If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Web App doesn't play in 5.1

12socks5dollars12socks5dollars Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

All running locally on Win10. Local files, local PMS, local TV/Soundbar via HDMI.

• MKV via VLC = 5.1
  • MKV via Plex Win.10 App (HATE IT) = 5.1
  • MKV via Plex Media Server's Web App = 2.0

Have I done something wrong? I've been on Plex Media Server for ~6 years, as long as I can remember anyway. And I'd swear I got full surround sound in the past without fighting it. I recently switched my wiring to go through my SoundBar first, then TV so Win10 gives me proper DTS/Dolby support. But now Plex Web App is only stereo.

Anyone else face this and know how to solve it? The 'Plex App' on Win10 is ok, but it lacks way too many of the features I desire from the full web interface.

Thanks.

Answers

• chrishoagechrishoage Posts: 134Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

5.1 in web browsers is not very well supported.

Plex Media Player has both TV and Desktop options to use the app and can play 5.1 no problem.

• 12socks5dollars12socks5dollars Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So the problem is the web-browser? Seems like a problem from 2005. ;). So people that use NetFlix / etc. from a laptop on HDMI are dealing with 2.0 channel then. I find that hard to believe. I'll check that next. --thanks

found a Chrome tweak to allow 5.1 channel support, but sadly it seems to not work either. I guess I'm stuck with the Win.10 App for now. :( .. thanks.
    https://superuser.com/questions/820845/how-to-get-5-1-audio-in-google-chrome

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,184Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@12socks5dollars said:
    found a Chrome tweak to allow 5.1 channel support, but sadly it seems to not work either. I guess I'm stuck with the Win.10 App for now. :( .. thanks.

Try Plex Media Player (no, this is not the Windows 10 app from the Microsoft app store)
    It is the best option if you want surround sound, particularly when you want it 'bitstreaming' to your AVR.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Looks to be the same as the Win10 app, but I'll give it a try, thanks.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 25,184Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

@12socks5dollars said:
    Looks to be the same as the Win10 app, but I'll give it a try, thanks.

I think we have some differences in terminology ;)
    The "Win 10 app" is for me the app, which you can get in the Microsoft App store.
    It is called "Plex for Windows" officially.
    This is definitely not the same app as "Plex Media Player".

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging