If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Disabling library scan & other notification while playing media

bjrnbjrn Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I am getting small notification popups inside the player when viewing TV or movies when a library scan starts, or another user starts playing a video. This seems to be related to the latest update of Plex Media Player.

I have no interest in knowing about library scans or the actions of other users on my server while I'm watching something. And I can't really imagine a situation in which I would need to know anything like that while I'm watching something.

But, I can't find a setting anywhere to disable it. Is there a way?
To be clear, these are in-appliation notifications, nothing to do with the Windows notification system.

Answers

• Giovanotto BolsiniGiovanotto Bolsini Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi folks, thank you for pushing this new release out, however I agree w bjrn, I don't see the need for this feature, it is just annoying, not sure how well thought it is. in fact I think it serves no purpose, it is distracting for the viewers, and it shows on top of subtitles, which means that it is not just distracting, it is disrupting. You can go ahead and put a setting to disable it, but frankly I don't see why someone would want this feature enabled, so at least it should be disabled by default. Are bjrn and I the only ones that want this?

• bjrnbjrn Posts: 4Members ✭✭

So... I see my initial post might come across as a bit snarky. I want to emphasize that I am very thankful for all the hard work that's been put into the PMP. But also, I'd like to be able to turn off these notifications.

• DaveBinMDaveBinM Posts: 1,250Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

This has been noted, and filed internally with Plex. :smile:

Server: Late 2014 Mac Mini [3.0Ghz i7-4578U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD]
    Storage: Synology DS1815+ [HGST DeskStar 3TB x 4, HGST DeskStar 6TB x 2 and HGST DeskStar 8TB x 2]
    Clients: PMP (Mac & Windows). iPhone. iPad. PS4. Android. Android TV. Web.

Help: Support | PMS Logs | PMP Logs | iOS Logs | Media XML

• burtholdburthold Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm in total agreement. Very distracting. I honestly think this release is a step back for the player. The control bar pop up and auto hide is real hit and miss as well.

• TreeManTreeMan Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

agreed, the player is no place to be notified of server activity.

• Masterditto3Masterditto3 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 7

Wish the control bar would instant hide itself when you unpause a video. Takes too long to hide self means some subtitles is missed.

And I'm also very annoyed but the problem bjrn mentioned.

All in all nice design and good work as always!, but kinda step backwards there.

• nlovlynnlovlyn Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree with the comments here. It is wonderful to see the new UI in PMP! But, the library notifications over videos is distracting to the point that I reverted to the previous version. In previous versions the notifications only appeared when viewing the library/other menus. Now it shows up over the top of everything including subtitles. Please revert the notification to the previous configuration or allow the user to disable notifications.