If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Encoded H.265 and H.265 Video Will Not Play On Apple TV 4K

ebhebertebhebert Posts: 8Members ✭✭

I am trying to set up my NAS to work with my Apple TV 4K and I have encoded many videos as MP4's and encoded them in the H.264 and H.265. I have them in what I am guessing is the right format for Plex as I can watch them all through the web version of Plex. When I open the Plex app on the ATV 4K I see all of the media there, but when I try to watch anything bigger than 1GB after a few moments of "working" and error appears stating that "Playback has been terminated by the server, not enough space for the conversion." I am wondering if I am doing something wrong as these files should already be formatted and encoded to just play directly from the media server. I have tested the videos with VLC on the ATV 4K and they play almost instantly without any issue.

I know that the ATV 4K only came out this week and the information or app even might not be updated, but I have never used Plex before with an Apple TV, so I don't know if I am doing something wrong in the formatting, settings or something of that nature. I have checked on the capability of my NAS (Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra) and the processor does not do transcoding, only remuxing, which I admit I am not familiar with. I followed the Plex help about remuxing, but even then the file did not work. All this makes me wonder if I am just not setting things up correctly. I can understand that in previous versions of the ATV there were issues with encoding in H.265 and Plex had to transcode them to H.264, but the files are already in that format.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• darciliciousdarcilicious Posts: 820Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm not expert in this area but this thread might be helpful to you: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/283275/is-hevc-already-in-the-apple-tv-4-profile

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 939Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Did you review this that shows what format 4k needs to be in?

This is for 4K and I see not special notes on the bottom of that page so can you confirm this is the format of your video?
    Sounds like that is the case since you can play in web but can you confirm?

You can view these specifics under each items info:
    This is obviously not a 4K item but you can confirm if it matches the format needed.

• ebhebertebhebert Posts: 8Members ✭✭

@nokdim said:
    Did you review this that shows what format 4k needs to be in?

This is for 4K and I see not special notes on the bottom of that page so can you confirm this is the format of your video?
    Sounds like that is the case since you can play in web but can you confirm?

You can view these specifics under each items info:
    This is obviously not a 4K item but you can confirm if it matches the format needed.

Thank you for the information. I'm not doing any video in 4K the most at the moment is normal 1080p. Below is a screenshot of what a typical file is for me. I've been using Handbrake to encode these with a super high quality preset, so I see that my bitrate is way higher than the one you have here, that could be a reason as well. I might have to attempt to make a test file at a lower bitrate. Any thoughts with the information provided here?

• nokdimnokdim Posts: 939Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, TunerTester Plex Ninja

Sorry I was confused by the post title with 4K my bad...

that same link has info on 1080p as well:
    It makes no mention of bitrate so that does not look like an issue.

Audio can also cause the conversion so that might be your issue.

You can check this post to get an exact reason on why the transcoding is taking place.

• Lappen71Lappen71 Posts: 166Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Plex is not updated yet to handle x265

• shonshon Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

I'm having the same issue with the new Apple TV 4K. Plex can handle x265 videos in 1080p and 4K in mp4 and mkv containers. The link previous provided by nokdim was for Smart TV's. I also have a Nvidia Shield TV, Roku 4 and Sony A1E (Android TV). All three of them "direct play" x265 videos without an issue. The Sony tv buffers a little on 4k files but I believe it's due to the TV's processing power.

Looking at other posts, there needs to be a different profile for the Apple TV 4K. Similiar to the Roku's and Sony TV's. The have separate profiles for there different devices. The Apple TV 4K using the same profile for the older Apple TV that doesn't support x265.

• partizan76partizan76 Posts: 164Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So, we need to wait an update for 4k support. As i see profiles for tvOS there nothing point to support h265 and HEVC.

• partizan76partizan76 Posts: 164Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

One trick. Here - http://ultrahd.su/video/kak-video-4k-smotret-apple-tv-5.html (just use google translate) you can convert files so your Apple TV 4k be able to play them.

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Anyone from plex team officially commented on this major flaw in the plex app on apple tv 4k ???

• janngobblejanngobble Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Well, at least we have an answer @Gregflix!
    So next Q is any IDEA when? (days/weeks/months?)

• dreamer81dreamer81 Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Gregflix thanks a lot for the fast answer.

• shonshon Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Gregflix said:
    This one is on our radar.

The reason this is slightly tricky is because Apple changed HTTP Live Streaming formats for HEVC (H.265). In order to Direct Stream any HEVC content, Plex Media Server needs to change from using MPEG-TS to fragmented MP4 streaming.

By changing profiles, it's possible to support Direct Play of HEVC in MP4 files (only). To support it fully, you'll need to wait for an upcoming update to Plex Media Server.

@Gregflix Thanks for the quick response. Glad to know it's being looked into.

• ebhebertebhebert Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Thank you all for your help. I was able to get this working by encoding it to the DirectPlay specifications and hardwiring the Apple TV to my router.

• fordfocushsfordfocushs Posts: 58Members ✭✭

Waiting for this Plex update to get this Apple TV 4K :D Hopefully it will come soon ^^

• dafzthomasdafzthomas Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Also looking forward to this, as for some reason when it's converting HEVC to play on Apple TV 4k, it buffers all the while network activity drops to almost nothing. Seems to be a bug instead of it being unable play.

• PatsGator12PatsGator12 Posts: 7Members ✭✭

@Gregflix said:
    This one is on our radar.

The reason this is slightly tricky is because Apple changed HTTP Live Streaming formats for HEVC (H.265). In order to Direct Stream any HEVC content, Plex Media Server needs to change from using MPEG-TS to fragmented MP4 streaming.

By changing profiles, it's possible to support Direct Play of HEVC in MP4 files (only). To support it fully, you'll need to wait for an upcoming update to Plex Media Server.

Hey Greg, it's been almost 2 months now. When are we going to get an update on this?

• kianrafieekianrafiee Posts: 19Members ✭✭

Any updates?

• tstraus13tstraus13 Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

Any updates? I don't have many 4K HEVC MKV files but it is annoying that my Apple TV 4K is unable to play them, without transcoding, when it should be. Hopefully they get the direct streaming functionality working soon! Thanks.

• plexonomyplexonomy Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Adding my voice to others who are frustrated at the lack of support for HEVC on the Apple TV 4K. Hoping an update is in the works.