If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Seeing stutters / picture freezing on playback when plex DVR on same Shield is recording.

rouqrouq Posts: 429Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited September 2017 in NVIDIA SHIELD

pms 1.9.1 running on nvidia shield pro, video clients running on the same Shield. (using the Shield as a server and a client at the same time)

Recordings are saved to a NAS. Tuner is a HDhomerun connect. Everthing is ethernet wired (gigabit).

When plex DVR is not recording, I can playback from any services (youtube, amazon video, plex, etc.) without any major stutters / micro freezes. However, when plex DVR is recording, playback on any services has stutters / micro freezes. The feelings is exactly like the processor is too busy elsewhere and cannot keep up with playback. It's not constant, it happens by burst.

There is no logs that I can really show because there is no error.

I'm just wondering if there are other users seeing this problem.

Comments

• stuartf1stuartf1 Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    I'm seeing similar when there's any optimisation tasks happening, even when
    the only live client is ShieldTV
  • SkutterbobSkutterbob Posts: 130Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did this happen before the update? I have only have had a shield for a few days and went from 1.4 (installed by default) to 1.9.1 - now 1.9.2

• rouqrouq Posts: 429Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

No, I see this since I started using the dvr arround version 1.7.2

• ookeesookees Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 7

Im having issues with the recordings themselves stuttering during playback.

• rouqrouq Posts: 429Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ookees

I never found a solution. Since then, I acquired a Synology DS418play. So I moved plexDVR on the NAS. I don't use the Shield to record anymore, still use pms on shield though since the transcoding capability is better than the NAS. So that kind of fix this issue. But it's never perfect. Since Plex doesn't support mpeg2 hardware acceleration decoding yet, then the NAS is not capable to do a livetv transcoding session. Not a big deal, but still.