Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMP Embedded on Intel NUC6CAYH colour washed-up - grey not black

RooDBwoYRooDBwoY Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Folks,

I've been using Plex Embedded on an old HP USDT 800 G1 machine for a while now and it's perfect but given that the machine is still a little bulky and has too much fan noise for a living room setup, I did my research and found that the above Intel NUC will work nicely for full 4K resolution videos using DirectPlay. Bonus! Plus it fully supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio passthrough to my amp. Bonus, again!

I currently only have a 1080p display so I'm not bothered about 4K yet but noticed that while PMP Embedded works perfectly on this new Intel NUC, the blacks are all washed out (very grey-looking) and it's the whole interface, not just on video playback, right from when the OS runs its startup. BIOS screen is fine, properly black background. Obviously the black bars on 2.45:1 material highlight have crap it looks but it does affect the whole experience. This does not happen on the old PC and they're both running the same (Latest reliable) build of Embedded. I'm using the same HDMI input on my amp and the HDMI socket on the TV has not changed. It's a 9th generation Pioneer Kuro so I'm more than familiar with how blacks should look and this is not right! BluRay, Raspberry Pi, AppleTV4, Switch, Wii U and original HP 800 G1 still look perfect and have proper blacks.

Anyone experienced this with the Intel NUC ranges? I have had a search and can see some people have noticed weird colour effects when playing in zoom mode, but I always watch everything in the proper aspect ratio.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

James.

Tagged:

Answers

• SabbelbackeSabbelbacke Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2 Plex Pass

I just set up an Intel NUC6CAYH wit PMP Embedded and found a similar Problem. Switching on a HMDI Switch from a Fire TV runninv Plex to the NUC, it seems everything is more darker than it should be. It´s an old Phillipps 1080i capable TV, but all other devices produce normal colours..
    Don´t have a solution now, just starting to look for one. I have to get a remote running as well- But so far I really like the small NUC as a PMP Box, so far it plays everything I throw at it instantly...

I guess the colour issue could be ralated to colour space settings in Libre Elec...

• RooDBwoYRooDBwoY Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Yeah, it’s annoying. It’s a great little device but wish I could get the colour sorted. HD audio doesn’t pass through either yet.

• MrTom2MrTom2 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

Sounds like you might need to adjust color space. Check out this great explanation..
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/197604/tutorial-video-levels-and-color-spaces-demystified-obtaining-the-best-picture-quality/p1

• RooDBwoYRooDBwoY Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

Ah yeah, I’d read that over and over previously but dunno why it’s only on the NUC that this happens. Can’t remember whether I tried any changes. Any other machine works fine, as do the Raspberry Pi and Odroid C2 devices I’ve got kicking about. Must be something to do with that DisplayPort to HDMI conversion device in the NUCs, old Linux kernel and poor firmware.

Weird thing is, using a generic HP desktop machine (big standard Intel onboard GFX) with DisplayPort output and a standard HDMI to DisplayPort cable, the settings are perfect out of the box when connected into the HDMI setup.