If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I Disable This?

Answers

• thelamerthelamer Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Dear Plex,

This is not hard and you know it, if you do not add the option to disable this feature on your next client builds consider my Plex pass cancelled. I allready run emby and this combined with the video micro stuttering introduced with your new client apps is the last straw. Take a hard look at your company and stop commiting develpment resources to this stuff until you have addressed the backlog of technical debt generated by this UI overhaul.

Sincerly,

A pissed off user

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Posts: 297Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan just posted this on Reddit:

.. However, they (and all apps) will be able to turn off the top-level News item, as we realize not everyone wants to even see that word :) (tl;dr; we were hoping to lump that work into some other customization, but now the News piece might come first)

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• djumvdjumv Posts: 63Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@bantoot said:
    Going to sorry I asked this, but why are the posters so upset that this is news in now on Plex?

DVR/Live TV, Plex cloud, Plex home, hardware transcoding, workstation sync and all of the other features that they left incomplete to go chase low hanging fruit.

DJUMV - VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, CCNP R&S, CCDP, MCSE - 2013 Messaging

• PMS running as a VMWare VM on top of a 3-host redundant HA Cluster.
    • vSphere Hosts Build: 2x Xeon 10-core E5-2650-v3, 128GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD RAID 1 (hardware controller, LSI SAS), 2x Quad-Port 10Gbe NIC per host.
    • 8TB vSAN stretched cluster across 10k RPM SAS drives
    • vSAN over 8-port LBT dvSwitch
    • Cisco 4506e with supVII
    • PMS Virtual Machine: Server 2016, 8 Virtual processors, 32GB RAM.
  • thomsilbaughthomsilbaugh Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add me to the list of people that DON'T WANT NEWS ON MY PLEX !!!!!!!!!

• senteinsentein Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If Plex news stays on my server I will be canceling my subscription. If you can turn it on as a feature we should be able to turn it off. I pay my dues to you as a media server for control that you are attempting to take away. I am soon to be walking away from plex.

• CharaxCharax Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mickeldaelmans said:

.. However, they (and all apps) will be able to turn off the top-level News item, as we realize not everyone wants to even see that word :) (tl;dr; we were hoping to lump that work into some other customization, but now the News piece might come first)

Link? would be useful to have that saved somewhere.

Using Tapatalk
  • jessewmjessewm Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I agree. They state in the press release “and we think it’s more important than ever to provide balanced news coverage from a variety of trusted and reliable sources.”

Do you know what’s not balanced? The Blaze
    Do you know what’s not news? Glenn Becks opinions
    Do you know what variety means? Cuz every item in my feed is a “muted” channel, The Blaze with Glenn Beck foaming at the mouth.

Let me either remove the channel, respect the fact that I want the information muted, or let me just turn off the News feature altogether.

I’ve paid you, so even if it’s a “Plex Pass” feature to turn this bull-malarkey off, I’m down with that. I just don’t want any political/world news in plex. I don’t care if it’s left-right-or-middle, I don’t want it at all.

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Posts: 297Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Charax said:

@mickeldaelmans said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/72mcih/plex_news_update_shows_troubling_direction/dnljktm/

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 545Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mickeldaelmans said:

@Charax said:

@mickeldaelmans said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/72mcih/plex_news_update_shows_troubling_direction/dnljktm/

But make sure you expand that link and read Elan's other comments.
    If you thought buying a Plex Pass entitled you to view your own media on your own device (without an MSN type experience) then you need to get in the real world apparently cos the maths don't stack up!!

As a sucker who purchased a lifetime, I'm just glad I did the same with Emby.

HitsVille

• jimmolinarojimmolinaro Posts: 62Members ✭✭

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DISABLE IT, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• damtordamtor Posts: 43Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Please give me a way to get rid of "News" on my Roku dashboard.
    I'm very disappointed that this was forced down my throat with
    no way to say "no thank you".

• LammeN3rdLammeN3rd Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

If I want to watch **** I will turn on my cable box, if plex wants to provide plex news fine but it should be at the very least be very easy to disable for paying users!!!

• Wingless8625Wingless8625 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yeah, as soon as I saw "News" show up in my app - which pushed my music library listing off screen - it really pissed me off. And not having the ability to remove or turn off the "feature" that I didn't want in the first place just pisses me off even further! I spent 20 minutes going over the UI in my android app, and on my server looking for where to turn this useless piece of feces feature off, only to find that I wasted my time!
    I primarily use my Plex app to stream my music through my phone to my car stereo while I'm driving, and 9 times out of 10 I'm in a bit of a rush. The way I had my library's arranged on my server allowed me to easily pull up my music library without having to look at my phone after pulling up the app. The addition of the "NEWS" to the UI means that I am now forced to either rename my library's so that my music library is higher on the list, or I have to look at my phone every time I launch the app and take the extra minute EVERY time to browse to my library and begin playing my music.
    I am a PLEX Pass member, and I have made every one of my friends aware of PLEX, and managed to get a few of them to join as well. If I don't see this resolved within the next two updates, I WILL being to push people away from this service.

• adamstewiegreenadamstewiegreen Posts: 100Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mickeldaelmans said:

But instead of commiting to that, Plex introduced a new feature that, judging from the users on this forum, very little people were waiting for (..but Plex will probably counter that with their "our magic invisible users living in our corporate b-holes do like this feature!", a corporate line probably enforced by the money-lending investors).

