a 2TB toshiba canvio usb 3.0 drive (also formatted for adopted storage) and have seen a huge improvement in stability. Too early (only been a couple of days) to say if this solves my problem but it looks promising. My theory from reading about storage read/write speeds is that the usb 3.0 drive is faster than the microsd card. Wouldn’t have thought that but I’m certainly no expert. It seems the usb drive is closer to shield internal storage speed than the microsd card. And maybe just good enough for live tv.

Btw, kino - the 16gb shield with 128gb microsd has been rock solid since I bought it when it first came out for everything EXCEPT the new (for me) live tv and dvr features.

• bdhx2bdhx2 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I wondered if it may be the storage too. I tried an external My Passport that I had sitting around but it locked the shield up so my the external drive is too old to be supported. Keep us updated on your experience with the 2TB Toshiba, it would be nice if that resolved the issue!

• MDLAV8RMDLAV8R Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 12

Ok. As always, YMMV - but for my issue - I am pretty confident I have identified root cause. Since the Toshiba USB 3.0 drive as adopted storage was noticeably better than the microsd card - I took the next logical step of installing a faster Sandisk USB 3.0/3.1 SSD thumb drive (128gb) with rated read/write speeds of around 400/300MBps - SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1 Solid State Flash Drive - $80 on Amazon. Worst case I have a really fast thumb drive if it doesn’t help. I formatted as internal/adopted storage on the Shield and rebooted.

4 days running now and shows are recording and playing back without issue. Overall Plex client app response is also noticeably snappier when choosing a show or movie and getting to the play screen. Recording target is one of my NAS drives (as has been all along). USB stick is purely for Plex. I don’t know how much of the USB storage Plex is actually using since I’ve read that Plex metadata still has to live in the original 16gb of internal Shield storage. Nevertheless, it’s working for me.

Knowing what I know now I would buy the Shield Pro with it’s 500gb of fast internal storage for $20 more than I paid for my gen1 Shield Plus USB SSD. But if you want to risk $80 on a fast thumb drive or have one laying around it is worth a shot. Hopefully Plex will eventually allow storing its metadata outside the “real” internal storage of 16gb so I can turn preview thimbnails on.

I’ll post an update if it all goes sideways ...

• IGGUSIGGUS Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having a similar issue, when trying to stream live TV to devices. Plex installed on a Windows 7 Pro box, connecting via gigabit network to a HDHomeRun Prime. Every 10-20 seconds the remote device, for example a new Samsung Note 8, whether on local Wifi or 4G LTE, experiences the Weak Signal issue and the stream stops, and a few seconds later restarts.

Something of a disappointment as this is the primary reason I just paid for subscription with Plex for first time ever! Been enjoying the free server/streaming service of my local content for years, and felt it was time to start paying for all the developers' hard work!!

• yooshawyooshaw Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Are you transcoding at all to your Note 8? A direct stream might cause it to stutter from time to time on WIFi of Cellular, it's high bitrate. You could try to change your setting and have PMS transcode the data from your Prime to reduce the bitrate, which should make streaming better.

• cdelreycdelrey Posts: 2Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited 1:10AM

I agree, I don't think this is isolated to Shield. I have a SonyTV running AndroidTV and see issues where sometimes it's soo bad I have to reboot the TV so maybe it's related to the app but whatever it is I get Weak Signal quite often. I run HDHOMERUNPRIME-CC here are my logs if it helps, I also have two roku boxes. just waiting for the latest release that supports roku for liveTV :)

I'm almost tempted to create an isolated VLAN just for media to reduce any ethernet broadcasting that maybe spiking. It's a long shot but most my devices connected are connecting wireless though not my SONY so I'm doubtful but willing to try anything if I can isolate the issue

• IGGUSIGGUS Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@yooshaw said:
    Are you transcoding at all to your Note 8? A direct stream might cause it to stutter from time to time on WIFi of Cellular, it's high bitrate. You could try to change your setting and have PMS transcode the data from your Prime to reduce the bitrate, which should make streaming better.

Anywhere I've seen a transcode setting I've enabled. Can you specify where you think I'd need to have this set so I can confirm 100%. For example, when looking at PMS settings in browser, click Server in top right, Live TV and DVR on bottom of left pane, the the gear icon next to my "HDHomeRun PRIME" DVR listed, I have the "CONVERT VIDEO WHILE RECORDING" dropdown set to Transcode. As I read it though I understand this as being specific to recorded shows to my server's HDD, rather than live stream to remote client.

13»