If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex losing subtitle while playing

guuilpguuilp Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

Since Plex last update (1.9.1.4272), the subtitle disappears after 1~2 minutes playing the video. This happens to me with downloaded subtitle or subtitle got by Opensubtitle native plugin on Plex.

I think it's not hardware issue:
i5 7500
16GB ram DDR4 2400MHz
HDD 1TB 7200RPM (with 150gb free)

Answers

• OrgizOrgiz Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • NebulaNebula Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

if you choose to Always burn subtitles it works, but that means you can't can't direct stream and always transcode. In Automatic subtitle mode, the subtitles are showing and going randomly, starting with version 1.9.1

• gamjargamjar Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm having this problem, changing to always didn't work for me. Subtitles still disappear when skipping ahead or backward.

• chubby.chan@gmail.comchubby.chan@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue as well with the current latest update (1.9.4272).

• koldKatkoldKat Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 from me, same issue.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 26,360Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Is anyone of you using the 'Automatically adjust quality (Beta)' feature in Plex Web?
    (Settings - Web - Quality)

Please compare the results with that preference on and off.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • tonicboytonicboy Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, I'm also having this problem and more as well. The server seems to be auto-downloading subtitles (I have not set up auto-downloading) and they're completely wrong - on one episode of 13 Reasons Why, I got subtitles for Game of Thrones. It's also downloading subtitles in Indonesian sometimes - I live in Indonesia so it may be detecting my region, but I don't download Indonesian subtitles. All of this has started very recently. Before that everything was working fine. Also, it must be downloading these subtitles on-the-fly as there are no downloaded files in the media folders.

• tonicboytonicboy Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:
    Is anyone of you using the 'Automatically adjust quality (Beta)' feature in Plex Web?

I've never turned that on and just confirmed that it is not selected.

@OttoKerner said:

'Automatically adjust quality (Beta)' feature isn't selected.

• guuilpguuilp Posts: 5Members Plex Pass

@OttoKerner said:

This option is disabled in my PMS.

• bengeorgebengeorge Posts: 22Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee

Thanks for clarifying it is not when Automatically adjust quality (Beta), that helps a lot!

Are any of those with this issue able to reproduce this every time, or is it an occasional issue ?

Once the subtitles stop playing, if you seek to a new position in the playback, does that fix the issue ?

• kurigamikurigami Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

I'm having the same issue. Seeking a new position does not make a difference for me. The only thing that brings them back that I've found is changing the subtitle (for example, going from English SRT to Forced English SRT). This however is only a temporary fix as the issue comes right back a min or two later.

• raulsuhaniraulsuhani Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I noticed on my side that this happens only when i "Resume" an episode.
    However, instead of "Resume" i tried starting from the beginning (when the Resume/Start menu pops up) and the subtitles is displayed correctly during the entire episode...
    So on my side the issue with the subtitle is only when using "Resume"...Hope that helps someone.

@bengeorge said:
    Thanks for clarifying it is not when Automatically adjust quality (Beta), that helps a lot!

Are any of those with this issue able to reproduce this every time, or is it an occasional issue ?

Once the subtitles stop playing, if you seek to a new position in the playback, does that fix the issue ?

I can reproduce it every time, it occurs with certain videos, while other always are playing with subs - no issues at all.

• tmitch554tmitch554 Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having this happen since the last update as well. "Automatically adjust quality (Beta)" is off, and seeking forward or back does not fix the issue. Stopping and resuming playback brings them back for a minute or two, and then they disappear again.

• ArmaziLLaArmaziLLa Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having exact same issue as described by tmitch554 and others in this thread.

ArmaziLLa

• thisisevilevilthisisevilevil Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Happens on Plex for Apple, Android and Plex Web. Only started after a recent server update a few weeks ago.

The issue does not occur for some movies. Googling this issue, it can be tracked way back to early plex days, so it seems to be a somewhat recurring issue. Looking through those early forum threads, I think it has got to do with the way the subs is formatted

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/88168/subs-disappear-half-way-trough
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/323/subtitles-disappear

• MarmatokMarmatok Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

+1 same issue.

• 1000B71000B7 Posts: 4Members ✭✭

same issue with 1.9.2.4285 the subtitles dissapearing only when resuming a movie but not all movies.
    when returning to where left(the main movie page) and start playing again it comes back for 30-40 secs then dissapear .
    i confirm that all my 10000+ movies are utf8 subtitles formatted and with the right extension .in my case xxx.ro.srt.
    the option Automatically adjust quality is gone in this version.
    what plex did a few weeks ago it has just updated to this new versions by itself!!!why!!! i want to keep the server as it is if it is working!!
    and another issue is when i am playing 4 k movies locally it is buffering like hell! if i am wathing outside of my local network it is working perfect.i am conected to a cat7 sftp network .i play the movies just fine in dlna mode but not from plex server,wich is not so nice.

• Razor_alphaRazor_alpha Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Same issue, since the last server update, no auto adjust quality enabled, happens to both english and foreign subtitles for the same video file, changing back and forth (or on and off) brings them back for 10-30 seconds then they disappear again. It looks like it is really triggered by resuming / continuing to watch or jumping in an episode, if none of the above happens, most of the time I'm able to watch it fine. Subtitle and its format is flawless, it happens to subtitles I was able to use in the past without any trouble.