Have you been to their facebook page? People seem to like the feature. I'm thinking if the forum users want change they may need to start disrupting Plex's facebook page. Complain in comments about old bugs and missing features. Make the company look bad in public.

• markcurrancavanmarkcurrancavan Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have to say this is so so disappointing and will likely over time be the end of plex as a private streaming media solution. I suspect this only the start of more unwanted channels forced onto our end user experience.

I've loved plex for years and have recommended it to many of my friends some of whom are now also paid subscription users. However, if this continues and we get forced to see content on our 'private' libraries it will be time to move onto some other alternatives.

This should be simple, if your a paid plex pass user you should have control to disable this type of functionality.

BTW... I have also rated the updated plex app on roku and android as a 1 star, maybe if everyone does who dislikes this being forced onto us it might get the company to rethink - although I won't hold my breath !!!

• mauirixxxmauirixxx Posts: 156Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 2017

@wheatism said:

@bantoot said:
    Going to sorry I asked this, but why are the posters so upset that this is news in now on Plex?

And if I wanted this cr*p I could have installed it via a Channel....which is optional. I use Plex to watch MY media, on MY server...I don't want news never have, never will.

While I understand you don't want the new News section, given your internet outrage, you (and a lot of other disgruntled posters apparently) are reacting like the Plex devs/app is FORCING you (all) to use/watch it.

Seriously, what is so hard about just scrolling past it and ignoring it? Can you not still use Plex to watch YOUR media (haha) on YOUR server?

I mean, it's not like we didn't know it was coming, they've been talking about it for awhile now, and NOW everyone's pissed off about it?

I checked it out, realized it's something I'm not going to use, and got on with using Plex how I wanted to, by streaming a video from my home server to my phone, without getting angry or butthurt over a new feature I don't care about or want. Until Plex gives us a way to remove (or even if they don't) it's just going to be a feature that will go on being ignored and unused ... it's no big deal really.

-- mauirixxx
    Linux - Unofficial CentOS 6 install instructions - step by step!
    WIndows - Easy edit your hosts file to resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1 - only needed if you time out trying to manage your Plex server locally in Windows Vista / 7 and http://localhost:32400/manage keeps timing out!

TV Shows getting listed wrong?
    Verify your files are named per the Plex Media Server guide - if they're not, use FileBot to quickly and painlessly rename your media into a format Plex Media Server recommends!
  • jojoveejojovee Posts: 10Members ✭✭

@mauirixxx said:

@wheatism said:

@bantoot said:

And if I wanted this cr*p I could have installed it via a Channel....which is optional. I use Plex to watch MY media, on MY server...I don't want news never have, never will.

While I understand you don't want the new News section, given your internet outrage, you (and a lot of other disgruntled posters apparently) are reacting like the Plex devs/app is FORCING you (all) to use/watch it.

Seriously, what is so hard about just scrolling past it and ignoring it? Can you not still use Plex to watch YOUR media (haha) on YOUR server?

I mean, it's not like we didn't know it was coming, they've been talking about it for awhile now, and NOW everyone's pissed off about it?

I checked it out, realized it's something I'm not going to use, and got on with using Plex how I wanted to, by streaming a video from my home server to my phone, without getting angry or butthurt over a new feature I don't care about or want. Until Plex gives us a way to remove (or even if they don't) it's just going to be a feature that will go on being ignored and unused ... it's no big deal really.

You don't seem to understand. It's not about using/watching it or not, it's about the fact that I've got my plex set up where all my categories are showing nicely on my screen in my Apple TV but with the introduction of News, it's kicked one category off screen so now I have to scroll right every time to see it. It's about the ability in not having something forced on to you without having the ability to turn it off or delete it altogether. If I wanted news, I would download my local news app and watch that instead on my Apple TV. If I thought it would allow me the ability to turn off News I would subscribe just to be able to have that ability but apparently it doesn't matter if you're a subscriber or not.

• colintempcolintemp Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It's surely clear that the value-add is to Plex, not to the users. Are we really so short of news sources that we need to fire up Plex just to get news? More importantly, who decides what news we get to see? Plex getting "smarter" about the news that interests us really means Plex getting more data that they can try to monetise.

Seriously, is anyone going to choose Plex over Media Software X because Plex provides news?

Now, nothing wrong with Plex trying to generate more profit, but the people who are losing out are users like me who simply wish that Plex would spend time on providing REAL features - my pet ones: movie collections and the ability to read .cue files for music.

Again, nothing wrong with Plex trying to make money. But it seems to me that their strategy is to ignore current users, especially those like me who have already paid their lifetime subscription, because, hey, they've got our money - nothing more to get out of us, so why listen to us any more, right?

• steerpike999steerpike999 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

How do I disable Newscast????
    Why is this here, more noise from Plex.
    I didn't ask for this.
    How about spending some time fixing the problems the Plex app has, like the fact it has stopped being able to direct Play a large amount of videos on the Apple TV. Something VLC and Infuse seem to be able to do without any issues.
    How has such a great app like Plex turned into this massive pile of S$%T ?