If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Happy Anniversary Plex Roku Channel 4.4.3

bobketchambobketcham Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happy Anniversary Plex Roku Channel 4.4.3 Wow, hard to believe it's been four months since the Plex development team last showed you any love. Must be great having no bugs, no issues.

Here's looking forward to October 5. Just 10 days from now we celebrate the six month anniversary of 4.4.1... the last time the Roku Channel got any new functionality. Man, we've sure had some fun since then, Live TV, DVR scheduling. No, wait, that was with some other girl... darn.

Bob Ketcham

Plex Server: Usually running the latest Plex Pass version on Mac Mini (2012) OSX 10.12
Plex DVR: Using HDHomeRun Extend.
Plex Players: Usually running the latest Plex Pass versions on Mac, Roku, iPhone 6, iPad, LGTV and DLNA Players.
Harmony Hubs and two Echo Dots (Alexa): Control TVs, Rokus Plex Players and other components.
Tablo DVR: integrated with Plex for both DVR and Live TV using the TabloTV Channel.
Live TV: HDHomeRun access via Plex unsupported app store HDHR Viewer 2 channel.
Patiently waiting for DVR scheduling to come to the Roku Channel.

Comments

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,437Members ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

• bobketchambobketcham Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@JuiceWSA said:
    Be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

Tony, you may be right. If they implement that horrid interface they put in the latest computer versions of the Plex Media Player, I won't be happy and I'm pretty sure mama won't be happy. And if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Bob Ketcham

Plex Server: Usually running the latest Plex Pass version on Mac Mini (2012) OSX 10.12
    Plex Players: Usually running the latest Plex Pass versions on Mac, Roku, iPhone 6, iPad, LGTV and DLNA Players.
    Harmony Hubs and two Echo Dots (Alexa): Control TVs, Rokus Plex Players and other components.
    Tablo DVR: integrated with Plex for both DVR and Live TV using the TabloTV Channel.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,631Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Xbox app will soon celebrate its first birthday without an update...I didnt realise the Roku app was as bad as the windows store app for updates..

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,365Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@WilhelmStroker said:
    The Xbox app will soon celebrate its first birthday without an update...I didnt realise the Roku app was as bad as the windows store app for updates..

Plex hired the developer of RARflix, a wonderful app for its time, and he, mostly developed the current Roku Plex channel.He was also quite responsive to users and even implemented a few features that the other clients only dreamed about. (Or did not dream about because their developers lacked the ability and/or imagination)

Several months ago he virtually disappeared from these boards and any interaction with the users. That also is when the app ceased to be updated or mostly even fixed.
    I figure one or more of the following happened:
    He was ordered to SHUT UP by the Plex powers.
    He is working too hard on the new Roku app to interact about the old one.
    He has had something happen in his life that takes all his time.
    He was fired by Plex and is under a gag order.
    He quit Plex and is under a gag order.
    He has just lost interest.
    He is being forced/allowed to help the other developers of other clients.
    He is just tired of the Plex users.
    Something I have not thought of or did not seem plausible enough.

I do not really know what has happened but whatever has happened his disappearance is just one more reason Emby is now my media system of choice.

Plex has lost me! I am moving all my local media consumption to Emby. There are things about Plex that are better than Emby but Plex has begun misleading their customers and even telling their users bald faced lies and that is unacceptable so I no longer use Plex for any media consumption.
    I will NOT be lied to by a company I have any choice about using.
    It has been a good ride but I now feel that I am the one being ridden.
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

• DFuryDFury Posts: 220Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It was recently confirmed that ljunkie is still with Plex, and is working on the Roku client along with a "few other" devs. It's pretty clear that they've been working on a major re-write to correspond with the intro of live-TV. The "news" feature on the recently released official channel has a UI that is a pretty large departure from the rest of the current Roku client. My assessment is that the v5 release was simply to ready Roku for the "news" feature roll-out...and that when the full-up re-write is released, the rest of the channel will closely resemble the "news" feed.

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Search our Knowledge Base for more help

• kinoCharlinokinoCharlino Posts: 1,186Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@DFury said:
    It was recently confirmed that ljunkie is still with Plex, and is working on the Roku client along with a "few other" devs. It's pretty clear that they've been working on a major re-write to correspond with the intro of live-TV. The "news" feature on the recently released official channel has a UI that is a pretty large departure from the rest of the current Roku client.

Yep, you got it. Major rewrite. More info in that update and also in Roku's blog post, which I linked to in the update.

• WilhelmStrokerWilhelmStroker Posts: 1,631Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

That is a great update, will there be a similar update for the windows and Xbox apps that also haven't seen many updates recently?

Thank you for the clear explanation of the reasons for the delays.

Please, please, please the next time you do a Roku update, don't neglect to update the Roku Preview Channel. As a PlexPass Plex customer, that has been my primary Plex channel for months. I had to switch all my players to the standard channel in order to get the update. Ditto, switching and updating Alexa and Harmony to start the right version. If you guys simply did what you have indicated you were going to do in the past, your best users wouldn't have to jump though these hoops.

Bob Ketcham

For what it's worth. News in Plex, particularly for the limited sources you have, is of little value to me. Live TV and DVR scheduling in the Roku client have far more value. With this release, you seem to have placed more priority on your owners' priorities than your customers'. That's a shame.

Bob Ketcham

@WilhelmStroker said:
    That is a great update, will there be a similar update for the windows and Xbox apps that also haven't seen many updates recently?

Both are on my to-do list, hoping to get something soon. Those are a tiny bit trickier.

@bobketcham said:
    For what it's worth. News in Plex, particularly for the limited sources you have, is of little value to me. Live TV and DVR scheduling in the Roku client have far more value. With this release, you seem to have placed more priority on your owners' priorities than your customers'. That's a shame.

Thanks for the feedback. I've passed it along to the Roku devs.

@bobketcham said:

I wouldn't say that's true. Its the case of having one feature completed before the other, and not wanting to delay the feature first completed.

@kinoCharlino said:
    Yep, you got it. Major rewrite. More info in that update and also in Roku's blog post, which I linked to in the update.

Saw the release announcement for LiveTV in the Roku. Fired up the Roku and found my Preview Channel has already updated to release 5.0.4. Very nicely done. A simple interface. Nice mini channel browser available while watching allows something like channel surfing. That's often missing from multi-channel interfaces (Playstation Vue for example). And the recently released hardware transcoding is keeping my CPU use at a nice low level. Cool!

I look forward to being able to schedule DVR recordings as well. Plex is really looking like a complete media solution.

Bob Ketcham

@bobketcham said:
    I look forward to being able to schedule DVR recordings as well. Plex is really looking like a complete media solution.

Coming next to Roku!