If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I Disable This?

Wag3Wag3 Posts: 237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I want to be able to turn off this feature completely on my server. Please allow me to do so.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 14.04 VirtualBox VM, i7 4470k @3.8GHz, 8GB RAM

Storage: 32TB ZFS Raid

Mobile Client: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, TF101, TF201

Other Clients: Multiple Chromecasts

Tagged:

Answers

• cyc66cyc66 Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Came here to ask the same thing. I noticed it on my AppleTV app a few days ago and I couldn't find any place to disable it.

• AeroR1AeroR1 Posts: 107Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
  • MrAngelusMrAngelus Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

came to ask the same thing..I guess the answers No... well hopefully they will make the tab on Roku optional sometime

My Currant usenet provider http://www.supernews.com/?i=YRejE17dQbI=

• cyc66cyc66 Posts: 79Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hopefully this generates as much outrage as the analytics does.

• EricbazingaEricbazinga Posts: 86Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 26

You can't turn it off completely, but you can keep it from showing up on your dashboard: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002280254-Frequently-Asked-Questions-News

@Plex said:
    Can I remove News from showing up at all?
    Currently in the news settings you can toggle on or off promoting My Newscast to the Plex home screen. The News navigation item currently cannot be removed but we are working toward even more granular control for users in future releases.

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 9,913Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

It cannot be disabled at this time. We hope to haev more granular control of disabling other things besides this at some point but can't make any promises about an ETA

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • krpankrpan Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Bufis Family said:
    You can't turn it off completely, but you can keep it from showing up on your dashboard: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002280254-Frequently-Asked-Questions-News

@Plex said:
    Can I remove News from showing up at all?
    Currently in the news settings you can toggle on or off promoting My Newscast to the Plex home screen. The News navigation item currently cannot be removed but we are working toward even more granular control for users in future releases.

Err where exactly is this mythical setting to disable it from showing up on dashboard? I for one could not find it on either Android or Android TV app.

Bottom line, Plex team really screwed this up... ability to disable an unwanted and unrequested "feature" should have been their top priority!

I know dozens of Plex users and nobody uses it for anything but video watching. It is as if though Plex developers are unaware of their users' priorities. A sad day indeed.

• MonstroMonstro Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I just spent a week consolidating my libraries to only 6 so I wouldn't have to scroll down to reach Channels, and you ruined it. Why are you punishing me?

• flamebirdflamebird Posts: 111Members ✭✭✭

@BigWheel said:
    It cannot be disabled at this time. We hope to haev more granular control of disabling other things besides this at some point but can't make any promises about an ETA

What in the name of all that's unholy does "more granular control" mean and why will it only be for "other things"?
    So much for Plex offers no media, you have to provide it yourself. Now it's "Shut up and enjoy whatever we shove onto your private server" . . . >:)

• wheatismwheatism Posts: 83Members ✭✭✭
    edited September 27

Please "upvote" my feature request. I, and many others agree this is nonsense and we need to let Plex know.

Sadly the only way we have to let Plex know what we want is via feature requests:

Feature Request: Disable "News" from the dashboard

• counterfitcounterfit Posts: 81Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@flamebird said:
    So much for Plex offers no media, you have to provide it yourself. Now it's "Shut up and enjoy whatever we shove onto your private server" . . . >:)

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/115002280254-Frequently-Asked-Questions-News
    News never touches your server.

• katzkatz Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:

LOL so you spend big bucks acquiring rubbish news companies and spend loads building this.......but don’t build the ability to disable it. THEN tell everyone there’s no ETA. Make me ask the question, what the HELL is the strategic vision for Plex. Is it to screw everyone and become bloatware that you can sell off to companies?

• bantootbantoot Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Going to sorry I asked this, but why are the posters so upset that this is news in now on Plex?

• STWallmanSTWallman Posts: 77Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Disabling it should have taken ZERO time whatsoever! I work in software development and it should've been a simple switch added to the server to turn it on/off. How the F does Plex not consider this before rolling it out?!!

• technophoriatechnophoria Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Why are features not opt-in instead of opt-out. Literally this is not a difficult thing to do. You don't call a feature unless the checkbox enables it. Pretty straightforward architecture design here done by almost every other company. The Android app has no customization and starts off with Alt-right screeds about our country not being safe as I was trying to disable it, but there's no option to customize. What is Plex pushing here?

• wheatismwheatism Posts: 83Members ✭✭✭

@bantoot said:
    Going to sorry I asked this, but why are the posters so upset that this is news in now on Plex?

And if I wanted this cr*p I could have installed it via a Channel....which is optional. I use Plex to watch MY media, on MY server...I don't want news never have, never will.

I think what irks a lot of users is that there was no thought put into this feature, it wasn't requested and what is worse, you can't turn it off....